recovering closed workspace

sergio_101
i keep a workspace open that has a bunch of testing incantations open
at all times..

is there a way i can bring that workspace back if i accidentally close it?

i seem to keep closing it when closing other windows (ctl-w)..

thanks!

--
----
peace,

http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: recovering closed workspace

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

Re: recovering closed workspace

Alexandre Bergel
Yes. I worked on this a few years ago.
You have "previous contents" in the top-right hand side menu.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 28 Dec 2010, at 15:02, sergio_101 wrote:

> i keep a workspace open that has a bunch of testing incantations open
> at all times..
>
> is there a way i can bring that workspace back if i accidentally close it?
>
> i seem to keep closing it when closing other windows (ctl-w)..
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: recovering closed workspace

sergio_101-2
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: recovering closed workspace

Guillermo Polito
Why not having a popup asking "do you want to close it?"  if it has changes?  Just as any other text editor...

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: recovering closed workspace

Alexandre Bergel
That was the behavior some times ago. And it was really annoying.
In fact, there is no need to. Best is to be able to recover previous scripts, as it is now.

Alexandre

On 28 Dec 2010, at 15:16, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Why not having a popup asking "do you want to close it?"  if it has changes?  Just as any other text editor...
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?
> >

> yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: recovering closed workspace

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why not having a popup asking "do you want to close it?"  if it has changes?  Just as any other text editor...

that would be helpful, but annoying at the same time. (less than 5% of my workspace has content that I would regret of closing)

Since I guess you are in a dev image, why just not using the tool Script Manager for those important workspaces with alot of stuff ? . With this you can save them and do what you want.
At the same time, it is not annoying in all workspaces...

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: recovering closed workspace

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Sergio, Guillermo,

There is a certain elegance in the Zen solution, but either way is fine by me.

I submit that a prompt is good or bad, in context.  I appreciate prompts from workspaces and browsers; often the changes there are not meant to be discarded.  I find inspectors are overly protective of text and in general would be willing to live with the consequences of failing to save if only the prompts would stop.

One thing I have never fully understood is the two text fields in inspectors.  The bottom one seems to behave as I want, so I have gravitated toward using it for evaluating expressions.  My guess is that this is as it is intended to be used, but it "feels weird."

Bill

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: recovering closed workspace

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I've never really given it any thought, and workspaces do the job, but I'll kick the tires.  The first thing I noticed is that when it asks for a file name, it does not use a fileopen dialog :(  Same for "new folder."  I assume these things go under the image folder, but the dialogs would/should make that explicit.  I see no way to turn off syntax highlighting, which I often do for my scripts because they contain more notes than code and the highlighting gets in the way.

BTW, Shout is amazing and is exceedingly helpful in the browsers and debugger.  I try to mention that on the rare instances that highlighting is unwelcome.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Why not having a popup asking "do you want to close it?"  if it has changes?  Just as any other text editor...

that would be helpful, but annoying at the same time. (less than 5% of my workspace has content that I would regret of closing)

Since I guess you are in a dev image, why just not using the tool Script Manager for those important workspaces with alot of stuff ? . With this you can save them and do what you want.
At the same time, it is not annoying in all workspaces...

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: recovering closed workspace

Schwab,Wilhelm K
After a little more prodding, ScriptManager looks a lot like QuickCode, which I still use in my Dolphin image.  It's great for storing/filing lots of rarely used incantations.  I still like a workspace for notes and development.

I've never really given it any thought, and workspaces do the job, but I'll kick the tires.  The first thing I noticed is that when it asks for a file name, it does not use a fileopen dialog :(  Same for "new folder."  I assume these things go under the image folder, but the dialogs would/should make that explicit.  I see no way to turn off syntax highlighting, which I often do for my scripts because they contain more notes than code and the highlighting gets in the way.

BTW, Shout is amazing and is exceedingly helpful in the browsers and debugger.  I try to mention that on the rare instances that highlighting is unwelcome.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Why not having a popup asking "do you want to close it?"  if it has changes?  Just as any other text editor...

that would be helpful, but annoying at the same time. (less than 5% of my workspace has content that I would regret of closing)

Since I guess you are in a dev image, why just not using the tool Script Manager for those important workspaces with alot of stuff ? . With this you can save them and do what you want.
At the same time, it is not annoying in all workspaces...

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Not a perfect solution, but have you tried simply saving the text to a file?

yes.. i was just hoping for something a little more elegant..

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: recovering closed workspace

George Herolyants-3
Sergio,

You can save your workspace to a file and it will become associated
with this file, I mean each time you press Cmd+S workspace content
will be flushed to disk.

George