renaming Object

John Brant
Is there a reason why the ClassBuilder does not allow renaming Object? I
removed the check and was able to rename Object. The only problem that I
noticed was that the icon was tied to the #Object class name. Shouldn't
the FixedLayout classes only need to be checked if you are modifying the
class by adding/removing variables or changing the hierarchy? Do they
really need to be checked for renaming?

John Brant

Re: renaming Object

Blair McGlashan-4
"John Brant" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> Is there a reason why the ClassBuilder does not allow renaming Object? I
> removed the check and was able to rename Object. The only problem that I
> noticed was that the icon was tied to the #Object class name. Shouldn't
> the FixedLayout classes only need to be checked if you are modifying the
> class by adding/removing variables or changing the hierarchy? Do they
> really need to be checked for renaming?

No, I don't think so. I think it was simply over-exhuberance on the part of
the original designer/developer. The ClassBuilder has been very stable, and
hasn't changed much in 10 years. Might be time to disturb its slumbers.

Thanks John

Blair

Re: renaming Object

Chris Uppal-3
Blair,

> The ClassBuilder has been very
> stable, and hasn't changed much in 10 years. Might be time to disturb its
> slumbers.

If you do revisit this stuff, then it might be worth unpicking the assumption,
which in hard-wired in several places, that there is only one kind of
Metaclass.  I tried adding a subclass of Metaclass some time ago but found it
rather too awkward.  (I can no longer remember why I wanted to try it, and
anyway it might have been completely wrong even if the system hadn't made it
too much work).

    -- chris