roadmap to 1.0-beta.8

1 message Options

roadmap to 1.0-beta.8

Dale
As I have been hinting and hoping recently I am getting very close to releasing 1.0-beta.8.

If you want to see the set of tasks that are remaining before release and track progress click on the following URL:

  http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/list?cursor=91&q=label%3Atask%20label%3A1.0-beta.8&updated=91&ts=1272676410&sort=priority

If you look at the individual Task issues, you can see what other tasks/issues are blocking progress.

The basic sequence is to get Metacello and GemTools released (they are ready) and run through the final set of tests (straightforward) and documentation for the release.

I will announce 1.0-beta.8 as a release candidate for folks to take for a spin and I will be most interested to validate the documentation and get feedback on what I could explain better, since the transition to Metacello does involve changes to the way that you do things.

Once the infant mortality bugs have been dealt with, I will make a general announcement of 1.0-beta.8 which will include a bootstrap release.

A linux installation based upon 2.4.x and 1.0-beta.8 will be released followed by a new version of the appliance.

At this point in time, I think that documentation is probably the big sticking point...

I have finally started creating a set of wiki pages on http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/w/list. The work is in progress, but I always appreciate feedback, so if anyone has the time to click around on the wiki pages and look at what is there and what is missing it would help me moving forward. If you are inspired, I can add you as a developer to the site and let you edit and create documentation there.

I have used the HelpBrowser from Pharo to document the installation and upgrade processes since that information needs to be at the developers fingertips.

The things that I want to document on the wiki include things like development processes using Metacello, Gofer, and Gofer loader. Information about running and developing Seaside, etc. In other words to condense the information that has been spread over my blog posts over time into a wiki form that can be updated in place (instead of following link after link to the raw information:) and more importantly can be created folks other than myself and James...

Dale