question about mouse gestures

Fernando olivero
Hello, has there been an implementation of mouse gesture support in squeak or pharo?

Fernando

Re: question about mouse gestures

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 25, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Hello, has there been an implementation of mouse gesture support in squeak or pharo?

Nathanael did way back in 2000 an implementation of gestures called Genie.

It had to bypass the event architecture of Morphic to get enough resolution, these hacks
we removed in Pharo... (as they meant checking in the main rendering loop if genie wanted
to take over controll...).

But for sure, it would be easy to add the required overrides into the genie package itself.

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/genie/genieIntroduction.htm

Ned Konz took over genie at some point and integrated it nicely with connectors... the repository
is still online:

http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/monticello/Genie/

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: question about mouse gestures

Fernando olivero
Thanks Marcus, i will look at them and see if its worth reusing or starting from scratch.

For example, i  want to be able to delete windows or shapes by drawing an X (or a scribble)  above them.

Fernando

On Mar 25, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> Hello, has there been an implementation of mouse gesture support in squeak or pharo?
>>

> Nathanael did way back in 2000 an implementation of gestures called Genie.
>
> It had to bypass the event architecture of Morphic to get enough resolution, these hacks
> we removed in Pharo... (as they meant checking in the main rendering loop if genie wanted
> to take over controll...).
>
> But for sure, it would be easy to add the required overrides into the genie package itself.
>
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/genie/genieIntroduction.htm
>

> Ned Konz took over genie at some point and integrated it nicely with connectors... the repository
> is still online:
>
> http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/monticello/Genie/
>

> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: question about mouse gestures

Stéphane Ducasse
Fernando

Please do not restart from scratch the code of nathanael was good. Have a look at the comments... :)
I asked nathanael to get an image so that we can demo it. I should reping him
He went to show to MIT and samsung research lab what he did

What would be nice to do is to understand how we can hook Genie with the new event architecture of Pharo.
Alain should release the event hierarchy of sophie so that we include it.

Stef