rejection on binary post

Howard Oh
news.cis.dfn.de won't let us post & share our code works
*.cls, *.pac since it is a binary. To be accurate, it is not a binary
but it is just non-txt.

Let's ask news.cis.dfn.de to allow us to post those.

Hwa Jong Oh

Re: rejection on binary post

Ian Bartholomew-3
Hwa Jong Oh

"Hwa Jong Oh" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:90lovk$1j5d0$[hidden email]...
> news.cis.dfn.de won't let us post & share our code works
> *.cls, *.pac since it is a binary. To be accurate, it is not a binary
> but it is just non-txt.

Yes and no. Both cls and pac files are (from Dolphin 4 anyway) pure text but
you are including them as a encoded _binary_ attachment to the article.
That's what news.cis.dfn.de (ncdd) objects to - quite rightly as that's what
their terms and conditions state.

> Let's ask news.cis.dfn.de to allow us to post those.

I very much doubt if you will get anywhere - I wouldn't think it's the sort
of thing they could make one off exceptions for.

You can get around it if you really want. As all the basic Dolphin files (st
cls pac) are now text so you can just cut/paste them into (preferably at the
end) of your message. Anyone who wants the package can cut/paste them back
into the appropriate files. The newsgroup charter does specify that _small_
code attachments can be posted (define small!!) so I'm not suggesting anyone
should try this will large files.

The other thing you should be aware of though - if you are using ncdd- is
that their no binaries policy works on all messages. If someone posts a
binary to the newsgroup, via another server, then ncdd will probably ignore
the post completely. It won't appear on their server at all.

As the saying goes - you get what you pay for. ncdd provides a free
non-binary (to protect themselves more than anything else I assume) service,
if you really need to post binaries then you should subscribe to one of the
fee-paying services.

Q. I've never used deja - anyone know if you can post binaries through them?

Ian

Re: rejection on binary post

Howard Oh
Ian,

Reading through your post i came up with an idea.
I can copy the binary files to my ftp or web servers, and post
on the newsgroup that has link to them.

Hwa Jong Oh