rubberbanded sibling problem

Randy Heiland
I painted objects A then B (different objects).  I then used the
shift-click rubberband feature to select them both and then created a
sibling of those selected objects.  Script A1 just did a 'turn by' on
A.  Script A2 did a 'tell all siblings to do A1'.  The latter didn't
work.  It did work on an explicitly created sibling of obj A.

-Randy

RE : rubberbanded sibling problem

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

Hi,

If you use shift click on the green hallo of the rubberband, you get a copy,if you watch the green halo when you shift click, it doesn't become olive.

if you are using the red halo menu to create sibling, the creation of sibling works fine.

shift click on a the halo of an object works fine but not on a rubberband.

There is a difference between copy and sibling.

Copy of objects  which are sibling using the rubberband will create a new set of siblings which are siblings of each other but not of there original object.

regards

RE : RE : rubberbanded sibling problem

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)
I just tried rubberband and siblings  in the olpc image.

- There is no more sibling item in the halo menu therefore no way for creating sibling using rubberband.
- The green halo becomes green olive when shift clicked but creates a copy, not a sibling!

Shift clicking on the green halo of a morph create a sibling, it seems that it is the only way for creating siblings with the olpc image unless removing the etoy user friendly property.

a need: rubberband needs to be fixed.

a wish:  the useful item 'indicate all siblings'  should be added in the  viewer menu after the item 'reveal me' if the morph has siblings.

regards

-------- Messaghttps://mail.ge.ch/exchange/[hidden email]/?Cmd=logoff

  Se déconnecter
e d'origine--------
De: Randy Heiland [mailto:[hidden email]]
Date: ven. 31/08/2007 11:30
À: Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU)
Cc: Squeakland list
Objet : Re: RE : [Squeakland] rubberbanded sibling problem

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I'm well aware of the 'hold down shift'
on the copy handle to make a sibling.  I did that.  However, I see
that I failed to mention in my post that I was referring to the OLPC
version of etoys (2.1 #1565)

-Randy

On Aug 31, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you use shift click on the green hallo of the rubberband, you
> get a copy,if you watch the green halo when you shift click, it
> doesn't become olive.
>
> if you are using the red halo menu to create sibling, the creation
> of sibling works fine.
>
> shift click on a the halo of an object works fine but not on a
> rubberband.
>
> There is a difference between copy and sibling.
>
> Copy of objects  which are sibling using the rubberband will create
> a new set of siblings which are siblings of each other but not of
> there original object.
>

> regards

Comparing squak plugin image and olpc image.
olpc
click on green halo  turn the green halo to olive make a copy
shift click click on green halo  turn the green halo to olive make a sibling.
acts the same way with etoyfriendly unchecked

squeakland plugin
click on green halo  don't turn the green halo to olive, make a copy
shift click click on green halo  turn the green halo to olive make a sibling.
if the etoyfriendly preference is unchecked acts as the olpc image turnig the halo to olive in any case.

Re: rubberbanded sibling problem

Scott Wallace
Hi, Randy, and all,

Thanks for this observation.

Our thinking has been that inadvertent use, which would have
mysterious consequences, would be much more likely than any intended
use.  Therefore, a sibling (or multiple siblings) can only be created
for a single object at a time, and thus we never allow the user to
create siblings from the halo of a "rubber-band" multiple selection.

Formerly, the "siblings" submenu was still available in the halo-menu
for a multiple-selection, but that got fixed earlier this year.

The remaining issue here was that the balloon-help for the green halo-
handle of a multiple selection mistakenly still claimed that if you
held down the shift key you could get siblings rather than copies.
This has now been fixed by etoys2.1 update 1583fixDupHelpMsg.

Cheers,

   -- Scortt