roassal categories to packages

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Moose was the first user of RPackage, and RPackage works best when we have one package per category.

Roassal does not comply to this requirement, but it should because I want Moose to continue to be a good RPackage citizen :).

Alex, could you take care of splitting it?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: roassal categories to packages

abergel
I am absolutely for in principle. However there is no good way to manage many packages. Adding or removing a dependent package is just painful. It also significantly increase the loading time.
So yes, we will split Roassal, but not right now :-)

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On May 17, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Moose was the first user of RPackage, and RPackage works best when we have one package per category.
>
> Roassal does not comply to this requirement, but it should because I want Moose to continue to be a good RPackage citizen :).
>
> Alex, could you take care of splitting it?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: roassal categories to packages

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Alex,

This is the discipline in Moose, and I want to keep it. Also, having multiple packages eases collaboration.

So, what does not right now mean? I can also do it, if you want.

Cheers,
Doru

On 17 May 2012, at 22:10, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> I am absolutely for in principle. However there is no good way to manage many packages. Adding or removing a dependent package is just painful. It also significantly increase the loading time.
> So yes, we will split Roassal, but not right now :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On May 17, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Moose was the first user of RPackage, and RPackage works best when we have one package per category.
>>
>> Roassal does not comply to this requirement, but it should because I want Moose to continue to be a good RPackage citizen :).
>>
>> Alex, could you take care of splitting it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: roassal categories to packages

abergel
> This is the discipline in Moose, and I want to keep it. Also, having multiple packages eases collaboration.

Well… A discipline that I would like to see in Moose is a traceability of all the versions. In my opinion, this has more benefits than moving the categories to packages.

> So, what does not right now mean? I can also do it, if you want.

We generate the VisualWorks source code from the Pharo code. I need to make sure that the exporter we have will still work with multiple packages. This automatic export is a top priority of us.

I will do a benchmark for the loading time. We have a Metacello caching under the hood.
I will see this point during next week.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 18 May 2012, at 01:46, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> This is the discipline in Moose, and I want to keep it. Also, having multiple packages eases collaboration.
>
> Well… A discipline that I would like to see in Moose is a traceability of all the versions.

I agree. That is why I repeatedly asked for help on this one since more than one year.

> In my opinion, this has more benefits than moving the categories to packages.

I disagree. The two are not comparable.

>> So, what does not right now mean? I can also do it, if you want.
>
> We generate the VisualWorks source code from the Pharo code. I need to make sure that the exporter we have will still work with multiple packages. This automatic export is a top priority of us.

I do not see why it would not work.

> I will do a benchmark for the loading time. We have a Metacello caching under the hood.
> I will see this point during next week.

Ok.

Doru

> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

>> On 17 May 2012, at 22:10, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> I am absolutely for in principle. However there is no good way to manage many packages. Adding or removing a dependent package is just painful. It also significantly increase the loading time.
>>> So yes, we will split Roassal, but not right now :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

www.tudorgirba.com

If you can't say why something is relevant,
it probably isn't.

Re: roassal categories to packages

> On 18 May 2012, at 01:46, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>>> This is the discipline in Moose, and I want to keep it. Also, having multiple packages eases collaboration.
>>
>> Well… A discipline that I would like to see in Moose is a traceability of all the versions.
>
> I agree. That is why I repeatedly asked for help on this one since more than one year.

Ok I will see what we can do.
Now what would be the path?
Because I do not really see how I can get traceability (reload coherent versions) when using latest.

Re: roassal categories to packages

abergel
>> We generate the VisualWorks source code from the Pharo code. I need to make sure that the exporter we have will still work with multiple packages. This automatic export is a top priority of us.
>
> I do not see why it would not work.

We rely on an external exporter. Part of our process is the following:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Gofer new
                squeaksource: 'PackageInfo';
                package: 'PackageInfo-Exporters';
                load.

        (Smalltalk at: #VW5PackageExporter)
                fileOutPackageNamed:  'Roassal'
        withNamespace: 'Roassal'.

>> I will do a benchmark for the loading time. We have a Metacello caching under the hood.
>> I will see this point during next week.
>
> Ok.

I will let you know.

Alexandre