recategorizing all the categories...

Stéphane Ducasse
hi guys

I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
Wanna get clean...

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

Igor Stasenko
On 17 March 2010 21:59, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
> Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
> Wanna get clean...

But not all methods can be categorized automatically.
I think tools can easily detect a category only for accessors and
overrides, when you overriding a method
which assigned to some category in superclass.
How you suppose to auto-cat rest?
> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

hernanmd
Hi Stef,
  I don't see why unclassified should correlate to dirt.
Cheers,

Hernán

2010/3/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
hi guys

I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
Wanna get clean...

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

Stéphane Ducasse
because there is a difference between my desk and the desk of marcus.
My desk is full of paper and I'm the only one that can find sometimes on it (which is ok this is my desk)
but now if marcus needs to use my desk it will take him more time to find something.
While with a nicely labelled desk then this is easier to find something.

Stef

On Mar 18, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>   I don't see why unclassified should correlate to dirt.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2010/3/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> hi guys
>
> I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
> Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
> Wanna get clean...
>
> Stef

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

Lukas Renggli
There are lint rules that detect

- uncategorized methods
- methods that are in a different protocol in their superclass

We also have some scripts in Seaside that fix common problems, e.g.
make them all lowercase and use #initialize instead of #'class
initialize' or #'initialize-release'.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17 March 2010 21:59, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
> Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
> Wanna get clean...

But not all methods can be categorized automatically.
I think tools can easily detect a category only for accessors and
overrides, when you overriding a method
which assigned to some category in superclass.
How you suppose to auto-cat rest?

Look http://www.squeaksource.com/autoMethodCat

initialize, finalize, clone, printOn, printXXX,  copy, shutDown, startUp, testXXX, isXXX, private-XXX, etc, etc, etc
can be automatically categorized, as you usually use the same category for the different classes.

Cheers

Mariano

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

Mariano Martinez Peck
I am not responsible of the consequences of the following code:

First:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'autoMethodCat';
    package: 'AutomaticMethodCategorizer';
    load.

After:

| autoCat |
autoCat := AutomaticMethodCategorizer new.
Smalltalk allClassesDo: [:each | autoCat categorizeAllUncategorizedMethodsOf: each ].

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi guys

I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
Wanna get clean...

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

hernanmd
I understand, but what if people do want classify papers labelled "as yet unclassified"?

Hernán

2010/3/18 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
because there is a difference between my desk and the desk of marcus.
My desk is full of paper and I'm the only one that can find sometimes on it (which is ok this is my desk)
but now if marcus needs to use my desk it will take him more time to find something.
While with a nicely labelled desk then this is easier to find something.

Stef

On Mar 18, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>   I don't see why unclassified should correlate to dirt.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2010/3/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> hi guys
>
> I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
> Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
> Wanna get clean...
>
> Stef

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

thanks :)
did you check?
does it work?
does it fucked up the system ;)

On Mar 18, 2010, at 11:48 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I am not responsible of the consequences of the following code:
>
> First:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'autoMethodCat';
>     package: 'AutomaticMethodCategorizer';
>     load.
>
> After:
>
> | autoCat |
> autoCat := AutomaticMethodCategorizer new.
> Smalltalk allClassesDo: [:each | autoCat categorizeAllUncategorizedMethodsOf: each ].
>

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
> Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
> Wanna get clean...
>
> Stef

why we should ban as yet unclassified categories from the core....

> I understand, but what if people do want classify papers labelled "as yet unclassified"?

not in the core at home they can eat in the living room, put mess on their sofa, let bottles on the floor....
mess up the kitchen, do not put the pizza boxed in the trash. ***But not in the core.***

Did you read pragmatic programmers (not that they invented something at least they wrote it)?
There is a story about the house with a broken glass.

Did you ever feel that you would be bad guy if you would throw a paper on the floor when you are
in a beautiful and clean city? But if you walk in a place with dirt everywhere (even if you do not
trhow anything on the floor) you have less pressure not to the do it?

We should get the same for pharo, the beauty of the system should shout at you: I wan to be clean.
Write class comments.....

Quality is also in the details because everything is in synergy.

Re: recategorizing all the categories...

Mariano Martinez Peck
That's why I said "I am not responsible of the consequences of the following code:"

hahahahaha

but yes, I tested. I doesn't fucked up the system but I don't know why when trying to see the changes in all the dirty packages it seems all methods were with "revision changed" and it was difficult to me to check what actually was done.

Cheers

Mariano

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks :)
did you check?
does it work?
does it fucked up the system ;)

On Mar 18, 2010, at 11:48 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I am not responsible of the consequences of the following code:
>
> First:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'autoMethodCat';
>     package: 'AutomaticMethodCategorizer';
>     load.
>
> After:
>
> | autoCat |
> autoCat := AutomaticMethodCategorizer new.
> Smalltalk allClassesDo: [:each | autoCat categorizeAllUncategorizedMethodsOf: each ].
>

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I wanted to know if one you try tried to automatically recategorized all the methods of the system.
> Because I'm tired to get this as yet unclassified in my face. I looks to my like dirt in the street.
> Wanna get clean...
>
> Stef

Re: why we should ban as yet unclassified categories from the core....

Adrian Lienhard

On Mar 19, 2010, at 09:15 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> I understand, but what if people do want classify papers labelled "as yet unclassified"?
>
> not in the core at home they can eat in the living room, put mess on their sofa, let bottles on the floor....
> mess up the kitchen, do not put the pizza boxed in the trash. ***But not in the core.***
>
> Did you read pragmatic programmers (not that they invented something at least they wrote it)?
> There is a story about the house with a broken glass.
>
> Did you ever feel that you would be bad guy if you would throw a paper on the floor when you are
> in a beautiful and clean city? But if you walk in a place with dirt everywhere (even if you do not
> trhow anything on the floor) you have less pressure not to the do it?
>
> We should get the same for pharo, the beauty of the system should shout at you: I wan to be clean.
> Write class comments.....
>
> Quality is also in the details because everything is in synergy.

+1

Adrian

> Stef

Re: why we should ban as yet unclassified categories from the core....

Alexandre Bergel

>> We should get the same for pharo, the beauty of the system should
>> shout at you: I wan to be clean.
>> Write class comments.....
>>
>> Quality is also in the details because everything is in synergy.
>
> +1

+1

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu