quitting OLPC etoys

Randy Heiland
I honestly can't remember now what it was like w/ etoys "classic" on Windows, but for OLPC etoys on OSX, I'll just comment that it seems confusing that the "Quit Squeak VM" menu item is disable and one quits via File->"Quit do not save".  In spite of the fact that I know I've just saved/kept a current project, being told to "Quit do not save" strikes me as the wrong thing to say and would seem to really confuse a child.

just an observation :)
-Randy

Re: quitting OLPC etoys

Bert Freudenberg

On Sep 27, 2007, at 9:34 , Randy Heiland wrote:

> I honestly can't remember now what it was like w/ etoys "classic"
> on Windows, but for OLPC etoys on OSX, I'll just comment that it
> seems confusing that the "Quit Squeak VM" menu item is disable and
> one quits via File->"Quit do not save".  In spite of the fact that
> I know I've just saved/kept a current project, being told to "Quit
> do not save" strikes me as the wrong thing to say and would seem to
> really confuse a child.
>
> just an observation :)

You're not supposed to use that menu option ;)

But I agree, this has always been distracting. Now we actually do
support the window close request in the Etoys image. It works fine on
Linux, when you close the Etoys window it will ask if you want to
really quit and then you can say yes/no. We just have to find out how
to coerce the Mac VM to also issue that event when clicking the
window close box or choosing the quit menu item. Cc'ing John to
explain ...

- Bert -

Re: quitting OLPC etoys

Bert Freudenberg

On Sep 27, 2007, at 17:42 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 9:34 , Randy Heiland wrote:
>
>> I honestly can't remember now what it was like w/ etoys "classic"
>> on Windows, but for OLPC etoys on OSX, I'll just comment that it
>> seems confusing that the "Quit Squeak VM" menu item is disable and
>> one quits via File->"Quit do not save".  In spite of the fact that
>> I know I've just saved/kept a current project, being told to "Quit
>> do not save" strikes me as the wrong thing to say and would seem
>> to really confuse a child.
>>
>> just an observation :)
>
> You're not supposed to use that menu option ;)
>
> But I agree, this has always been distracting. Now we actually do
> support the window close request in the Etoys image. It works fine
> on Linux, when you close the Etoys window it will ask if you want
> to really quit and then you can say yes/no. We just have to find
> out how to coerce the Mac VM to also issue that event when clicking
> the window close box or choosing the quit menu item. Cc'ing John to
> explain ...

Ah. The window close button can be enabled by setting
SqueakWindowAttribute to <8200001f > in the VM's info.plist. And when
pressing it, the image indeed asks and then quits. Yay! Now we just
need to find out how to change the menu ...

- Bert -

Re: quitting OLPC etoys

johnmci
The Scratch application uses the same macintosh VM, however they use
the macintosh menu package to customize the menu to clean up the quit
menu item confusion.

Historically the "quit do not save" menu item was there to enable the
Squeak developers to quit the macintosh VM without involving the
Smalltalk code. This was handy when your
Squeak image had crashed. Today under os-x it's quit easy for a user
to do a force quit via the Dock or Process list.   The "Quit Squeak
VM" by default is disable because that triggers a quit application
event which is not handled by the Smalltalk code unless you load and
configure the macintosh menu package. I had sent that work to the
3.10 team in January of this year for integration.

For EToys I could suggest.

(a) Customize the mac menus to set them up the way they should be and
handle the quit menu item, as per the 3.10 team, or as Scratch has done.

(b) Customize the VM info.plist to set a close window control on the
main window,  then use the ffenestri logic to see that a close window
event for window "0" has happened.
        I'll note the current VM supports running without a window, also see
the info.plist entry SqueakExplicitWindowOpenNeeded to setup the VM
to use ffenestri logic to
        open the window via smalltalk coding, versus VM control.

(c) Lastly use the info.plist entry SqueakQuitOnQuitAppleEvent to
terminate squeak if the operating system sents a quit application
event (usually happens at logout time).

The last time item (b) and (c) would require a VM for Etoys. Option
(a) would work with any VM created in the last few years.

On Sep 27, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 9:34 , Randy Heiland wrote:
>
>> I honestly can't remember now what it was like w/ etoys "classic"
>> on Windows, but for OLPC etoys on OSX, I'll just comment that it
>> seems confusing that the "Quit Squeak VM" menu item is disable and
>> one quits via File->"Quit do not save".  In spite of the fact that
>> I know I've just saved/kept a current project, being told to "Quit
>> do not save" strikes me as the wrong thing to say and would seem
>> to really confuse a child.
>>
>> just an observation :)
>
> You're not supposed to use that menu option ;)
>
> But I agree, this has always been distracting. Now we actually do
> support the window close request in the Etoys image. It works fine
> on Linux, when you close the Etoys window it will ask if you want
> to really quit and then you can say yes/no. We just have to find
> out how to coerce the Mac VM to also issue that event when clicking
> the window close box or choosing the quit menu item. Cc'ing John to
> explain ...
>
> - Bert -

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>