rendering Cyrillic in Seaside?

tty

rendering Cyrillic in Seaside?

tty
Hi All.

I am writing a web application where I will need to render Cyrillic:

[[ru:Планктон]]
It does not render correctly in a Workspace. it renders as [[ru:????????]],
But Tobias was kind enough to show that the ByteString does in fact contain the correct Cyrillic codes.

I have done a quick test to see if it would render via Seaside on an html page by some magic.

It does not .

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

tty

Re: rendering Cyrillic in Seaside?

Paul DeBruicker

In your page what did you try?

html html: 'Планктон'

should work.

It shows up as ????? in Pharo because the font you're using doesnt have the
glyphs.  There might be a font on your system that does.  You can change the
font in the settings

tty wrote

> Hi All.
>

> I am writing a web application where I will need to render Cyrillic:
>

> [[ru:Планктон]]
>
> It does not render correctly in a Workspace. it renders as
> [[ru:????????]],
>
> But Tobias was kind enough to show that the ByteString does in fact
> contain the correct Cyrillic codes.
>

> I have done a quick test to see if it would render via Seaside on an html
> page by some magic.
>

> It does not .
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> tty

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

Re: rendering Cyrillic in Seaside?

Karsten Kusche
use #text: instead of #html:, it’ll do correct escaping. #html: is used only when you want to write plain HTML to the canvas, which is something you typically don’t do, because that’s what the canvas is there for in the first place.

Karsten

Georg Heeg eK
Wallstraße 22
06366 Köthen

Tel.: 03496/214328
FAX: 03496/214712
Amtsgericht Dortmund HRA 12812

Am 19. September 2019 um 16:23:56 MESZ schrieb Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]>:

In your page what did you try?

html html: 'Планктон'

should work.

It shows up as ????? in Pharo because the font you're using doesnt have the
glyphs.  There might be a font on your system that does.  You can change the
font in the settings

tty wrote
> Hi All.
>

> I am writing a web application where I will need to render Cyrillic:
>

> [[ru:Планктон]]
>
> It does not render correctly in a Workspace. it renders as
> [[ru:????????]],
>
> But Tobias was kind enough to show that the ByteString does in fact
> contain the correct Cyrillic codes.
>

> I have done a quick test to see if it would render via Seaside on an html
> page by some magic.
>

> It does not .
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> tty

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html

Re: rendering Cyrillic in Seaside?

Esteban A. Maringolo
On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Karsten Kusche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> use #text: instead of #html:, it’ll do correct escaping. #html: is used only when you want to write plain HTML to the canvas, which is something you typically don’t do, because that’s what the canvas is there for in the first place.

+1.
In the end it will end up calling #encodeOn: on the String, using the
WADocument encoder for it.

Regards,
tty

Re: rendering Cyrillic in Seaside?

tty
Hi All,

The Seaside is secondary, as the problem is with the fonts in my Squeak 5.2 linux64 image.

When I navigate...
Extras -> Language -> Russian

      cyrillic displays as ??????  i.e. is not rendered correctly.

When I go searching ...
Apps  ->Font Importer -> Nothing with UTF8 among the selections.

Since
ru:Планктон

Cannot be rendered as is in the Squeak workspace, but instead shows up as

That is what Seaside renders.

The problem, therefore is getting a UTF8 (?) font into my image. Unfortunately, I do not see any available.

cheers,

---- On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 10:37:14 -0400 Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote ----