require.js

Herby Vojčík
Hello,

I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
(it is still crude, but the next step would be to change output of .js
to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must include correct
dependencies in each package).

amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.

See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs

Herby

Re: require.js

Nicolas Petton
I have 3 words for you:
this is awesome

Nico

On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
> (it is still crude, but the next step would be to change output of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must include correct dependencies in each package).
>
> amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>
> See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs
>
> Herby

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: require.js

Clément Béra
Hello,

What does that mean in term of user experience ?

Deployed amber app are now loaded in the web page much faster ?

2013/7/17 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
I have 3 words for you:
this is awesome

Nico

On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
> (it is still crude, but the next step would be to change output of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must include correct dependencies in each package).
>
> amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>
> See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs
>
> Herby

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: require.js

Herby Vojčík
Well, I did not measure UX. It seemed as if it loaded faster, but that may have been wishful thinking.

The thing is, the loader is proprietary and is long due for redesign. It works fine for developers of amber itself, but is not as good for users of it, combining different amber packages into one app (not to mention develop them).

So it has its rationale to offsource loading packages to a library that specializes on it, require.js being hot candidate.

Herby

Clément Bera wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What does that mean in term of user experience ?
>
> Deployed amber app are now loaded in the web page much faster ?
>

> 2013/7/17 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     I have 3 words for you:
>     this is awesome
>
>     Nico
>
>     On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
>     > (it is still cr
ude, but the next step would be to change output

>     of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must
>     include correct dependencies in each package).
>     >
>     > amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>     >
>     > See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs
>     >
>     > Herby
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>     Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>     it, send an email to [hidden email]
>     <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>.
>     >
>     >
>
>     --
>     Nicolas Petton
>     http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: require.js

NorbertHartl

Am 16.07.2013 um 19:31 schrieb Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
> (it is still crude, but the next step would be to change output of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must include correct dependencies in each package).
>
> amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>
> See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs

That is great, Herby. I like to get back in the require.js business and knowing I can include amber as well is great. Personally I got rid of require.js because it is utterly complex if you want something to achieve that is not trivial. So for small projects it is a no go I think.
Do you also support for the optimizer stuff? And using r.js? If we were able to not just make amber loadable by require.js but we would also be capable of combining everything into a few files with proper working dependencies that would be heaven.

keep up the good work,

Norbert

Re: require.js

Nicolas Petton
Herby, did you manage packages commits too, and if so, how?

nico

On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I did not measure UX. It seemed as if it loaded faster, but that may have been wishful thinking.
>
> The thing is, the loader is proprietary and is long due for redesign. It works fine for developers of amber itself, but is not as good for users of it, combining different amber packages into one app (not to mention develop them).
>
> So it has its rationale to offsource loading packages to a library that specializes on it, require.js being hot candidate.
>
> Herby
>
> Clément Bera wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What does that mean in term of user experience ?
>>
>> Deployed amber app are now loaded in the web page much faster ?
>>

>> 2013/7/17 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>    I have 3 words for you:
>>    this is awesome
>>
>>    Nico
>>
>>    On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
>>    <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    > Hello,
>>    >
>>    > I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
>>    > (it is still cr
> ude, but the next step would be to change output
>>    of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must
>>    include correct dependencies in each package).
>>    >
>>    > amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>>    >
>>    > See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs
>>    >
>>    > Herby
>>    >
>>    > --
>>    > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>>    Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>>    > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>>    it, send an email to [hidden email]
>>    <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>.
>>    >
>>    >
>>
>>    --
>>    Nicolas Petton
>>    http://www.nicolas-petton.fr
>>
>>    --
>>

>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: require.js

Herby Vojčík
r.js and optimizer are planned, not touched yet.
 From what I read optimizer does not like shims, so amber packages must
have define(), it is not there yet.

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Am 16.07.2013 um 19:31 schrieb Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
>> (it is still crude, but the next step would be to change output of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must include correct dependencies in each package).
>>
>> amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>>
>> See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs
>>
> That is great, Herby. I like to get back in the require.js business and knowing I can include amber as well is great. Personally I got rid of require.js because it is utterly complex if you want something to achieve that is not trivial. So for small projects it is a no go I think.
> Do you also support for the optimizer stuff? And using r.js? If we were able to not just make amber loadable by require.js but we would also be capable of combining everything into a few files with proper working dependencies that would be heaven.
>
> keep up the good work,
>
> Norbert

Re: require.js

Herby Vojčík
Did not try commits yet, so they should work as normal if there is no specific packageHome. This is a little problematic, each package should know where to commit, so probably some work in Package is needed as well as some glue code put in every .js.

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Herby, did you manage packages commits too, and if so, how?
>
> nico
>
> On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Well, I did not measure UX. It seemed as if it loaded faster, but that may have been wishful thinking.
>>
>> The thing is, the loader is proprietary and is long due for redesign. It works fine for developers of amber itself, but is not as good for users of it, combining different amber packages into one app (not to mention develop them).
>>
>> So it has its rationale to offsource loading packages to a library that specializes on it, require.js being hot candidate.
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> Clément Bera wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What does that mean in term of user ex
perience ?

>>> Deployed amber app are now loaded in the web page much faster ?
>>>

>>> 2013/7/17 Nicolas Petton<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>     I have 3 words for you:
>>>     this is awesome
>>>
>>>     Nico
>>>
>>>     On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]
>>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>     >  Hello,
>>>     >
>>>     >  I managed to get amber loaded by require.js
>>>     >  (it is still cr
>> ude, but the next step would be to change output
>>>     of .js to be fully AMD, which is not trivial since one must
>>>     include correct dependencies in each package).
>>>     >
>>>     >  amber.js is unused, boot.js is wrapped into AMD, others are shimmed.
>>>     >
>>>     >  See https://github.com/herby/amber/tree/requirejs
>>>     >
>>>     >  Herby
>>>     >
>>>     >  --
>>>     >  You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>>>     Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>>>
    >  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from

>>>     it, send an email to [hidden email]
>>>     <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>.
>>>     >
>>>     >
>>>
>>>     --
>>>     Nicolas Petton
>>>     http://www.nicolas-petton.fr
>>>
>>>     --
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: require.js

Herby Vojčík
For those interested, all amber packages are now AMD packages
(they have define() call inside .js) and are committed as such.

The globals (smalltalk, nil, _st) are not globals any more -
they are exported from boot.js and used in the packages via require().

Commit works, albeit only to the default amber directory.

The only big thing missing is inter-package dependencies - they are now
shimmed by hand.

Herby

Re: require.js

Herby Vojčík
I pushed requirejs branch in main repo,
so you can review/contribute easier.

Herby Vojčík wrote:

> For those interested, all amber packages are now AMD packages
> (they have define() call inside .js) and are committed as such.
>
> The globals (smalltalk, nil, _st) are not globals any more -
> they are exported from boot.js and used in the packages via require().
>
> Commit works, albeit only to the default amber directory.
>
> The only big thing missing is inter-package dependencies - they are now
> shimmed by hand.
>
> Herby

Re: require.js

Darius Clarke