rails niceties equivalent

Stephan Eggermont-3
Sergio wrote:
 >the other app that has access is indesign... through a plugin..

Well, it basically means your database is outside your boundary of
trust.

That's a lot of work. I don't think rails is up to that, and neither
are the
smalltalk ORM solutions. I'd be interested to be proven wrong, but I
fear
the performance consequences of handling this correct are too large.
Recovering from all the problems you might encounter takes a lot of
application and test code.

Nothing you read from or write to the database can be trusted,
Everything
should be verified, Your table structure might change while you're
writing
out data, you might not be able to open new connections, the other
application
will overwrite your data.

Stephan

Re: rails niceties equivalent

SeanTAllen

On May 15, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> Sergio wrote:
> >the other app that has access is indesign... through a plugin..
>
> Well, it basically means your database is outside your boundary of
> trust.
>
> That's a lot of work. I don't think rails is up to that, and neither
> are the
> smalltalk ORM solutions. I'd be interested to be proven wrong, but I
> fear
> the performance consequences of handling this correct are too large.
> Recovering from all the problems you might encounter takes a lot of
> application and test code.
>
> Nothing you read from or write to the database can be trusted,
> Everything
> should be verified, Your table structure might change while you're
> writing
> out data, you might not be able to open new connections, the other
> application
> will overwrite your data.

Stephen is very spot on here. You need to isolate functionality in one
location.
You can do that via stored procedures ( not an option with MySQL ) or
by having
a gatekeeper. In the past when confronted with this sort of scenario,
I've advised
writing an application whose purpose is to provide an API that
interfaces other
applications with the database, then that one application is the
repository for all
business rules etc.

Re: rails niceties equivalent

sergio_101-2

On May 15, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> out data, you might not be able to open new connections, the other
> application
> will overwrite your data.

hmmm..

this is an interesting point...

currently, the plugin reads and writes data via a sql statement and an
odbc driver..

we have used it extensively while having the plugin the only accessor
to the data..

this is the first time we are working on having another accessor to
the data (the web app..)

On May 15, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Sean Allen wrote:

> writing an application whose purpose is to provide an API that
> interfaces other
> applications with the database, then that one application is the
> repository for all
> business rules etc.

this exactly was my suggestion on this..

Re: rails niceties equivalent

Jason Rogers-4
Just a point of correction... MySQL 5+ does do Stored Procs, as well
as Stored Functions.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 15, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>
>> Sergio wrote:
>> >the other app that has access is indesign... through a plugin..
>>
>> Well, it basically means your database is outside your boundary of trust.
>>
>> That's a lot of work. I don't think rails is up to that, and neither are
>> the
>> smalltalk ORM solutions. I'd be interested to be proven wrong, but I fear
>> the performance consequences of handling this correct are too large.
>> Recovering from all the problems you might encounter takes a lot of
>> application and test code.
>>
>> Nothing you read from or write to the database can be trusted, Everything
>> should be verified, Your table structure might change while you're writing
>> out data, you might not be able to open new connections, the other
>> application
>> will overwrite your data.
>
> Stephen is very spot on here. You need to isolate functionality in one
> location.
> You can do that via stored procedures ( not an option with MySQL ) or by
> having
> a gatekeeper. In the past when confronted with this sort of scenario, I've
> advised
> writing an application whose purpose is to provide an API that interfaces
> other
> applications with the database, then that one application is the repository
> for all
> business rules etc.

Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20