rpackage status

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?

I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: rpackage status

cdelaunay
What I did recently is to clean , write tests and debug (in particular the problem highlighted in the moose mailing list).
We kept an older version as 'stable' for Moose (that should work also correctly), but maybe we should push the last changes we made ?

2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?

I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: rpackage status

cdelaunay
By the way, there is still one important issue to make  RPackage work correctly:
I think this is something to do with Pharo. So I guess that any change would not be integrated in the version of pharo you are using for moose ?

2011/5/16 Cyrille Delaunay <[hidden email]>
What I did recently is to clean , write tests and debug (in particular the problem highlighted in the moose mailing list).
We kept an older version as 'stable' for Moose (that should work also correctly), but maybe we should push the last changes we made ?

2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?

I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: rpackage status

Tudor Girba
Thanks, Cyrille.

It looks like this issue of no event raising when an empty category is created will take a while, but I do not think this is a critical issue.

Regarding the newer RPackage versions. It looks like it should be stable, and that the difference comes from bug fixes, right? So, if you say it is tested, let's mark it as stable. Could you do that?

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 May 2011, at 10:10, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> By the way, there is still one important issue to make  RPackage work correctly:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3974&q=RPackage&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty
> I think this is something to do with Pharo. So I guess that any change would not be integrated in the version of pharo you are using for moose ?
>
> 2011/5/16 Cyrille Delaunay <[hidden email]>
> What I did recently is to clean , write tests and debug (in particular the problem highlighted in the moose mailing list).
> We kept an older version as 'stable' for Moose (that should work also correctly), but maybe we should push the last changes we made ?
>

> 2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Hi,
>
> I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?
>
> I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: rpackage status

cdelaunay
Ok I marked the version 3.1 as stable.
For the  issue of no event raising, it depends what is critical :) In your moose image, if you create a new category and move a class inside, it will raise an error because RPackage do not find a matching package. This also means that you will not be able to import this category/package in moose

On 16 May 2011, at 10:42, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> Ok I marked the version 3.1 as stable.

It looks good. The latest build is green.

> For the  issue of no event raising, it depends what is critical :) In your moose image, if you create a new category and move a class inside, it will raise an error because RPackage do not find a matching package. This also means that you will not be able to import this category/package in moose

I understand the implication. Could this not be fixed easily in RPackage by ensuring that a package is there when adding a class even if it is not created already?

Cheers,
Doru

> 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Thanks, Cyrille.
>
> It looks like this issue of no event raising when an empty category is created will take a while, but I do not think this is a critical issue.
>
> Regarding the newer RPackage versions. It looks like it should be stable, and that the difference comes from bug fixes, right? So, if you say it is tested, let's mark it as stable. Could you do that?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 16 May 2011, at 10:10, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
> > By the way, there is still one important issue to make  RPackage work correctly:
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3974&q=RPackage&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty
> > I think this is something to do with Pharo. So I guess that any change would not be integrated in the version of pharo you are using for moose ?
> >
> > 2011/5/16 Cyrille Delaunay <[hidden email]>
> > What I did recently is to clean , write tests and debug (in particular the problem highlighted in the moose mailing list).
> > We kept an older version as 'stable' for Moose (that should work also correctly), but maybe we should push the last changes we made ?
> >

> > 2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?
> >
> > I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: rpackage status

cdelaunay
Yes I guess we could temporarily have something like that. When we ask the organizer for an unknown package , we could had a line that looks if a matching category exist in the system. Should I had something like that for the stable version ?

2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Hi,

On 16 May 2011, at 10:42, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> Ok I marked the version 3.1 as stable.

It looks good. The latest build is green.

> For the  issue of no event raising, it depends what is critical :) In your moose image, if you create a new category and move a class inside, it will raise an error because RPackage do not find a matching package. This also means that you will not be able to import this category/package in moose

I understand the implication. Could this not be fixed easily in RPackage by ensuring that a package is there when adding a class even if it is not created already?

Cheers,
Doru

> 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Thanks, Cyrille.
>
> It looks like this issue of no event raising when an empty category is created will take a while, but I do not think this is a critical issue.
>
> Regarding the newer RPackage versions. It looks like it should be stable, and that the difference comes from bug fixes, right? So, if you say it is tested, let's mark it as stable. Could you do that?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 16 May 2011, at 10:10, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
> > By the way, there is still one important issue to make  RPackage work correctly:
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3974&q=RPackage&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty
> > I think this is something to do with Pharo. So I guess that any change would not be integrated in the version of pharo you are using for moose ?
> >
> > 2011/5/16 Cyrille Delaunay <[hidden email]>
> > What I did recently is to clean , write tests and debug (in particular the problem highlighted in the moose mailing list).
> > We kept an older version as 'stable' for Moose (that should work also correctly), but maybe we should push the last changes we made ?
> >

> > 2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?
> >
> > I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: rpackage status

Tudor Girba
Yes.

Be sure to add a test, please :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 May 2011, at 13:02, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> [...]
> > > We kept an older version as 'stable' for Moose (that should work also correctly), but maybe we should push the last changes we made ?
> > >

> > > 2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?
> > >
> > > I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Doru
> > >

> > > --
> > > www.tudorgirba.com
> > >
> > > "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: rpackage status

cdelaunay
I fixed that.
I also realized that I commited the changes of this morning on my personal disk (and not on squeaksource). That's why you might see a 'jump' between rpackage packages versions

> [...]

> > > 2011/5/15 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I lost track of what happened with RPackage. Cyrille, Stef, could you summarize the status?
> > >
> > > I see that the tests are working on 1.2 (except for the expected failing ones). Is it good enough to rely on it for the release? If yes, we release tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Doru
> > >

> > > --
> > > www.tudorgirba.com
> > >
> > > "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."

www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Did you update the configuration as well?

For the locally published versions, please also copy them. Open the Monticello browser, select the version and then press copy and choose the corresponding repository.

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 May 2011, at 14:14, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> I fixed that.
> I also realized that I commited the changes of this morning on my personal disk (and not on squeaksource). That's why you might see a 'jump' between rpackage packages versions
>
> 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Yes.
>
> Be sure to add a test, please :)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 16 May 2011, at 13:02, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
> > Yes I guess we could temporarily have something like that. When we ask the organizer for an unknown package , we could had a line that looks if a matching category exist in the system. Should I had something like that for the stable version ?
> >
> > 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > Hi,
> >

> > On 16 May 2011, at 10:42, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
> >
> > > Ok I marked the version 3.1 as stable.
> >
> > It looks good. The latest build is green.
> >
> > > For the  issue of no event raising, it depends what is critical :) In your moose image, if you create a new category and move a class inside, it will raise an error because RPackage do not find a matching package. This also means that you will not be able to import this category/package in moose
> >
> > I understand the implication. Could this not be fixed easily in RPackage by ensuring that a package is there when adding a class even if it is not created already?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > > 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > > Thanks, Cyrille.
> > >
> > > It looks like this issue of no event raising when an empty category is created will take a while, but I do not think this is a critical issue.
> > >
> > > Regarding the newer RPackage versions. It looks like it should be stable, and that the difference comes from bug fixes, right? So, if you say it is tested, let's mark it as stable. Could you do that?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Doru

> > > --
> > > www.tudorgirba.com
> > >
> > > "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Presenting is storytelling."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: rpackage status

cdelaunay
Yes I updated the configuration.
Why should I copy the locally published version ? Because  those versions should never be used, I just republished the same changes in newest versions, but having the same ancestors (present in teh squeaksource repository).

2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Did you update the configuration as well?

For the locally published versions, please also copy them. Open the Monticello browser, select the version and then press copy and choose the corresponding repository.

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 May 2011, at 14:14, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> I fixed that.
> I also realized that I commited the changes of this morning on my personal disk (and not on squeaksource). That's why you might see a 'jump' between rpackage packages versions
>
> 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Yes.
>
> Be sure to add a test, please :)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 16 May 2011, at 13:02, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
> > Yes I guess we could temporarily have something like that. When we ask the organizer for an unknown package , we could had a line that looks if a matching category exist in the system. Should I had something like that for the stable version ?
> >
> > 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > Hi,
> >

> > On 16 May 2011, at 10:42, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
> >
> > > Ok I marked the version 3.1 as stable.
> >
> > It looks good. The latest build is green.
> >
> > > For the  issue of no event raising, it depends what is critical :) In your moose image, if you create a new category and move a class inside, it will raise an error because RPackage do not find a matching package. This also means that you will not be able to import this category/package in moose
> >
> > I understand the implication. Could this not be fixed easily in RPackage by ensuring that a package is there when adding a class even if it is not created already?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > > 2011/5/16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> > > Thanks, Cyrille.
> > >
> > > It looks like this issue of no event raising when an empty category is created will take a while, but I do not think this is a critical issue.
> > >
> > > Regarding the newer RPackage versions. It looks like it should be stable, and that the difference comes from bug fixes, right? So, if you say it is tested, let's mark it as stable. Could you do that?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Doru

> > > --
> > > www.tudorgirba.com
> > >
> > > "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Presenting is storytelling."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: rpackage status

Yes please do a
        push/ fetch
so that you get all the versions synchronisation in the server and in your local cache.

Stef

On May 16, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> Yes I updated the configuration.
> Why should I copy the locally published version ? Because  those versions should never be used, I just republished the same changes in newest versions, but having the same ancestors (present in teh squeaksource repository).

for the merge computation this is good to have all the history.