"whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

test email
I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?

I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try  "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do anything as well. The code looks like this:

whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
    Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.

I am using Pharo 7.

- Steve

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

Ben Coman
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 12:49, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?
>
> I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try  "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do anything as well. The code looks like this:
>
> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>     Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.
>
> I am using Pharo 7.

Can you FileOut the entire sample class and attached it?

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

Peter Kenny
Steve

How did you get the source code for the examples? Pages 12-13 of the "Spec UI Framework" booklet give the code for the methods of class WidgetClassList, and there we find:

WidgetClassList >> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
        list whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock

This looks very much like the 'when....' methods of all the other subclasses of ComposablePresenter. It should at least do something when activated.

HTH

Peter Kenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Ben Coman
Sent: 16 July 2019 15:42
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 12:49, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?
>
> I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try  "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do anything as well. The code looks like this:
>
> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>     Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.
>
> I am using Pharo 7.

Can you FileOut the entire sample class and attached it?

cheers -ben


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

test email
In reply to this post by Ben Coman
Ok, I filed out and it exported the file 'WidgetClassList.st' . This is the contents of the file:

'From Pharo7.0.3 of 12 April 2019 [Build information: Pharo-7.0.3+build.158.sha.0903ade8a6c96633f07e0a7f1baa9a5d48cfdf55 (64 Bit)] on 16 July 2019 at 3:58:28.785036 pm'!
ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList
instanceVariableNames: 'list'
classVariableNames: ''
poolDictionaries: ''
category: 'QuotesProg'!

!WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/10/2019 14:07'!
initializeWidgets
list := self newList.
list items: (AbstractWidgetPresenter allSubclasses
sorted: [:a :b | a name < b name ]).
self focusOrder add: list.! !


!WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'events-shortcuts' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/15/2019 21:40'!
whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
Transcript show: 'got here'; cr.
! !


!WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'api' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 6/26/2019 18:22'!
title
^ 'Widgets'! !

!WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'api' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/15/2019 19:09'!
list

^ list.! !

"-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- "!

WidgetClassList class
instanceVariableNames: ''!

!WidgetClassList class methodsFor: 'specs' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/10/2019 14:14'!
defaultSpec
^ SpecLayout composed
add: #list;
yourself! !

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 12:49, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?
>
> I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try  "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do anything as well. The code looks like this:
>
> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>     Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.
>
> I am using Pharo 7.

Can you FileOut the entire sample class and attached it?

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

Ben Coman
I'm not familiar with Spec but I'll have a go...

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 07:03, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 12:49, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?
>> >
>> > I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try  "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do anything as well. The code looks like this:
>> >
>> > whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>> >     Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.
>> >
>> > I am using Pharo 7.
>>
>> Can you FileOut the entire sample class and attached it?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>
> Ok, I filed out and it exported the file 'WidgetClassList.st' . This is the contents of the file:
>
> 'From Pharo7.0.3 of 12 April 2019 [Build information: Pharo-7.0.3+build.158.sha.0903ade8a6c96633f07e0a7f1baa9a5d48cfdf55 (64 Bit)] on 16 July 2019 at 3:58:28.785036 pm'!
> ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList
> instanceVariableNames: 'list'
> classVariableNames: ''
> poolDictionaries: ''
> category: 'QuotesProg'!
>
> !WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/10/2019 14:07'!
> initializeWidgets
> list := self newList.
> list items: (AbstractWidgetPresenter allSubclasses
> sorted: [:a :b | a name < b name ]).
> self focusOrder add: list.! !
>
>
> !WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'events-shortcuts' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/15/2019 21:40'!
> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
> Transcript show: 'got here'; cr.
> ! !

Looking at ListPresenter>>whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
it is registering aBlock on selectionHolder using #whenChangedDo:
Reviewing selectionHolder "Code search...>References to it" I see that
selectionHolder is initialized as an instance of SelectionHolderClass.

So it seems you are expecting whenSelectedItemChanged: to be called
every time the-selection-is-changed
when actually it is only called once (by your application) to register
the block-to-be-called when the-selection-is-changed.
You don't seem to have done any such registration.

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

Peter Kenny
Ben Coman wrote
> I'm not familiar with Spec but I'll have a go...
>
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 07:03, Steve Quezadas &lt;

> steveeq1@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Ben Coman &lt;

> btc@

> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 12:49, Steve Quezadas &lt;

> steveeq1@

> &gt; wrote:
>>> >
>>> > I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a
>>> widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter
>>> subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the
>>> "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select
>>> any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?
>>> >
>>> > I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try
>>> "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do
>>> anything as well. The code looks like this:
>>> >
>>> > whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>>> >     Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.
>>> >
>>> > I am using Pharo 7.
>>>
>>> Can you FileOut the entire sample class and attached it?
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>>
>>
>> Ok, I filed out and it exported the file 'WidgetClassList.st' . This is
>> the contents of the file:
>>
>> 'From Pharo7.0.3 of 12 April 2019 [Build information:
>> Pharo-7.0.3+build.158.sha.0903ade8a6c96633f07e0a7f1baa9a5d48cfdf55 (64
>> Bit)] on 16 July 2019 at 3:58:28.785036 pm'!
>> ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList
>> instanceVariableNames: 'list'
>> classVariableNames: ''
>> poolDictionaries: ''
>> category: 'QuotesProg'!
>>
>> !WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas
>> 7/10/2019 14:07'!
>> initializeWidgets
>> list := self newList.
>> list items: (AbstractWidgetPresenter allSubclasses
>> sorted: [:a :b | a name < b name ]).
>> self focusOrder add: list.! !
>>
>>
>> !WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'events-shortcuts' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas
>> 7/15/2019 21:40'!
>> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>> Transcript show: 'got here'; cr.
>> ! !
>
> Looking at ListPresenter>>whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
> it is registering aBlock on selectionHolder using #whenChangedDo:
> Reviewing selectionHolder "Code search...>References to it" I see that
> selectionHolder is initialized as an instance of SelectionHolderClass.
>
> So it seems you are expecting whenSelectedItemChanged: to be called
> every time the-selection-is-changed
> when actually it is only called once (by your application) to register
> the block-to-be-called when the-selection-is-changed.
> You don't seem to have done any such registration.
>
> cheers -ben

Essentially ben is right. The method WidgetClassList >> when
SelectedItemChanged: should just relay the message to the component
ListPresenter, in the instvar list, which will carry out the registration as
he describes. The problem is that this method seems to have been replaced by
a debugging method, which simply displays a progress message on the
Transcript. I think all you need is to enter the correct code for this
method as shown in the  'Spec UI Framework' booklet:

WidgetClassList >> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
        list whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock

This is at least worth a try. You will be sticking to the code as shown in
the booklet.

HTH

Peter Kenny




--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "whenSelectedItemChanged:" in Spec

test email
In reply to this post by Ben Coman
Oh, I see. Ok, I am somewhat new to pharo smalltalk so I'm getting used to the paradigm. Thank you. The best way to learn is to "do". I can learn a lot by trying to figure out ways around unexpected behavior.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 5:39 PM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not familiar with Spec but I'll have a go...

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 07:03, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 12:49, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am running through the "Spec UI Framework" tutorial, and in it has a widget class inherited from "ComposablePresenter" (ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList). But for some reason the "whenSelectedItemChanged:" method call does not execute when I select any item on the GUI list. Is there anything I'm missing?
>> >
>> > I posted this earlier on the list, and someone suggested I try  "whenActivatedDo:" or "whenSelectionChangedDo:", but it doesn't do anything as well. The code looks like this:
>> >
>> > whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
>> >     Transcript show: 'should get here; cr.
>> >
>> > I am using Pharo 7.
>>
>> Can you FileOut the entire sample class and attached it?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>
> Ok, I filed out and it exported the file 'WidgetClassList.st' . This is the contents of the file:
>
> 'From Pharo7.0.3 of 12 April 2019 [Build information: Pharo-7.0.3+build.158.sha.0903ade8a6c96633f07e0a7f1baa9a5d48cfdf55 (64 Bit)] on 16 July 2019 at 3:58:28.785036 pm'!
> ComposablePresenter subclass: #WidgetClassList
> instanceVariableNames: 'list'
> classVariableNames: ''
> poolDictionaries: ''
> category: 'QuotesProg'!
>
> !WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/10/2019 14:07'!
> initializeWidgets
> list := self newList.
> list items: (AbstractWidgetPresenter allSubclasses
> sorted: [:a :b | a name < b name ]).
> self focusOrder add: list.! !
>
>
> !WidgetClassList methodsFor: 'events-shortcuts' stamp: 'SteveQuezadas 7/15/2019 21:40'!
> whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
> Transcript show: 'got here'; cr.
> ! !

Looking at ListPresenter>>whenSelectedItemChanged: aBlock
it is registering aBlock on selectionHolder using #whenChangedDo:
Reviewing selectionHolder "Code search...>References to it" I see that
selectionHolder is initialized as an instance of SelectionHolderClass.

So it seems you are expecting whenSelectedItemChanged: to be called
every time the-selection-is-changed
when actually it is only called once (by your application) to register
the block-to-be-called when the-selection-is-changed.
You don't seem to have done any such registration.

cheers -ben