quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

I've made a quick poll because I'm interested in the distribution of Pharo users among OSes.
It's a single anonymous question, so it shouldn't take more than five seconds to complete :)

http://strawpoll.me/4001583

Thanks :)

Peter

Peter

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

Bernat Romagosa

I think that's because we GNU/Linux users tend to reply quicker when asked which OS we use.

El dia 31/03/2015 7.58, "kilon alios" <[hidden email]> va escriure:
more linux than mac ? thats a surprise .

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've made a quick poll because I'm interested in the distribution of Pharo users among OSes.
It's a single anonymous question, so it shouldn't take more than five seconds to complete :)

http://strawpoll.me/4001583

Thanks :)

Peter

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

NorbertHartl

Am 31.03.2015 um 07:58 schrieb kilon alios <[hidden email]>:

more linux than mac ? thats a surprise .

You didn't ask about desktop (GUI) or server (headless). There probably a lot of people having a server running somewhere. I clicked both options: Mac and Linux

Norbert

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've made a quick poll because I'm interested in the distribution of Pharo users among OSes.
It's a single anonymous question, so it shouldn't take more than five seconds to complete :)

http://strawpoll.me/4001583

Thanks :)

Peter

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 31 Mar 2015, at 08:05, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You didn't ask about desktop (GUI) or server (headless). There probably a lot of people having a server running somewhere. I clicked both options: Mac and Linux

Me too, for the same reason. Desktop/server linux are two very different profiles.

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

philippeback

Le 31 mars 2015 08:17, "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > On 31 Mar 2015, at 08:05, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > You didn't ask about desktop (GUI) or server (headless). There probably a lot of people having a server running somewhere. I clicked both options: Mac and Linux
>
> Me too, for the same reason. Desktop/server linux are two very different profiles.

I am using CzntOS 6.6 Linux for both client and server. Can't click twice ;-)

I haven't been using OSX anymore because there was always that annoying difference in the environment that was bringing surprises at deployment time.

There is a CentOS VM now but still not a first class zeroconf citizen, which I feel is very bad when one sees that CentOS/RHEL is used a *hell of a lot* in the enterprise. I need to work on that.

Phil

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

Jan Blizničenko
Greater surprise for me is that amount of Windows is greater than zero :) Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one stubborn fool who still uses that thing :)

Jan

kilon.alios wrote
more linux than mac ? thats a surprise .

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

kilon.alios
you are not alone. As a matter of fact my iMac's MacOS runs also windows 8 and ubuntu 14 in the Virtualbox VM. I was tempted to install windows as dual boot on my iMac because of a game I really like (Smite) but the temptation has not been strong enough. In any case supporting most platforms is my goal as (I assume) is the goal of most pharoers. Windoom will remain a necessary evil for a long long time.

Yes I completely forgot that linux reigns supreme on servers. Makes sense now with the mandatory web dev.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Jan B. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greater surprise for me is that amount of Windows is greater than zero :)
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one stubborn fool who still uses that
thing :)

Jan

kilon.alios wrote
> more linux than mac ? thats a surprise .

Re: quick poll - which OS do you use for Pharo?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 31/03/15 07:58, kilon alios wrote:
> more linux than mac ? thats a surprise .

As a development desktop I recently build
a silent 4790K i7 with a Philips 40" UHD.
That was about half the price of the mac
equivalent. I strongly prefer the mac
interface, but this is more similar to
the server. The laptops are all macs.
Just pragmatic choices. If there had