renaming a method

Ken G. Brown
What’s the trick to using right click on a method name for rename?
I had a method named start, and when I went to rename, it complained there were 16 methods with that name and it renamed them all, I just wanted to rename the one in my class of interest.

vw7.9.1 fresh, Mac.

Ken G. Brown

Re: renaming a method

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Settings > Tools > Browser > Show refactoring changes [enable]

This will show you an extra window next time before any changes take place and you can then narrow the scope from there.

-Boris

Re: renaming a method

Ken G. Brown
Thx for the quick response.
Ok, did that setting, and it comes up with a dialog saying This will refactor all of the 16 implementors and 59 senders.
I obviously do not want to do that. But I went ahead anyway, and it comes up with another window showing them all in a list. I find the one i want and select it, I see the changes in the bottom pane. Only see Execute All button. Tried that and it apparently changed them all again.

   Ken

On Dec 11, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Boris Slobodin, DeepCove Labs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Settings > Tools > Browser > Show refactoring changes [enable]

This will show you an extra window next time before any changes take place and you can then narrow the scope from there.

-Boris

ADvance2 Status?

Hildebrant, Richard
Hello,
        I'm just getting back into a little Smalltalk development after a couple of years and fired up VisualWorks 7.9.1 on Windows.  I loaded in the nice class diagramming tool, ADvance2, but it appears not to be working.  Even opening the "About" menu item raises an exception (message #isUnparceledParcel not understood).  Is Advance2 no longer supported, or even working with VW?  If so, too bad - it's a useful tool.  Or am I missing something?

        Any information appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick Hildebrant

Re: ADvance2 Status?

Nowak, Helge
Support has a resolution for that issue

Cheers
Helge

Re: renaming a method

Niall Ross
Dear Ken,

1) After selecting the one(s) you want, right-click to get menu to let
you 'execute' just them, not all.

2) If you load RBDynamicMethodRefactoringUI, the dialog will give you a
third button 'Rename Some...'.  This leads to a UI that shows call
sites.  You can select the call sites that you know apply to the method
you want to rename and tell the tool this (which will make them change
colour) and/or you can run tests, execute code, etc. and the tool will
detect (and change colour of) call sites of that method.  It will then
use the information to compute the correct change list - as correct,
that is, as your instructions and/or the coverage of your tests.

Be aware, RBDynamicMethodRefactoring prereqs Method Wrappers.  Reading
the package comments of both it and Method Wrappers Base, and showing
appropriate caution, is advised.

             HTH
                   Niall Ross

>Thx for the quick response.
>Ok, did that setting, and it comes up with a dialog saying This will refactor
>all of the 16 implementors and 59 senders.
>I obviously do not want to do that. But I went ahead anyway, and it comes up
>with another window showing them all in a list. I find the one i want and select
>it, I see the changes in the bottom pane. Only see Execute All button. Tried
>that and it apparently changed them all again.
>

>   Ken
>
>On Dec 11, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Boris Slobodin, DeepCove Labs
><[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Settings > Tools > Browser > Show refactoring changes [enable]
>>
>> This will show you an extra window next time before any changes take place and
>> you can then narrow the scope from there.
>>
>> -Boris

Local refactorings (similar to browsing local senders/implementers) in a spawned RB would sometimes be very helpful.

Re: ADvance2 Status?

Niall Ross
Dear Richard ,

>Hello,
> I'm just getting back into a little Smalltalk development after a couple of years and fired up VisualWorks 7.9.1 on Windows.  I loaded in the nice class diagramming tool, ADvance2, but it appears not to be working.  Even opening the "About" menu item raises an exception (message #isUnparceledParcel not understood).  Is Advance2 no longer supported, or even working with VW?  If so, too bad - it's a useful tool.  Or am I missing something?

I see 4 ARs fixing issues with Advance in 7.10 (which is now released)

66100: "UHE when selecting ADvance tab in RefactoringBrowser"
66130: "Menu items 'open' and 'spawn' broken in ADvance Diagram"
66499: "Rescaling an ADvance diagram can result in empty view"
66531: "ADvance diagrams do not work with multiple views"

so it appears not to be neglected.  I would guess the support resolution
that Helge mentions applies one (or all) of these to 7.9.1.

             HTH
                   Niall Ross