releaseXyz Symbolic Versions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
What is the purpose of the following method:
    release33: spec
        <symbolicVersion: #'release3.3'>
        spec for: #'common' version: '3.3.0'
Cheers,
Sean

Re: releaseXyz Symbolic Versions

Johan Brichau-3
An abstraction that is a little more ‘semantic versioning’ than #stable.

If your project depends on Seaside 3.0.x, you don’t want it to depend on Seaside 3.1.x when that becomes the new #stable.
But you also don’t want to depend on a specific bugfix version (e.g. 3.0.9).

The solution is a symbolic version #release3.0 that will point to the latest bugfix version in the major 3.0 version.

We’ve started adopting this a couple of years ago for Grease and Seaside and it pays off.

cheers
Johan

> On 06 Apr 2015, at 02:59, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is the purpose of the following method:
>    release33: spec
> <symbolicVersion: #'release3.3'>
> spec for: #'common' version: '3.3.0'
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: releaseXyz Symbolic Versions

Dale Henrichs-3
Highly recommended technique! All use of #stable should be replaced by
this form....

Dale