renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

1234

renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Torsten Bergmann

Norbert wrote:
>Ok, nothing to do here. Thank you, Captain Hindsight!

While I enjoy your humor and politeness on one side I really
doubt that there is nothing to do here.

How often do we face the outage of SqS. And now a private
server is yet again gone without an easy restore/access to
the backup. It's nice that we can all check our caches to
find the mcz's - but is this the backup strategy to go for
the future?

I provided the ConfigurationBrowser in Pharo to easily load
Metacello packages directly from within the image and spend
a lot of time checking appropriate configs for the various
Pharo versions. On one side we invest in making it easier
for people to load packages on the other side it often
did not work due to this brickle hosting we currently have.

Don't we need a serious discussion and actions on how
to get a reliable infrastructure with official mirrors?

By providing a prebuilt SqueakSource in the past [1] I hoped
the SqS situation will get better when people may setup own
servers and we have more and more mirrors on the net. It did
not happen. We now know that SqS is the "old way".

We currently face decisions what servers to use (SS3, SmalltalkHub, ...)
see issue #6093 [2]

Now we move to SS3 and SmalltalkHub. Can we answer the question
how reliable they are?

I like SmalltalkHub a lot. But still it is centralized and
if it is down it is down for all. Dont we need answers to the
question how independent our infrastructure will be in the future?
If it is backuped, mirrored or restorable?

Dale proposed mirroring for Metacello [3]. We also have filetree [4]
for directory-based Monticello packages enabling the use of Git,
SVN, ... allowing us to use more reliable infrastructure like GitHub, ...
Should we care?

But maybe I should shut up and wait until someone reboots
Squeaksource again (which is down today yet again)

Bye
T.

[1] http://astares.blogspot.de/2005/12/squeaksource-server-image.html
[1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6093
[2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=152
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

philippeback
There must be a business behind all this to take care of the funding and the daily operations.

Is the consortium going to be taking care of these aspects?

Phil

2012/7/4 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>

Norbert wrote:
>Ok, nothing to do here. Thank you, Captain Hindsight!

While I enjoy your humor and politeness on one side I really
doubt that there is nothing to do here.

How often do we face the outage of SqS. And now a private
server is yet again gone without an easy restore/access to
the backup. It's nice that we can all check our caches to
find the mcz's - but is this the backup strategy to go for
the future?

I provided the ConfigurationBrowser in Pharo to easily load
Metacello packages directly from within the image and spend
a lot of time checking appropriate configs for the various
Pharo versions. On one side we invest in making it easier
for people to load packages on the other side it often
did not work due to this brickle hosting we currently have.

Don't we need a serious discussion and actions on how
to get a reliable infrastructure with official mirrors?

By providing a prebuilt SqueakSource in the past [1] I hoped
the SqS situation will get better when people may setup own
servers and we have more and more mirrors on the net. It did
not happen. We now know that SqS is the "old way".

We currently face decisions what servers to use (SS3, SmalltalkHub, ...)
see issue #6093 [2]

Now we move to SS3 and SmalltalkHub. Can we answer the question
how reliable they are?

I like SmalltalkHub a lot. But still it is centralized and
if it is down it is down for all. Dont we need answers to the
question how independent our infrastructure will be in the future?
If it is backuped, mirrored or restorable?

Dale proposed mirroring for Metacello [3]. We also have filetree [4]
for directory-based Monticello packages enabling the use of Git,
SVN, ... allowing us to use more reliable infrastructure like GitHub, ...
Should we care?

But maybe I should shut up and wait until someone reboots
Squeaksource again (which is down today yet again)

Bye
T.

[1] http://astares.blogspot.de/2005/12/squeaksource-server-image.html
[1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6093
[2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=152
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 04 Jul 2012, at 09:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> There must be a business behind all this to take care of the funding and the daily operations.

More than a year ago I did this:

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://mc-mirror.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ZincHTTPComponents/'
        user: ''
        password: ''

It is a proof of concept, a (now no longer up to date) copy of a repository DIRECTLY hosted by Amazon S3 (works only for public, read-only repositories). It would not be a lot of work to set up a copy process that keeps the mirror up to date for the top 100 projects or so. I would cost some monthly resources though.

I also did this:

        http://mc.stfx.eu

which is a full MC repo (storage only) that is also backed by S3.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

philippeback
Github and Sourceforge are businesses and that's why they stay around.

Without that, well, why not get some resources/space paid by the upcoming "loi 1901 association" in a couple of dedicated servers and set them up with your system?

Sven, I am willing to work with you on this, financially included. If Pharo is going to be thriving, an ecosystem has to blossom anyway. I am about to be on holidays in 2 weeks, and you are welcome to come over for a beer and some setup fun!

Phil

2012/7/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>

On 04 Jul 2012, at 09:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> There must be a business behind all this to take care of the funding and the daily operations.

More than a year ago I did this:

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://mc-mirror.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ZincHTTPComponents/'
        user: ''
        password: ''

It is a proof of concept, a (now no longer up to date) copy of a repository DIRECTLY hosted by Amazon S3 (works only for public, read-only repositories). It would not be a lot of work to set up a copy process that keeps the mirror up to date for the top 100 projects or so. I would cost some monthly resources though.

I also did this:

        http://mc.stfx.eu

which is a full MC repo (storage only) that is also backed by S3.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog: http://philippeback.be

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges
Belgium

On Jul 4, 2012, at 9:28 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> There must be a business behind all this to take care of the funding and the daily operations.
>
> Is the consortium going to be taking care of these aspects?

It is already as a fireman.

Esteban is payed by INRIA for helping to set up the consortium and he is losing time
with such issues.

Indeed we should think about how to replicate information.
About smalltalkHub one deal was that INRIA will host it and replicate on three hosts.
Now since smalltalkHub was delayed for more than 8 months the people changed agenda.

We will check that again with nicolas and christophe because right now it is hosted at object fusion.
Now we were thinking that ESUG could help there because ESUG has also several servers to run and
marcus does not have the time to deal with multiple and different servers. So one central one to manage
ESUG and SmalltalkHub would make sense but nothing was acted so far.

Stef

On Jul 4, 2012, at 9:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Github and Sourceforge are businesses and that's why they stay around.
>
> Without that, well, why not get some resources/space paid by the upcoming "loi 1901 association" in a couple of dedicated servers and set them up with your system?

About S3 we want to control the cost.
Now phil the problem is that so far we should check if we can pay somebody after that all the rest is a bonus.
So this means that so far, somebody will do it on his free time. Marcus administrates the ESUG part during years
and he can continue and we could add one SmalltalkHub Server

Our biggest concerns so far is that INRIA got staff reduction and the servers went really unstable.
So may be we will roll our own.

Stef

> Sven, I am willing to work with you on this, financially included. If Pharo is going to be thriving, an ecosystem has to blossom anyway. I am about to be on holidays in 2 weeks, and you are welcome to come over for a beer and some setup fun!
>
> Phil
>
> 2012/7/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
>
> On 04 Jul 2012, at 09:28, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > There must be a business behind all this to take care of the funding and the daily operations.
>
> More than a year ago I did this:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>         location: 'http://mc-mirror.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ZincHTTPComponents/'
>         user: ''
>         password: ''
>
> It is a proof of concept, a (now no longer up to date) copy of a repository DIRECTLY hosted by Amazon S3 (works only for public, read-only repositories). It would not be a lot of work to set up a copy process that keeps the mirror up to date for the top 100 projects or so. I would cost some monthly resources though.
>
> I also did this:
>
>         http://mc.stfx.eu
>
> which is a full MC repo (storage only) that is also backed by S3.
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill
>

> --
> Philippe Back
> Dramatic Performance Improvements
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog: http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges
> Belgium

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

philippeback
Yet more impetus to push the marketing sliders a couple of notches up.

I'll ask around if I can get some support from my corporate clients to host this as they do have a ton of data centers.

Phil

2012/7/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

On Jul 4, 2012, at 9:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Github and Sourceforge are businesses and that's why they stay around.
>
> Without that, well, why not get some resources/space paid by the upcoming "loi 1901 association" in a couple of dedicated servers and set them up with your system?

About S3 we want to control the cost.
Now phil the problem is that so far we should check if we can pay somebody after that all the rest is a bonus.
So this means that so far, somebody will do it on his free time. Marcus administrates the ESUG part during years
and he can continue and we could add one SmalltalkHub Server

Our biggest concerns so far is that INRIA got staff reduction and the servers went really unstable.
So may be we will roll our own.

Stef

> Sven, I am willing to work with you on this, financially included. If Pharo is going to be thriving, an ecosystem has to blossom anyway. I am about to be on holidays in 2 weeks, and you are welcome to come over for a beer and some setup fun!
>
> Phil
>
> 2012/7/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
>
> On 04 Jul 2012, at 09:28, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > There must be a business behind all this to take care of the funding and the daily operations.
>
> More than a year ago I did this:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>         location: 'http://mc-mirror.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ZincHTTPComponents/'
>         user: ''
>         password: ''
>
> It is a proof of concept, a (now no longer up to date) copy of a repository DIRECTLY hosted by Amazon S3 (works only for public, read-only repositories). It would not be a lot of work to set up a copy process that keeps the mirror up to date for the top 100 projects or so. I would cost some monthly resources though.
>
> I also did this:
>
>         http://mc.stfx.eu
>
> which is a full MC repo (storage only) that is also backed by S3.
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill
>

> --
> Philippe Back
> Dramatic Performance Improvements
> Mob: <a href="tel:%2B32%280%29%20478%20650%20140" value="+32478650140">+32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: <a href="tel:%2B32%20%280%29%2070%20408%20027" value="+3270408027">+32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog: http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges
> Belgium

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

I volunteer for replicate hosting of basic community infractructure like
forthcomming SmalltalkHub on my server located at Hetzner in Germany.

Going just recently through old server crash and being able to restore
main functionality back on new server in few hours, you can expect for
me to have some experience running with all needed reliability and high
availability in mind.

By the way, dedicated server at Hetzner costs me just 50 EUR/month, and
this is 4 core 16GB RAM 2x3TB disk machine. Prices are therefore so low
that everyone can afford such a server now, ESUG and/or Pharo consortium
at least :)

Best regards
Janko

On 04. 07. 2012 10:23, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>> not happen. We now know that SqS is the "old way".
>>
>> We currently face decisions what servers to use (SS3, SmalltalkHub, ...)
>> see issue #6093 [2]
>>
>> Now we move to SS3 and SmalltalkHub. Can we answer the question
>> how reliable they are?
>>
>> I like SmalltalkHub a lot. But still it is centralized and
>> if it is down it is down for all. Dont we need answers to the
>> question how independent our infrastructure will be in the future?
>> If it is backuped, mirrored or restorable?
>>
>> Dale proposed mirroring for Metacello [3]. We also have filetree [4]
>> for directory-based Monticello packages enabling the use of Git,
>> SVN, ... allowing us to use more reliable infrastructure like GitHub, ...
>> Should we care?
>>
>> But maybe I should shut up and wait until someone reboots
>> Squeaksource again (which is down today yet again)

Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Camillo Bruni-3
IT'S CALLED GIT!!!
++++++++++++++++++

Or like any other service that is also used by non smalltalkers!

It's incredible how much effort goes into improving something like
Monticello, where there are stable wide spread solutions out there
that work since years.

- We have an alpha implementation of FS-Git
- We have a quite stable implementation of Filetree
- We have a quite stable implementation of Cypress

I really like Smalltalkhub, but if we could focus such an effort on
these 3 tools here, we can have a nice solution that outperforms
MC in **EVERY** aspect.

I do not have much time on my side right now, but I am working towards
a fully git based solution in pharo, and everybody else should too.

cami

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

yes we discussed about that with marcus.
Now our concern was more about the people maintaining it.

Stef

On Jul 4, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> [...]
>>> for directory-based Monticello packages enabling the use of Git,
>>> SVN, ... allowing us to use more reliable infrastructure like GitHub, ...
>>> Should we care?
>>>
>>> But maybe I should shut up and wait until someone reboots
>>> Squeaksource again (which is down today yet again)
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> T.
>>>
>>> [1] http://astares.blogspot.de/2005/12/squeaksource-server-image.html
>>> [1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6093
>>> [2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=152
>>> [3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
>>>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

camillo

we are not ready and we do not want to rush.

Stef

On Jul 4, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> IT'S CALLED GIT!!!
> ++++++++++++++++++
>
> Or like any other service that is also used by non smalltalkers!
>
> It's incredible how much effort goes into improving something like
> Monticello, where there are stable wide spread solutions out there
> that work since years.
>

> - We have an alpha implementation of FS-Git
> - We have a quite stable implementation of Filetree
> - We have a quite stable implementation of Cypress
>

> I really like Smalltalkhub, but if we could focus such an effort on
> these 3 tools here, we can have a nice solution that outperforms
> MC in **EVERY** aspect.
>
> I do not have much time on my side right now, but I am working towards
> a fully git based solution in pharo, and everybody else should too.
>
> cami

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

philippeback
I am using Mercurial for all of the other projects and technologies.

With a full copy of everything locally, it helps indeed when we get crashes...

But GIT/Hg isn't giving you the change sorter.

2012/7/4 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>
IT'S CALLED GIT!!!
++++++++++++++++++

1301 Bierges
Belgium

On 04 Jul 2012, at 13:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am using Mercurial for all of the other projects and technologies.
>
> With a full copy of everything locally, it helps indeed when we get crashes...
>
> But GIT/Hg isn't giving you the change sorter.

I have used/tried FileTree/Git(hub) a bit and it is cool and it works.
But I do miss (tools) integration in the image.
The workflow also changes a bit, it is no longer all Smalltalk.

IMHO it is not yet quite ready.

Sven

On 2012-07-04, at 13:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> camillo
>
> we are not ready and we do not want to rush.

you're kidding me... FS-Git is out there since 2 damn years!

- I did a 1 week sprint to improve the performance on it and fix some bugs
- I wrote in 1 day a tiny wrapper around it so a git repos can be directly used
  with MC

=> So I recycle 100% of the UI AKA being backwards compatible from
  MC VersionInfo on

Captain Hindsight speeking:

If we'd invested the time gone into Smalltalk into that project we would already
be done!

But somebody had to push that smalltalkhub thing right?

I remember I already had a hard fight here on the mailing list in favor of git.
So I am particularly frustrated.

> On Jul 4, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> IT'S CALLED GIT!!!
>> ++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Or like any other service that is also used by non smalltalkers!
>>
>> It's incredible how much effort goes into improving something like
>> Monticello, where there are stable wide spread solutions out there
>> that work since years.
>>

>> - We have an alpha implementation of FS-Git
>> - We have a quite stable implementation of Filetree
>> - We have a quite stable implementation of Cypress
>>

>> I really like Smalltalkhub, but if we could focus such an effort on
>> these 3 tools here, we can have a nice solution that outperforms
>> MC in **EVERY** aspect.
>>
>> I do not have much time on my side right now, but I am working towards
>> a fully git based solution in pharo, and everybody else should too.
>>
>> cami

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Dennis Schetinin
Am I wrong considering migration to Git-or-AnythingElseTextOriented to be a give up on hopes for a real object-oriented source control/management as it could and should be in Smalltalk?

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin
Sent with Sparrow

On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 г. at 16:02, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

On 04 Jul 2012, at 13:50, [hidden email] wrote:

I am using Mercurial for all of the other projects and technologies.

With a full copy of everything locally, it helps indeed when we get crashes...

But GIT/Hg isn't giving you the change sorter.

I have used/tried FileTree/Git(hub) a bit and it is cool and it works.
But I do miss (tools) integration in the image.
The workflow also changes a bit, it is no longer all Smalltalk.

IMHO it is not yet quite ready.

Sven

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am I wrong considering migration to Git-or-AnythingElseTextOriented to be a
> give up on hopes for a real object-oriented source control/management as it
> could and should be in Smalltalk?

can you think of any feature we could have now we couldn't with Git?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

philippeback
Frustration is a good thing. Especially as a strong motivation factor :-D

All Smalltalk is nice but I doubt Freetype and Cairo are very Smalltalkish. And Git itself is quite a couple a moving parts on the client side.
That kind of argument is moot.

As long as you are able to make it run properly, and it is useful, why not becoming our Git-hero ? :-p

On 2012-07-04, at 13:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> camillo
>
> we are not ready and we do not want to rush.

you're kidding me... FS-Git is out there since 2 damn years!

- I did a 1 week sprint to improve the performance on it and fix some bugs
- I wrote in 1 day a tiny wrapper around it so a git repos can be directly used
  with MC

=> So I recycle 100% of the UI AKA being backwards compatible from
  MC VersionInfo on

Captain Hindsight speeking:

If we'd invested the time gone into Smalltalk into that project we would already
be done!

But somebody had to push that smalltalkhub thing right?

I remember I already had a hard fight here on the mailing list in favor of git.
So I am particularly frustrated.

> On Jul 4, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> IT'S CALLED GIT!!!
>> ++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Or like any other service that is also used by non smalltalkers!
>>
>> It's incredible how much effort goes into improving something like
>> Monticello, where there are stable wide spread solutions out there
>> that work since years.
>>

>> - We have an alpha implementation of FS-Git
>> - We have a quite stable implementation of Filetree
>> - We have a quite stable implementation of Cypress
>>

>> I really like Smalltalkhub, but if we could focus such an effort on
>> these 3 tools here, we can have a nice solution that outperforms
>> MC in **EVERY** aspect.
>>
>> I do not have much time on my side right now, but I am working towards
>> a fully git based solution in pharo, and everybody else should too.
>>
>> cami

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

EstebanLM

No, what is wrong is considering monticello itself an object oriented control management system. Right now MC does not provides anything that can be thought as that... even more, MC does not provides anything better than current CMS around...
So, what we have now is an old CMS, and a lot of tools trying to be compatible with that old system. Imagine if GIT would tried to be compatible with CVS... and to create an object control management is a considerable effort, no one want to do, and probably pointless... at least right now.

best,
Esteban

On 2012-07-04, at 14:02, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 04 Jul 2012, at 13:50, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I am using Mercurial for all of the other projects and technologies.
>>
>> With a full copy of everything locally, it helps indeed when we get crashes...
>>
>> But GIT/Hg isn't giving you the change sorter.
>
> I have used/tried FileTree/Git(hub) a bit and it is cool and it works.
> But I do miss (tools) integration in the image.
> The workflow also changes a bit, it is no longer all Smalltalk.
>
> IMHO it is not yet quite ready.

indeed. I remember that my solution didn't change a thing from the image side
experience. It was "simply" a git backend for MC.

Re: renggli mirror created on smalltalkhub

Herby Vojčík

Camillo Bruni wrote:

> On 2012-07-04, at 14:02, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> On 04 Jul 2012, at 13:50, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Mercurial for all of the other projects and technologies.
>>>
>>> With a full copy of everything locally, it helps indeed when we get crashes...
>>>
>>> But GIT/Hg isn't giving you the change sorter.
>> I have used/tried FileTree/Git(hub) a bit and it is cool and it works.
>> But I do miss (tools) integration in the image.
>> The workflow also changes a bit, it is no longer all Smalltalk.
>>
>> IMHO it is not yet quite ready.
>
> indeed. I remember that my solution didn't change a thing from the image side
> experience. It was "simply" a git backend for MC.

But, well, you should then do something with near-zero obstacle
experience, like mirroring all included-by-default packages on github or
butbucket, uploading your wrapper/backend with ConfigurationOf and all
bells and whistles into some MC repository (SmalltalkHub?), include with
it the code that automatically re-assigns repository paths from
SqueakSource/whatever into github, so people can just load it and get in.

That way, more or them could actually try.

Herby

1234