redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
I have a whole slew of images to use. Some can be cached on the server
and many are found in various remote locations which may change in the
markup. Is there any way of creating a macro or +value:thingie+  that
will allow me to refer to images with a a variable prefix?

eg:
prefix0 =''
prefix1 = 'http://www.mysite.com'

+prefix1/images/myimage.png+

vs

+prefix0/images/myimage.png+

Lawson

Re: redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
On 7/8/10 10:25 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I did something like that for scg.unibe.ch by creating a new
> link-type. You can have a look at the class SCGExternalLink in the
> package Pier-Site-SCG in http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted/.
>
> Lukas

Thanks much.

Lawson

Re: redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
On 7/8/10 10:25 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I did something like that for scg.unibe.ch by creating a new
> link-type. You can have a look at the class SCGExternalLink in the
> package Pier-Site-SCG in http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted/.

Thanks for the reference but I'm confused about many things...

First, I don't understand how a new link-type is registered with the system.

Secondly, in general, I'm not clear on how to extend the markup system.
Are their specific places I should look to get a better understanding of
this?

Is there some kind of overview of the internal organization of the
markup system that will help guide me in how it all works together?

Thanks.

Lawson

Re: redirecting links...

Lukas Renggli
> First, I don't understand how a new link-type is registered with the system.

Being a subclass of PRLink is enough. See the class-side of the PRLink
hierarchy for details.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/extendingpierparser

> Is there some kind of overview of the internal organization of the markup
> system that will help guide me in how it all works together?

http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/masters/Reng06a.pdf (Chapter 3)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
Thanks muchly. Got the first part working.

+MyLink: /images/myimage.png|prefix=http://localhost+

The next part is to be able to store multiple prefixes "globally".

Any suggestions as to where to put a dictionary of prefixes?

As a first pass they would be accessible to anyone, though eventually
perhaps read-only unless you have admin privledges.

Again, thanks for your help.

Lawson

On 7/10/10 3:00 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> First, I don't understand how a new link-type is registered with the system.
>>
> Being a subclass of PRLink is enough. See the class-side of the PRLink
> hierarchy for details.
>

>> Secondly, in general, I'm not clear on how to extend the markup system. Are
>> their specific places I should look to get a better understanding of this?
>>
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/extendingpierparser
>

>> Is there some kind of overview of the internal organization of the markup
>> system that will help guide me in how it all works together?
>>
> http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/masters/Reng06a.pdf (Chapter 3)
>
> Lukas

Re: redirecting links...

Lukas Renggli
What about a dictionary on the class side of your link and an
administration component that provides an editor?

However, keep in mind that you need to re-parse the complete site
after editing the prefixes, otherwise you might have an inconsistent
state.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
On 7/10/10 9:51 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> What about a dictionary on the class side of your link and an
> administration component that provides an editor?

There we go. :-)

> However, keep in mind that you need to re-parse the complete site
> after editing the prefixes, otherwise you might have an inconsistent
> state.
>
> Lukas

Oh yeah, hmmm. Well, at least for now, I'll be happy if it becomes
consistent  after restarting a saved image.

Which I *think* will be the case even with the simplest implementation.

Thanks again.

Lawson

Re: redirecting links...

Lukas Renggli
>> However, keep in mind that you need to re-parse the complete site
>> after editing the prefixes, otherwise you might have an inconsistent
>> state.
>>
>> Lukas
>>

> Oh yeah, hmmm. Well, at least for now, I'll be happy if it becomes
> consistent  after restarting a saved image.
>
> Which I *think* will be the case even with the simplest implementation.

I don't think so, at least this is not the default behavior.

When you edit a page the wiki-text gets parsed, transformed to a tree
of objects and the links get resolved and replaced with object
references. When an image is saved and restarted the objects stay
there, there is no new lookup going on. Of course it is possible to
have a specific link instance that does the lookup dynamically every
time it is accessed, but this is not the behavior of SCGLink I think.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
On 7/10/10 12:31 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> However, keep in mind that you need to re-parse the complete site
>>> after editing the prefixes, otherwise you might have an inconsistent
>>> state.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>

>> Oh yeah, hmmm. Well, at least for now, I'll be happy if it becomes
>> consistent  after restarting a saved image.
>>
>> Which I *think* will be the case even with the simplest implementation.
>>
> I don't think so, at least this is not the default behavior.
>
> When you edit a page the wiki-text gets parsed, transformed to a tree
> of objects and the links get resolved and replaced with object
> references. When an image is saved and restarted the objects stay
> there, there is no new lookup going on. Of course it is possible to
> have a specific link instance that does the lookup dynamically every
> time it is accessed, but this is not the behavior of SCGLink I think.

Hrm again. Well, when I start seeing strange behavior with the links,
I'll at least know WHY even if
I haven't a clue how to fix it.   :-/

Lawson

[bug] Re: redirecting links...

LawsonEnglish
got to a certain stage in my MLink class and tested a page with markup
referring to it. I get a smalltalk error printed on the page with no
halos and no way to examine the markup. Nor can I remove the page
because the commands aren't showing.

How do I remove a page that I can't display?

MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>at:ifAbsent:

Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.

I think I know what my error is. I never reset my MLink class after I
added the global dictionary. Even if I can fix it in some way, its still
a not-good glitch that a smalltalk error makes a page uneditable/removeable.

Lawson

Re: [bug] Re: redirecting links...

John McKeon

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
got to a certain stage in my MLink class and tested a page with markup referring to it. I get a smalltalk error printed on the page with no halos and no way to examine the markup. Nor can I remove the page because the commands aren't showing.

How do I remove a page that I can't display?

Load the Pier-OmniBrowser package from the Pier repository. It gives you a PierBrowser tool from which you can edit/delete the offending component/page
John

MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>at:ifAbsent:

Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.

I think I know what my error is. I never reset my MLink class after I added the global dictionary. Even if I can fix it in some way, its still a not-good glitch that a smalltalk error makes a page uneditable/removeable.

Lawson

http://john-mckeon.us/seaside

Re: [bug] Re: redirecting links...

Tudor Girba
You can also go to the parent page, and invoke Browse. This will then
list all children with links related to commands for each page,
including (r) from removal.

Doru

On 11 Jul 2010, at 22:59, John McKeon wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Lawson English <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> got to a certain stage in my MLink class and tested a page with
> markup referring to it. I get a smalltalk error printed on the page
> with no halos and no way to examine the markup. Nor can I remove the
> page because the commands aren't showing.
>
> How do I remove a page that I can't display?
>
> Load the Pier-OmniBrowser package from the Pier repository. It gives
> you a PierBrowser tool from which you can edit/delete the offending
> component/page
> John
>

> MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>at:ifAbsent:
>
> Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.
>

> I think I know what my error is. I never reset my MLink class after
> I added the global dictionary. Even if I can fix it in some way, its
> still a not-good glitch that a smalltalk error makes a page
> uneditable/removeable.
>

> Lawson

> http://john-mckeon.us/seaside

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."