ring deprecation in pharo 7

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Ring seems to be deprecated in Pharo 7. Is there something else it will be replaced with?

In particular, I am looking for the correct class that should correspond to RGMethodDefinition.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: ring deprecation in pharo 7

Peter Uhnak
Hi Doru,

I imagine the replacement is Pavel's Ring2 https://github.com/pavel-krivanek/ring2

Peter

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:56 PM Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Ring seems to be deprecated in Pharo 7. Is there something else it will be replaced with?

In particular, I am looking for the correct class that should correspond to RGMethodDefinition.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: ring deprecation in pharo 7

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Ok.

So, as Ring2 is not in Pharo 7 and all Ring classes in Pharo 7 are deprecated, should we still use them, or is it desired to load Ring2 in our applications?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: ring deprecation in pharo 7

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

the Ring 2 is not integrated because we do not want to have two version in the system at once and we are not ready for the old Ring removal. However, it is marked as deprecated to warn people that they probably should not base their new code on it.

That is important for more intensive usage of the models. Most people want to simply have something like a method reference. In that case, you can still use the old Ring. We will add some class comments to clarify that.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

--
www.feenk.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: ring deprecation in pharo 7

Tudor Girba-2
Ok. Thanks.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Oct 23, 2018, at 3:30 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> the Ring 2 is not integrated because we do not want to have two version in the system at once and we are not ready for the old Ring removal. However, it is marked as deprecated to warn people that they probably should not base their new code on it.
>
> That is important for more intensive usage of the models. Most people want to simply have something like a method reference. In that case, you can still use the old Ring. We will add some class comments to clarify that.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel
>
> út 23. 10. 2018 v 14:41 odesílatel Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> napsal:
> Hi,
>
> Ok.
>
> So, as Ring2 is not in Pharo 7 and all Ring classes in Pharo 7 are deprecated, should we still use them, or is it desired to load Ring2 in our applications?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > On Oct 23, 2018, at 9:01 AM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Doru,
> >
> > I imagine the replacement is Pavel's Ring2 https://github.com/pavel-krivanek/ring2
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:56 PM Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ring seems to be deprecated in Pharo 7. Is there something else it will be replaced with?
> >
> > In particular, I am looking for the correct class that should correspond to RGMethodDefinition.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > --
> > www.feenk.com
> >
> > "Value is always contextual."
> >

> --
> www.feenk.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

--
www.feenk.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: ring deprecation in pharo 7

Stephan Eggermont-3
wrote:
> the Ring 2 is not integrated because we do not want to have two version in
> the system at once and we are not ready for the old Ring removal. However,
> it is marked as deprecated to warn people that they probably should not
> base their new code on it.

That is not how I understand we deprecate code. How is this migration
supposed to work?

Stephan