Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

questions about internals

Lee Breisacher-2
I've been studying the internals just so I can get more familiar and perhaps lend a hand in there sometimes. Here's my sketchy understanding and some questions and comments.

- Every Smalltalk object is an instance of ProtoObject, even Integers. Also Classes and Metaclasses. 
- ProtoObject has these inst vars:
  - cls, another ProtoObject, the ST class of the ST object.
  - superclass, another ProtoObject, the ST superclass of the ST object.
  - javaValue, a concrete Java object representing the ST object, e.g. a BigInteger for ST Integers, a String for ST String (literals). For "ordinary" ST objects, this is null.
  - name, a String which appears to be used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
  - packages, ?
  - instanceVariables, a Map<String, ProtoObject> containing the list of ST inst var names. Not sure what the value side of the Map is used for. Looks like this is used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
  - methods, a Map<String, ProtoMethod> containing the methods for this class. Again, it appears to be used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
  - variables, a Map<String, ProtoObject> containing the ST instance variables for an ST object. 
- Every Smalltalk method is an instance of ProtoMethod (which holds generated jvm bytecodes? and where do java Methods come into play?).
- Message sending is done somewhat like an ordinary Smalltalk would do it -- look up a selector in the receiver's class's method dictionary (and superclass dictionaries), and invoke the method. 
- ThisContext represents a stack frame.
- ProtoBlock represents a ST Block and is a subclass of ProtoMethod.

Is that basically correct? 

My biggest question is why Smalltalk classes and metaclasses are not implemented as separate subclasses of ProtoObject, more cleanly separating the instance variables in ProtoObject. It seems odd to me that everything is an instance of ProtoObject, and that ProtoObject has several instance variables that appear to be only used by classes and metaclasses, not ordinary objects. Similarly, I don't see why ProtoMethod is a subclass of ProtoObject -- does a ProtoMethod actually use/inherit anything from ProtoObject? 

A minor question: Why ProtoObject? Why not SmalltalkObject?

I expected to see a java class hierarchy something like this:

SmalltalkObject (SmalltalkClass class, Map<String, SmalltalkObject> variables)
  SmalltalkClass (String name, List<String> instanceVariables, SmalltalkClass superclass, Map<String, ProtoMethod> methods)
    SmalltalkMetaclass (SmalltalkClass thisClass)

Or even more finely broken down to match the Smalltalk Behavior hierarchy? 

Some other random comments and questions:

- I see several places where System.out.println statements are commented out. This kind of thing is typically done using a logging framework such as log4j. Is there a reason why you did not use one? It's not too late!

- As I mentioned elsewhere, none of the primitive methods in Primitives.java are commented. I would expect at least a very brief description or perhaps just the Smalltalk class/method that it goes with.

- I'm surprised there are not more unit tests for all the primitives. 

- I'm surprised there are not unit tests for the Smalltalk compiler and bytecode generator. How were these things developed? 

Sorry this sounds so critical, I'm trying to be constructive and helpful. I'd like to see this effort succeed, but I'm concerned.

Thanks,

Lee

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: questions about internals

James Ladd
Answer / comments inline.

Thanks for taking the time to look into the internals so deeply.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Lee Breisacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been studying the internals just so I can get more familiar and perhaps lend a hand in there sometimes. Here's my sketchy understanding and some questions and comments.

- Every Smalltalk object is an instance of ProtoObject, even Integers. Also Classes and Metaclasses. 
true.

- javaValue, a concrete Java object representing the ST object, e.g. a BigInteger for ST Integers, a String for ST String (literals). For "ordinary" ST objects, this is null.
true.
  - name, a String which appears to be used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
true
  - packages, ?
Packages is the map of packages imported into this object

- instanceVariables, a Map<String, ProtoObject> containing the list of ST inst var names. Not sure what the value side of the Map is used for.
Looks like this is used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
True - used to indicate the variables to create when making an instance of this class.
  - methods, a Map<String, ProtoMethod> containing the methods for this class. Again, it appears to be used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
true
  - variables, a Map<String, ProtoObject> containing the ST instance variables for an ST object. 
true
- Every Smalltalk method is an instance of ProtoMethod (which holds generated jvm bytecodes? and where do java Methods come into play?).
True - Which Java methods are you referring to here, those defined in external java classes?

- Message sending is done somewhat like an ordinary Smalltalk would do it -- look up a selector in the receiver's class's method dictionary (and superclass dictionaries), and invoke the method. 
true
true
true

Well understood.

My biggest question is why Smalltalk classes and metaclasses are not implemented as separate subclasses of ProtoObject, more cleanly separating the instance variables in ProtoObject. It seems odd to me that everything is an instance of ProtoObject, and that ProtoObject has several instance variables that appear to be only used by classes and metaclasses, not ordinary objects. Similarly, I don't see why ProtoMethod is a subclass of ProtoObject -- does a ProtoMethod actually use/inherit anything from ProtoObject? 
I have considered the approach of splitting things more. I did that initially and it caused some problems, then I put them together again.
Essentially as long as SomeObject supports a message send, the rest should be un-required.

Tomatoe / Tomarto - ProtoObject is less to type and is a little analogous to ProtoObject in Pharo.Also - It isnt a SmalltalkObject, its a Prototype.

SmalltalkClass (String name, List<String> instanceVariables, SmalltalkClass superclass, Map<String, ProtoMethod> methods)

It appears easier to match the hierarchy but that road leads to pain, since you then have to map what the compiler/interpreter is doing
and the underlying class hierarchy. The most important thing is that everything is an Object, not subclasses of Object.

- I see several places where System.out.println statements are commented out. This kind of thing is typically done using a logging framework such as log4j. Is there a reason why you did not use one? It's not too late!
Sure, which one should we use? This presents some issue, it also means we get further away from a Smalltalk solution - should the logging in java also be the logging in smalltalk, how should they interract?

- As I mentioned elsewhere, none of the primitive methods in Primitives.java are commented. I would expect at least a very brief description or perhaps just the Smalltalk class/method that it goes with.
I agree. 

I agree. Time is my enemy at the moment and he is very elusive.

- I'm surprised there are not unit tests for the Smalltalk compiler and bytecode generator. How were these things developed? 
How do you suggest unit tests for the compiler and bytecode generator are done?
I did do this in previous versions, and it got cumbersome. Again, time got me here.

Sorry this sounds so critical, I'm trying to be constructive and helpful. I'd like to see this effort succeed, but I'm concerned.

Thanks,

Lee

All good.
Reply | Threaded
|

James Ladd
oh - you also want to keep in mind the amount of chicken and egg that exists in
Smalltalk - For example, How do you send a message to an object to make an
instance, when that instance is required before you can send a message?

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Answer / comments inline.

Thanks for taking the time to look into the internals so deeply.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Lee Breisacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

true.

true.
true
  - packages, ?
Packages is the map of packages imported into this object

- instanceVariables, a Map<String, ProtoObject> containing the list of ST inst var names. Not sure what the value side of the Map is used for.
Looks like this is used just for ST classes and metaclasses, not ordinary ST objects.
True - used to indicate the variables to create when making an instance of this class.
true
true
True - Which Java methods are you referring to here, those defined in external java classes?

true
true
true

Well understood.

I have considered the approach of splitting things more. I did that initially and it caused some problems, then I put them together again.
Essentially as long as SomeObject supports a message send, the rest should be un-required.

Tomatoe / Tomarto - ProtoObject is less to type and is a little analogous to ProtoObject in Pharo.Also - It isnt a SmalltalkObject, its a Prototype.

It appears easier to match the hierarchy but that road leads to pain, since you then have to map what the compiler/interpreter is doing
and the underlying class hierarchy. The most important thing is that everything is an Object, not subclasses of Object.

Sure, which one should we use? This presents some issue, it also means we get further away from a Smalltalk solution - should the logging in java also be the logging in smalltalk, how should they interract?

I agree. 

I did do this in previous versions, and it got cumbersome. Again, time got me here.

Thanks,

Lee

All good.

Reply | Threaded
|

Lee Breisacher-2
In reply to this post by James Ladd
It isnt a SmalltalkObject, its a Prototype 

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you have some special meaning behind the term Prototype? Like js objects? It seems to me that (an instance of) a Redline ProtoObject *is* (an instance of) a Smalltalk object.  

No no. I'm just wondering how ProtoMethods are related to java methods. Don't the generated bytecodes need to be "attached" to a java method somehow in order to be executed? 

Sure, which one should we use? This presents some issue, it also means we get further away from a Smalltalk solution  

I like log4j, but mostly just because I've used it so much. I think the built-in jdk logging is probably fine too. I don't see how this "gets further away from smalltalk" -- I'm just talking about implementation logging to assist with debugging. Since the impl is written in java, it makes sense to do java logging.

- should the logging in java also be the logging in smalltalk, how should they interract? 

Not what I was thinking. Seems to me that Smalltalk logging can/should be separate, but now that you mention it, I suppose it would be nice if there was Smalltalk logging that was just a wrapper around some standard java logging. 

I agree.  

I suppose I could volunteer to do some of this, and unit tests. I know it's not your highest priority, but I feel it's pretty important. 

At the risk of sounding like a nagging mother, I claim that unit tests save you time in the long (or even medium) run. 

I did do this in previous versions, and it got cumbersome. 

I haven't thought about it at all, but there must be a way. I'll give it some thought...

keep in mind the amount of chicken and egg...

Yeah, good point. Thinking about metaclasses is always a bit mind-bending. But you seem to have a good handle on it via the Bootstrap class. 

How do you send a message to an object to make an instance, when that instance is required before you can send a message?

I understand chicken/egg issues, but I don't understand this example. You send a message to a *class* object to create an instance of the class. What's the issue?

Lee
Reply | Threaded
|

James Ladd
I bunched up my responses as inline seems like a good idea until I got your additional response :)

re: Prototype.
It is a prototype in that you build it up and then 'new' it to become a real instance.
Personally I'm not that happy with ProtoObject and it could be made so much cleaner and simpler.
The benefit of hindsight.

re: Smalltalk methods and java methods
Smalltalk methods become java methods when the compiler creates a subclass of the class ProtoMethod and
overrides the appropriate applyTo() method to execute the bytecode contained within your smalltalk method.
Each smalltalk method becomes a class whose sole method is applyTo()

re: Logging
I did have a version of Redline that uses logging, SL4J as it gave a lot of flexibility. However, the output was rather verbose.
I guess we can put it back at some point.

re: Primitives
I agree it would be much better if we had a description of what each primitive did.
Will look at adding these and not accepting pull requests without them.

re: unit testing
While the code may not show it, im a BIG fan of unit testing.
One version of Redline was entirely written using TDD, including a hand written compiler.
It is a good way to go and it was always my intention to drive things out this way.
Not sure exactly why this got dropped or forgotten or sidetracked.
I'm also not sure how to get back on track with all the test coverage.

re: unit testing ANTLR
I have seen some unit tests around ANTLR and grammars and I think as a minimum
it would be nice to have this covered too.

BIG QUESTION: Would people be willing to wait for a V1.0 while we added coverage?

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Lee Breisacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
It isnt a SmalltalkObject, its a Prototype 

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you have some special meaning behind the term Prototype? Like js objects? It seems to me that (an instance of) a Redline ProtoObject *is* (an instance of) a Smalltalk object.  

No no. I'm just wondering how ProtoMethods are related to java methods. Don't the generated bytecodes need to be "attached" to a java method somehow in order to be executed? 

Sure, which one should we use? This presents some issue, it also means we get further away from a Smalltalk solution  

I like log4j, but mostly just because I've used it so much. I think the built-in jdk logging is probably fine too. I don't see how this "gets further away from smalltalk" -- I'm just talking about implementation logging to assist with debugging. Since the impl is written in java, it makes sense to do java logging.

- should the logging in java also be the logging in smalltalk, how should they interract? 

Not what I was thinking. Seems to me that Smalltalk logging can/should be separate, but now that you mention it, I suppose it would be nice if there was Smalltalk logging that was just a wrapper around some standard java logging. 

I agree.  

I suppose I could volunteer to do some of this, and unit tests. I know it's not your highest priority, but I feel it's pretty important. 

At the risk of sounding like a nagging mother, I claim that unit tests save you time in the long (or even medium) run. 

I did do this in previous versions, and it got cumbersome. 

I haven't thought about it at all, but there must be a way. I'll give it some thought...

keep in mind the amount of chicken and egg...

Yeah, good point. Thinking about metaclasses is always a bit mind-bending. But you seem to have a good handle on it via the Bootstrap class. 

How do you send a message to an object to make an instance, when that instance is required before you can send a message?

I understand chicken/egg issues, but I don't understand this example. You send a message to a *class* object to create an instance of the class. What's the issue?

Lee

Reply | Threaded
|

Lee Breisacher-2
Would people be willing to wait for a V1.0 while we added coverage?

Obviously, this person would. But not just because I'm a unit test fanatic/purist. Rather because, while writing Smalltalk code to fill out the class hierarchy, I'd like to be totally confident that the lower layers are solid. So far, my progress has been quite slow due to things like VerifyError, the "comma" problem, etc. Not that unit tests would magically fix all such problems, but I hold out hope...
Reply | Threaded
|

bobcalco
Hi James,

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 4:21 AM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
I bunched up my responses as inline seems like a good idea until I got your additional response :)

re: Prototype.
It is a prototype in that you build it up and then 'new' it to become a real instance.
Personally I'm not that happy with ProtoObject and it could be made so much cleaner and simpler.
The benefit of hindsight.

Assuming there can only be one, I think this is the sine qua non of v1. ProtoObject seems very critical to the way the whole runtime works, and is worth all the love it can get.

re: Smalltalk methods and java methods
Smalltalk methods become java methods when the compiler creates a subclass of the class ProtoMethod and
overrides the appropriate applyTo() method to execute the bytecode contained within your smalltalk method.
Each smalltalk method becomes a class whose sole method is applyTo()

re: Logging
I did have a version of Redline that uses logging, SL4J as it gave a lot of flexibility. However, the output was rather verbose.
I guess we can put it back at some point.

Personally, I think the compiler and runtime should be written using Spring, where many of these orthogonal concerns can be plug'n'play, and they can be extended in a clean, consistent way. 

re: Primitives
I agree it would be much better if we had a description of what each primitive did.
Will look at adding these and not accepting pull requests without them.

re: unit testing
While the code may not show it, im a BIG fan of unit testing.
One version of Redline was entirely written using TDD, including a hand written compiler.
It is a good way to go and it was always my intention to drive things out this way.
Not sure exactly why this got dropped or forgotten or sidetracked.
I'm also not sure how to get back on track with all the test coverage.

I think Lee has volunteered to do that. ;-) 

re: unit testing ANTLR
I have seen some unit tests around ANTLR and grammars and I think as a minimum
it would be nice to have this covered too.

BIG QUESTION: Would people be willing to wait for a V1.0 while we added coverage?

Yes. But I'm willing to wait for the 'work from an image in a nice graphical environment' functionality, though, so consider me an outlier. ;)

- Bob 

Reply | Threaded
|

SeanTAllen
In reply to this post by Lee Breisacher-2

On Sunday, January 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Lee Breisacher wrote:

Note that in squeak/pharo

a metaclass is not a class.

both metaclass & class descend from class description.

Reply | Threaded
|

SeanTAllen

On Sunday, January 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM, James Ladd wrote:

Yes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lee Breisacher-2
In reply to this post by SeanTAllen
> a metaclass is not a class

Well...we could argue about semantics I suppose. Yes, technically Metaclass is not a subclass of Class, but speaking informally there's no question that a metaclass is a class. 

Right, that's why I mentioned "Or even more finely broken down to match the Smalltalk Behavior hierarchy?".

Reply | Threaded
|

James Ladd
A mataclass is a class who's instances are classes

Sent from my iPhone

On 03/01/2012, at 5:46 PM, Lee Breisacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> a metaclass is not a class

Well...we could argue about semantics I suppose. Yes, technically Metaclass is not a subclass of Class, but speaking informally there's no question that a metaclass is a class. 

Right, that's why I mentioned "Or even more finely broken down to match the Smalltalk Behavior hierarchy?".