protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

Ben Coman
[Forwarded to pharo-dev for side discussion...]

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Kateryna Aloshkina
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> I've just joined the community:) and have a question
>> How to write the method count: such that, when invoked on an instance of
>> Counter, instance variable is set to the argument given to the message?
>> so that
>> Counter new count: 7
>> would set the value of a new Counter instance to 7
>> (It is a little exercise from
>> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-Counter.pdf)
>>

>> Best wishes,
>> Kateryna
>
> Welcome Kateryna,
> I hope you are having fun and Pharo changes the way you think about programming.
>
> Referring to Figure 1.2, assuming you've already created the class,
> first make sure you are on the instance-side rather than the class-side
> of the class such that the class definition in the bottom (code) pane
> looks just like Figure 1.2.  Click the <Class> button to toggle which
> side you look at.
>
> Now in the third (protocols) pane on "no messages"
> and you will get a method template in the code pane
>
> Change... messageSelectorAndArgumentNames
> to... count:
>
> then change.... statements
> to an assignment to the instance variable.
> and <Accept> the the code to save & compile the method.

To be pedantic, shouldn't "no messages" actually be "no methods"
But maybe even better would be... "click for method template" ?

cheers -ben

Re: protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

philippeback
To be pedantic it should be "no protocols" because as soon as you add one, you get

--all--
someaddedprotocol

even if there is no method.

Phil

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[Forwarded to pharo-dev for side discussion...]

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Kateryna Aloshkina
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> I've just joined the community:) and have a question
>> How to write the method count: such that, when invoked on an instance of
>> Counter, instance variable is set to the argument given to the message?
>> so that
>> Counter new count: 7
>> would set the value of a new Counter instance to 7
>> (It is a little exercise from
>> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-Counter.pdf)
>>

>> Best wishes,
>> Kateryna
>
> Welcome Kateryna,
> I hope you are having fun and Pharo changes the way you think about programming.
>
> Referring to Figure 1.2, assuming you've already created the class,
> first make sure you are on the instance-side rather than the class-side
> of the class such that the class definition in the bottom (code) pane
> looks just like Figure 1.2.  Click the <Class> button to toggle which
> side you look at.
>
> Now in the third (protocols) pane on "no messages"
> and you will get a method template in the code pane
>
> Change... messageSelectorAndArgumentNames
> to... count:
>
> then change.... statements
> to an assignment to the instance variable.
> and <Accept> the the code to save & compile the method.

To be pedantic, shouldn't "no messages" actually be "no methods"
But maybe even better would be... "click for method template" ?

cheers -ben

Re: protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

stepharong

> To be pedantic, shouldn't "no messages" actually be "no methods"
> But maybe even better would be... "click for method template" ?

send a fix :)

> cheers -ben

Re: protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

Ben Coman
Nope. I'll see your pedantic, and raise you...

Clicking on "no messages" and adding a method you get...
--all--
as yet unclassified.

So "no protocols" goes away, but there are still no protocols.

(pedantic poker, fun for all the family)
cheers -ben

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:56 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To be pedantic it should be "no protocols" because as soon as you add one,
> you get
>
> --all--
> someaddedprotocol
>
> even if there is no method.
>
> Phil
>
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [Forwarded to pharo-dev for side discussion...]
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Welcome Kateryna,
>> > I hope you are having fun and Pharo changes the way you think about
>> > programming.
>> >
>> > Referring to Figure 1.2, assuming you've already created the class,
>> > first make sure you are on the instance-side rather than the class-side
>> > of the class such that the class definition in the bottom (code) pane
>> > looks just like Figure 1.2.  Click the <Class> button to toggle which
>> > side you look at.
>> >
>> > Now in the third (protocols) pane on "no messages"
>> > and you will get a method template in the code pane
>> >
>> > Change... messageSelectorAndArgumentNames
>> > to... count:
>> >
>> > then change.... statements
>> > to an assignment to the instance variable.
>> > and <Accept> the the code to save & compile the method.
>>
>> To be pedantic, shouldn't "no messages" actually be "no methods"
>> But maybe even better would be... "click for method template" ?
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

philippeback
Hi Ben,

Yes and no.
Because you can add a protocol right away without any method and end up in my layout.

Pedantically yours,
Phil

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope. I'll see your pedantic, and raise you...

Clicking on "no messages" and adding a method you get...
--all--
as yet unclassified.

So "no protocols" goes away, but there are still no protocols.

(pedantic poker, fun for all the family)
cheers -ben

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:56 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To be pedantic it should be "no protocols" because as soon as you add one,
> you get
>
> --all--
> someaddedprotocol
>
> even if there is no method.
>
> Phil
>
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [Forwarded to pharo-dev for side discussion...]
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Welcome Kateryna,
>> > I hope you are having fun and Pharo changes the way you think about
>> > programming.
>> >
>> > Referring to Figure 1.2, assuming you've already created the class,
>> > first make sure you are on the instance-side rather than the class-side
>> > of the class such that the class definition in the bottom (code) pane
>> > looks just like Figure 1.2.  Click the <Class> button to toggle which
>> > side you look at.
>> >
>> > Now in the third (protocols) pane on "no messages"
>> > and you will get a method template in the code pane
>> >
>> > Change... messageSelectorAndArgumentNames
>> > to... count:
>> >
>> > then change.... statements
>> > to an assignment to the instance variable.
>> > and <Accept> the the code to save & compile the method.
>>
>> To be pedantic, shouldn't "no messages" actually be "no methods"
>> But maybe even better would be... "click for method template" ?
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: protocol pane "no messages" Re: [Pharo-users] setter method

Nicolas Passerini
I will add that I doubt that any filetree repository (or at least its metadata-less versions) repository is capable of remembering an empty protocol.