question 1 of n :-) Parallelism

Pete F
The indpendent misinterpretations interview left me yelling "for
goodness sake, ask him about the...." at my mp3 player, but it didn't
seem to work so...

question 1, parallelism etc

It strikes me that one of the big wins from running on the JVM is the
possibility of native threads on a free threaded vm.

Perhaps I have drunk too much "parallel revolution" kool-aid, but it
seems to me that the Smalltalk community has its head in the sand
somewhat in this respect.

I'm certainly not after any definitive functionality   -but I was
wondering what the general vision/thinking was around "concurrent
smalltalk on redline"

Is Smalltalk fundamentally wedded to the dreaded mutable shared state,
and/or  -is there hope?

regards
Pete

Re: question 1 of n :-) Parallelism

James Ladd
Hi Pete F,

Thank you for taking the time to post a question and for listening to
the podcast.

One of the big wins for running on the JVM will be the availability of
the Concurrent libraries
available to Java.

See here for a list of the things you will be able to play with via
Redline.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/package-summary.html

Redline would differ from 'other' Smalltalks if that difference were
to make it more
concurrent.

I hope you follow along with Redline and keep shouting at the
podcasts :)

Rgs, James.