quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

sergio_101
i am spending some time this week figuring out how to quickly toss the
browser around..

this one has always stumped me..

say i do something like this..

i type:

book title: '

it get:

book title: ''

now, i enter a title:

book title: 'the exorcist(the cursor is here)'

now, my inclination is to type the closing quote to put the cursor
after the quote.. this just enters another quote..

hitting tab tries to find a completion..

how can i quickly close out the quote and move on? the right arrow key
seems kinda far away to have to hit very often..

thanks!

--
----
peace,

http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
The best way right now is to deactivate the smart characters since they are broken :)

Ben

On Sep 28, 2012, at 3:08 PM, sergio_101 wrote:

> i am spending some time this week figuring out how to quickly toss the
> browser around..
>
> this one has always stumped me..
>
> say i do something like this..
>
> i type:
>
> book title: '
>
> it get:
>
> book title: ''
>
> now, i enter a title:
>
> book title: 'the exorcist(the cursor is here)'
>
> now, my inclination is to type the closing quote to put the cursor
> after the quote.. this just enters another quote..
>
> hitting tab tries to find a completion..
>
> how can i quickly close out the quote and move on? the right arrow key
> seems kinda far away to have to hit very often..
>
> thanks!
>

> --
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

Igor Stasenko
On 28 September 2012 15:08, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i am spending some time this week figuring out how to quickly toss the
> browser around..
>
> this one has always stumped me..
>
> say i do something like this..
>
> i type:
>
> book title: '
>
> it get:
>
> book title: ''
>
> now, i enter a title:
>
> book title: 'the exorcist(the cursor is here)'
>
> now, my inclination is to type the closing quote to put the cursor
> after the quote.. this just enters another quote..
>
> hitting tab tries to find a completion..
>
> how can i quickly close out the quote and move on? the right arrow key
> seems kinda far away to have to hit very often..

just disable the 'smart characters' in settings, will make your life
much easier :)

(in world menu, go system->settings, and type 'smart' in search bar
and do search)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

Marcus Denker-4

On Sep 28, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 September 2012 15:08, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i am spending some time this week figuring out how to quickly toss the
>> browser around..
>>
>> this one has always stumped me..
>>
>> say i do something like this..
>>
>> i type:
>>
>> book title: '
>>
>> it get:
>>
>> book title: ''
>>
>> now, i enter a title:
>>
>> book title: 'the exorcist(the cursor is here)'
>>
>> now, my inclination is to type the closing quote to put the cursor
>> after the quote.. this just enters another quote..
>>
>> hitting tab tries to find a completion..
>>
>> how can i quickly close out the quote and move on? the right arrow key
>> seems kinda far away to have to hit very often..
>
> just disable the 'smart characters' in settings, will make your life
> much easier :)
>
> (in world menu, go system->settings, and type 'smart' in search bar
> and do search)

And we should make that the default.

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

sergio_101
thanks, guys.. and just in case that part is going to get worked on..
tim pope's implementation in his rails mode for vim handles smart
characters very well..

but i am still not a huge fan of smart characters.. they have to be
done exactly correctly to be tolerarble..

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 28 September 2012 15:08, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> i am spending some time this week figuring out how to quickly toss the
>>> browser around..
>>>
>>> this one has always stumped me..
>>>
>>> say i do something like this..
>>>
>>> i type:
>>>
>>> book title: '
>>>
>>> it get:
>>>
>>> book title: ''
>>>
>>> now, i enter a title:
>>>
>>> book title: 'the exorcist(the cursor is here)'
>>>
>>> now, my inclination is to type the closing quote to put the cursor
>>> after the quote.. this just enters another quote..
>>>
>>> hitting tab tries to find a completion..
>>>
>>> how can i quickly close out the quote and move on? the right arrow key
>>> seems kinda far away to have to hit very often..
>>
>> just disable the 'smart characters' in settings, will make your life
>> much easier :)
>>
>> (in world menu, go system->settings, and type 'smart' in search bar
>> and do search)
>

> And we should make that the default.
>

> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: quote pairing. how to do this correctly?

jfabry

On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> just disable the 'smart characters' in settings, will make your life
>> much easier :)
>>
>> (in world menu, go system->settings, and type 'smart' in search bar
>> and do search)
>

> And we should make that the default.

+100!

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile