re: In explorer, 'My Documents' branch so sloooow

re: In explorer, 'My Documents' branch so sloooow

ben meyer
Hello,
     I noticed that the 'My Documents' branch in Windows Explorer is really
slow on both the tree and file side.  All other branches seem O.K.  The
reason for posting this to the Dolphin group (besides the huge repository of
talent here) is that Dolphin stores all source files by default under this
branch.
    Does anyone else experiencing this?

--Ben Meyer

Re: In explorer, 'My Documents' branch so sloooow

Bill Schwab-2
Ben,

>      I noticed that the 'My Documents' branch in Windows Explorer is
really
> slow on both the tree and file side.  All other branches seem O.K.  The
> reason for posting this to the Dolphin group (besides the huge repository
of
> talent here) is that Dolphin stores all source files by default under this
> branch.
>     Does anyone else experiencing this?

Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss :)  I became suspicious at one point and move a
bunch of stuff out of it.  There are also (at least in my particular version
of Win98 at home) some annoyances re the find command that don't appear
elsewhere.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: In explorer, 'My Documents' branch so sloooow

ben meyer
> >      I noticed that the 'My Documents' branch in Windows Explorer is
> really
> > slow on both the tree and file side.  > branch.
> >     Does anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss :)  I became suspicious at one point and move
> bunch of stuff out of it.  There are also (at least in my particular
version
> of Win98 at home) some annoyances re the find command that don't appear
> elsewhere.

Bill,
     I am also using Win98/ Dolphin 4.01.  Did moving things out of 'My
Documents' fix the slowness of it?  What kind of stuff could be moved out?

--Ben

Re: In explorer, 'My Documents' branch so sloooow

Blair McGlashan
Ben

You wrote in message news:9dfssf$hednh$[hidden email]...

> > >      I noticed that the 'My Documents' branch in Windows Explorer is
> > really
> > > slow on both the tree and file side.  > branch.
> > >     Does anyone else experiencing this?
> >
> > Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss :)  I became suspicious at one point and
move

> > bunch of stuff out of it.  There are also (at least in my particular
> version
> > of Win98 at home) some annoyances re the find command that don't appear
> > elsewhere.
> >

> Bill,
>      I am also using Win98/ Dolphin 4.01.  Did moving things out of 'My
> Documents' fix the slowness of it?  What kind of stuff could be moved out?

Our recommended mode of working is to save the "Default.img" that opens
initially to a different file name as the first thing one does. This need
not be in the same directory. If you save the image to a different
directory, then any packages you create will (by default) be saved out
relative to that directory. Thus you are not tied to the "My Documents" area
at all.

For further information see the Education Centre, e.g.:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/installedfiles.htm
http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/savingtheimage.htm
http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/managingprojects.htm

Regards

Blair

Re: In explorer, 'My Documents' branch so sloooow

Bill Schwab-2
Ben,

>      I am also using Win98/ Dolphin 4.01.  Did moving things out of 'My
> Documents' fix the slowness of it?  What kind of stuff could be moved out?

I'm not sure I'd agree that Dolphin is particularly slow.  The stuff that I
moved was about a gig of various junk that doesn't fit into my normal
directory structure.  Explorer was taking longer to navigate those
directories than others, so I moved the stuff with a fairly obvious (but not
necessarily dramatic) improvement in the machine's overall performance.

Other things you can do to speed up a box are: (1) avoid Novell networks
(the new clients are very reliable, but quite sluggish); (2) clear the
browser cache; (3) make sure you have adequate free disk space.  On the
latter, I can't yet tell whether it's a fraction of total disk size, a
multiple of RAM size, or some combination of the two that counts.  Anything
under 2GB free seems to be at risk, and it might happen sooner on bigger
drives - I've only recently had >10GB drives, and none of them are getting
full at this point.

Have a good one,

Bill

--