right button still doesn't work on Windows

right button still doesn't work on Windows

Torsten Bergmann
>With Pharo beta, right button still doesn't work out of the box
>in Windows.

Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?

For me right button work out of the box on XP and Vista and the
installer uses the same image as Damien provides on the download
site.

Bye
Torsten

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Adrian Lienhard
What I don't understand is why InputEventSensor
installMouseDecodeTable would solve the problem because this method is
run at startup...

Adrian

On Aug 11, 2009, at 20:19 , Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> With Pharo beta, right button still doesn't work out of the box
>> in Windows.
>
> Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?
>
> For me right button work out of the box on XP and Vista and the
> installer uses the same image as Damien provides on the download
> site.
>
> Bye
> Torsten
>

> --
> Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla
> Firefox 3 -
> sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>With Pharo beta, right button still doesn't work out of the box
>in Windows.

Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?

It doesn't work neither.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
What I don't understand is why InputEventSensor
installMouseDecodeTable would solve the problem because this method is
run at startup...

I really don't know, but works :(

Adrian

On Aug 11, 2009, at 20:19 , Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> With Pharo beta, right button still doesn't work out of the box
>> in Windows.
>
> Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?
>
> For me right button work out of the box on XP and Vista and the
> installer uses the same image as Damien provides on the download
> site.
>
> Bye
> Torsten
>

> --
> Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla
> Firefox 3 -
> sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Adrian Lienhard
Can you reproduce this with a fresh Pharo-core?

It would be interesting to know whether the method is run at startup
in your image. It is run as expected in my image (latest pharo-core).
Could you add a halt in #installMouseDecodeTable save and restart the
image?

Adrian

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you reproduce this with a fresh Pharo-core?

It would be interesting to know whether the method is run at startup
in your image. It is run as expected in my image (latest pharo-core).
Could you add a halt in #installMouseDecodeTable save and restart the
image?

Yes, I did that. Clean pharo beta core. The situation is this:

When you first open the image, it doesn't work. However, if you save it (without doing nothing) and open it again, it start working (even when not evaluating InputEventSensor  installMouseDecodeTable)

I am alone?

best,

mariano

Adrian

On Aug 11, 2009, at 20:38 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> What I don't understand is why InputEventSensor
>> installMouseDecodeTable would solve the problem because this method
>> is
>> run at startup...
>

> I really don't know, but works :(
>

>> Adrian

>>> Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
>>> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?
>>>
>>> For me right button work out of the box on XP and Vista and the
>>> installer uses the same image as Damien provides on the download
>>> site.
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> Torsten
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla
>>> Firefox 3 -
>>> sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Andrew Tween
Hi Mariano,
You are not alone.
I also get this problem on Windows (Vista) with Pharo1.0betaCore-10401.

The cause of the problem is this...

Both OSPlatform and InputEventSensor are in the Smalltalk StartUpList.
It is ESSENTIAL that OSPlatform's startup code runs BEFORE InputEventSensor's startup code.

This is because installMouseDecodeTable calls "Preferences swapMouseButtons", which in turn calls "OSPlatform current platformFamily".
The OSPlatform startup code sets "OSPlatform Current" to a new instance representing the current platform.

If InputEventSensor startup runs BEFORE OSPlatform's startup, then "OSPlatform current" will be an instance representing the Operating System on which the image was SAVED. (This explains why saving the image and restarting solves the problem)

Try evaluating this in an image with the right mouse button not working...

  ((SystemDictionary classPool at: 'StartUpList') indexOf: #OSPlatform) < ((SystemDictionary classPool at: 'StartUpList') indexOf: #InputEventSensor).

It should be true, but will evaluate to false.

Now evaluate...

  OSPlatform initialize.
   ((SystemDictionary classPool at: 'StartUpList') indexOf: #OSPlatform) < ((SystemDictionary classPool at: 'StartUpList') indexOf: #InputEventSensor).

It is now true - the startups are in the correct order.

I guess that the solution is to build a new core image with the startup order repaired by evaluating "OSPlatform initialize."

Cheers,
Andy
"Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote in message <A href="news:a38fadc50908111224p181c8408qd8c6161229bcae90@mail.gmail.com">news:a38fadc50908111224p181c8408qd8c6161229bcae90@......

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you reproduce this with a fresh Pharo-core?

It would be interesting to know whether the method is run at startup
in your image. It is run as expected in my image (latest pharo-core).
Could you add a halt in #installMouseDecodeTable save and restart the
image?

Yes, I did that. Clean pharo beta core. The situation is this:

When you first open the image, it doesn't work. However, if you save it (without doing nothing) and open it again, it start working (even when not evaluating InputEventSensor  installMouseDecodeTable)

I am alone?

best,

mariano

Adrian

On Aug 11, 2009, at 20:38 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> What I don't understand is why InputEventSensor
>> installMouseDecodeTable would solve the problem because this method
>> is
>> run at startup...
>

> I really don't know, but works :(
>

>> Adrian

>>> Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
>>> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?
>>>
>>> For me right button work out of the box on XP and Vista and the
>>> installer uses the same image as Damien provides on the download
>>> site.
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> Torsten
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla
>>> Firefox 3 -
>>> sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Adrian Lienhard
That explains it! Thanks for figuring out, Andrew.

I reopened http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=838

Adrian

2009/8/12 Andrew Tween <[hidden email]>
[...]

WOW!   Nice debugging!! Thanks for the help. Now I wonder, where to put that "OSPlatform initialize." . This may be evaluated when an image is generated?

What about adding that in something like "ScriptLoader cleanUpForRelease" ?

Best,

Mariano

Cheers,
Andy
"Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote in message <a href="news:a38fadc50908111224p181c8408qd8c6161229bcae90@mail.gmail.com" target="_blank">news:a38fadc50908111224p181c8408qd8c6161229bcae90@......

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you reproduce this with a fresh Pharo-core?

It would be interesting to know whether the method is run at startup
in your image. It is run as expected in my image (latest pharo-core).
Could you add a halt in #installMouseDecodeTable save and restart the
image?

Yes, I did that. Clean pharo beta core. The situation is this:

When you first open the image, it doesn't work. However, if you save it (without doing nothing) and open it again, it start working (even when not evaluating InputEventSensor  installMouseDecodeTable)

I am alone?

best,

mariano

Adrian

On Aug 11, 2009, at 20:38 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>

> wrote:
>
>> What I don't understand is why InputEventSensor
>> installMouseDecodeTable would solve the problem because this method
>> is
>> run at startup...
>

> I really don't know, but works :(
>

>> Adrian

>>> Mariano, can you try the installer executable on
>>> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download ?
>>>
>>> For me right button work out of the box on XP and Vista and the
>>> installer uses the same image as Damien provides on the download
>>> site.
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> Torsten
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla
>>> Firefox 3 -
>>> sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Adrian Lienhard
We need to change the startup list such that the InputEventSensor
comes after OSPlatform. This can be done in InputEventSensor
class>>initialize. Will do that in one of the next updates.

Adrian

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
We need to change the startup list such that the InputEventSensor
comes after OSPlatform. This can be done in InputEventSensor
class>>initialize. Will do that in one of the next updates.

Ok. Be aware that http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=838
the status is fixed. I think we should put another state now until this has really been fixed.

> [...]

>>> in your image. It is run as expected in my image (latest pharo-
>>> core).
>>> Could you add a halt in #installMouseDecodeTable save and restart
>>> the
>>> image?
>>

>> Yes, I did that. Clean pharo beta core. The situation is this:
>>
>> When you first open the image, it doesn't work. However, if you
>> save it
>> (without doing nothing) and open it again, it start working (even
>> when not
>> evaluating InputEventSensor  installMouseDecodeTable)
>>
>> I am alone?
>>
>> best,
>>
>> mariano
>>

>>> Adrian

>>> adi-cTM//Nd5/[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>

>>> http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

Fixed is the correct state. It means that there exists a fix for the
issue. It does not mean that the fix has been released. Latter state
is named "Closed".

Adrian

On Aug 12, 2009, at 17:25 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> We need to change the startup list such that the InputEventSensor
>> comes after OSPlatform. This can be done in InputEventSensor
>> class>>initialize. Will do that in one of the next updates.
>>

> Ok. Be aware that http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=838
> the status is fixed. I think we should put another state now until
> this has
> really been fixed.
>
> Best
>
> Mariano*
> *
>

>> Adrian

>>> WOW!   Nice debugging!! Thanks for the help. Now I wonder, where to
>>> put that
>>> "OSPlatform initialize." . This may be evaluated when an image is
>>> generated?
>>>
>>> What about adding that in something like "ScriptLoader
>>> cleanUpForRelease" ?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: right button still doesn't work on Windows

johnmci

On 12-Aug-09, at 6:33 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> We need to change the startup list such that the InputEventSensor
> comes after OSPlatform. This can be done in InputEventSensor
> class>>initialize. Will do that in one of the next updates.
>
> Adrian

If you are going to do this I would suggest you *audit* the entire
startup/shutdown ordered collection
to understand if the order is correct and somehow ensure perhaps by a
initialization method that
does the reorder for all classes in the sequence that is run when you
build a new official image.

The Sophie team was burned from time to time by this order problem and
having different team
members just drop a class somewhere random in the sequence. As you see
the order *can* be
important, and bizarre things can happen.

A wiki page documenting the why might be useful too.

--
=
=