Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

recent project updates for 3.5.4 and upcoming 3.6.0

GLASS mailing list

The work for 3.6.0 is still ongoing, but if you are planning on upgrading to 3.5.4, you should update your projects to the latest commit as there are bugfixes/changes that are needed for proper operation of 3.5.4. Here's the full list of projects that I have updated in the last week or so:

• ston
  • tode
  • filetree
  • glass
  • zinc
  • Parasol
  • Grease
  • Seaside
  • metacello-work

If you are using GsDevKitHome, you can use `updateGsDevKit -gctsd` to update most of projects to the latest commit (I think only Parasol and Seaside would not be updated). The latest version of Seaside now depends upon Parasol for testing.

It should be safe to update existing stones running older versions of GemStone to use the latest commits of the common projects. It would be prudent to make a backup before upgrading, because "you never know."

If you are not moving to 3.5.4 it isn't necessary to update.

Let me know if you have issues or questions.

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: recent project updates for 3.5.4 and upcoming 3.6.0

GLASS mailing list
I tried an update a database from 3.4.0 to 3.5.3 and I did "updateGsDevKit -gctsd" and got an error when loading my packages:

ERROR 2010 , a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a String does not understand #'copyUpToLast:' (MessageNotUnderstood)
topaz > exec iferr 1 : where
==> 1 MessageNotUnderstood >> defaultAction @2 line 3
2 MessageNotUnderstood (AbstractException) >> _signalWith: @5 line 25
3 MessageNotUnderstood (AbstractException) >> signal @2 line 47
4 String (Object) >> doesNotUnderstand: @9 line 10
5 String (Object) >> _doesNotUnderstand:args:envId:reason: @8 line 14
6 GoferResolvedReference (GoferVersionReference) >> parseName: @9 line 6
Just as an information. I will further investigate why this method is not available ...

Marten

Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 11.10.2020 21:33 geschrieben:

The work for 3.6.0 is still ongoing, but if you are planning on upgrading to 3.5.4, you should update your projects to the latest commit as there are bugfixes/changes that are needed for proper operation of 3.5.4. Here's the full list of projects that I have updated in the last week or so:

• ston
  • tode
  • filetree
  • glass
  • zinc
  • Parasol
  • Grease
  • Seaside
  • metacello-work

If you are using GsDevKitHome, you can use `updateGsDevKit -gctsd` to update most of projects to the latest commit (I think only Parasol and Seaside would not be updated). The latest version of Seaside now depends upon Parasol for testing.

It should be safe to update existing stones running older versions of GemStone to use the latest commits of the common projects. It would be prudent to make a backup before upgrading, because "you never know."

Dale

_______________________________________________ Glass mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.gemtalksystems.com/mailman/listinfo/glass

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

It would help if there was a bit more context with the stack ... which version of GemStone were you using? did this error occur after an upgrade? did it occur during an upgrade? ... what packages / projects have been loaded

The more details you provide the easier it is for me to figure out what might be happening here...

The method would not have been normally removed between 3.4.0 and 3.5.3. So not sure what could have happened here ...

If you are using tode, providing the output of `mc list` and `project list` --- use the `Window>>print window` to produce a textual copy of the window that can be pasted into a file or mail message ... If you are not using tODE, then I will have to scrabble around in the implementation of the two commands to extract a workspace ...

Dale

On 11/24/20 6:13 AM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
I tried an update a database from 3.4.0 to 3.5.3 and I did "updateGsDevKit -gctsd" and got an error when loading my packages:

ERROR 2010 , a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a String does not understand #'copyUpToLast:' (MessageNotUnderstood)
Just as an information. I will further investigate why this method is not available ...

Marten

Dale Henrichs via Glass [hidden email] hat am 11.10.2020 21:33 geschrieben:

• ston
  • tode
  • filetree
  • glass
  • zinc
  • Parasol
  • Grease
  • Seaside
  • metacello-work

Dale

_______________________________________________ Glass mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.gemtalksystems.com/mailman/listinfo/glass

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Hello Dale,

the stone is based on Gemstone/S 3.4.0 and I wanted to upgrade to Gemstone/S 3.5.3. The error occurs during the upgrade, when I wanted to load my application code into the new database and I noticed, that the "copyUpToLast" is a Squeak extension method and it have always be there in my images.

I will make a further try tomorrow.

Marten

Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 24.11.2020 18:22 geschrieben:

It would help if there was a bit more context with the stack ... which version of GemStone were you using? did this error occur after an upgrade? did it occur during an upgrade? ... what packages / projects have been loaded

The more details you provide the easier it is for me to figure out what might be happening here...

The method would not have been normally removed between 3.4.0 and 3.5.3. So not sure what could have happened here ...

If you are using tode, providing the output of `mc list` and `project list` --- use the `Window>>print window` to produce a textual copy of the window that can be pasted into a file or mail message ... If you are not using tODE, then I will have to scrabble around in the implementation of the two commands to extract a workspace ...

Dale

Marten

• ston
  • tode
  • filetree
  • glass
  • zinc
  • Parasol
  • Grease
  • Seaside
  • metacello-work

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

Marten,

When you try again and if it fails, please send me the upgradeSeasideImage.out file from the upgradeLogDir in the upgraded stone directory so I can see in which part of the upgrade it fails ...

Dale

On 11/24/20 1:40 PM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Hello Dale,

the stone is based on Gemstone/S 3.4.0 and I wanted to upgrade to Gemstone/S 3.5.3. The error occurs during the upgrade, when I wanted to load my application code into the new database and I noticed, that the "copyUpToLast" is a Squeak extension method and it have always be there in my images.

I will make a further try tomorrow.

Marten

Dale Henrichs [hidden email] hat am 24.11.2020 18:22 geschrieben:

Dale

Marten

• ston
  • tode
  • filetree
  • glass
  • zinc
  • Parasol
  • Grease
  • Seaside
  • metacello-work

Dale