classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

redline.st - tooling changes - input requested

SeanTAllen
Hi all,

Maintaining the redline website as straight up github pages is becoming a pain. There is lots of duplication that goes into it. Here is the current plan:

Try redoing site using Middleman ( http://middlemanapp.com ). Middleman is pretty close to github pages/jekyll and should be an easy-ish move. As part of this, it would probably get its own 'website source' repo.

Determine how to host. We could push all the static assets back to a github repo to host ala github pages ( but w/o them doing the generation ), deploy to a vps like nearly free speech or perhaps to s3.

Pro of github- free scaling, free cost wise, edge caching free, easy to open deploy up to others
Con - deploy means build into a github repo and push that. I can see that being a little fragile

Pro of nearly free speech- cheap to host ( really cheap ), easy rsync deployment
Con- no edge caching or free scaling, open deploy up to others requires ssh key from them

Pro of s3- scalable, edge caching via cloudfront, easy to deploy to
Con- cost, setup for allowing access to deploy

Heroku could be seen as a deploy option as well.

I'm going to try out middleman today. If anyone has other suggestions for tools that make it easy to maintain static sites that also have blogs and are easy to move to from jekyll, please let me know.

Any ideas or thoughts on deployment, please let me know.

-Sean-

--

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: redline.st - tooling changes - input requested

SeanTAllen
I've been playing around with Middleman and I don't think it gives much over Jekyll. However, simply using jekyll w/ tooling that isn't available via github pages might be a good pay off. 

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Maintaining the redline website as straight up github pages is becoming a pain. There is lots of duplication that goes into it. Here is the current plan:

Try redoing site using Middleman ( http://middlemanapp.com ). Middleman is pretty close to github pages/jekyll and should be an easy-ish move. As part of this, it would probably get its own 'website source' repo.

Determine how to host. We could push all the static assets back to a github repo to host ala github pages ( but w/o them doing the generation ), deploy to a vps like nearly free speech or perhaps to s3.

Pro of github- free scaling, free cost wise, edge caching free, easy to open deploy up to others
Con - deploy means build into a github repo and push that. I can see that being a little fragile

Pro of nearly free speech- cheap to host ( really cheap ), easy rsync deployment
Con- no edge caching or free scaling, open deploy up to others requires ssh key from them

I'm going to try out middleman today. If anyone has other suggestions for tools that make it easy to maintain static sites that also have blogs and are easy to move to from jekyll, please let me know.

-Sean-

--

Sent from my iPhone

--

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
|

patmaddox
what about octopress? it's a blog / website generator built on top of jekyll. 

On Nov 25, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Sean Allen wrote:
I've been playing around with Middleman and I don't think it gives much over Jekyll. However, simply using jekyll w/ tooling that isn't available via github pages might be a good pay off. 

Hi all,

-Sean-

--

Sent from my iPhone

--

Sent from my iPhone

Reply | Threaded
|

SeanTAllen
I'd forgotten about octopress. It is worth a look. 

I tried middleman and couldn't make it work.
Tried to decipher nanoc's documentation.

Both are ( do i really want to invest the time in this... ) based on docs.
Perhaps octopress could make a nice bridge to... somewhere... like when someone gets inspired to write the most awesomest, well documented static website building ever in Redline.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
what about octopress? it's a blog / website generator built on top of jekyll. 

On Nov 25, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Sean Allen wrote:

Hi all,

-Sean-

--

Sent from my iPhone

--

Sent from my iPhone

--

Sent from my iPhone