resources about the size of software

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I am preparing a talk on software environmentalism (http://www.tudorgirba.com/blog/keynote-at-ecoop-2014) and I am looking for resources around the following issues:
- the amount of source code in the world
- the amount of time spent on reading code
- the development tools in use
- how people use custom tools (for example, unix/linux scripts)
- or other similar ones

Do you happen to know any pointers that go in this direction?

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: resources about the size of software

Andre Hora

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am preparing a talk on software environmentalism (http://www.tudorgirba.com/blog/keynote-at-ecoop-2014) and I am looking for resources around the following issues:
- the amount of source code in the world

This is not the total amount of source code in the works, but it is a quite huge number:
IDC estimates there are more than 10,000 large IBM mainframe sites worldwide with 200 billion lines of legacy code still in use [2].
[2] Len Erlikh. Leveraging Legacy System Dollars for E-Business. IT Professional, vol. 2, no. 3, pages 17–23, 2000. 2

- the amount of time spent on reading code

Corbi estimates the portion of time invested in program comprehension to be between 50 and 60% [1].
[1] Thomas A. Corbi. Program Understanding: Challenge for the 1990’s. IBM Systems Journal, vol. 28, no. 2, pages 294–306, 1989. 2

- the development tools in use
- how people use custom tools (for example, unix/linux scripts)
- or other similar ones

Up to 90% of the total cost of software development project is spent in maintenance and evolution [2,3].
[3] Alan Mark Davis. 201 principles of software development. McGraw-Hill, 1995. 2

Do you happen to know any pointers that go in this direction?

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Andre Hora

Re: resources about the size of software

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Alex,

Thanks. Although interesting, it's not what I am looking for this time.

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

Some of these look quite interesting.

Cheers,
Doru