rubric performace

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I did a little experiment to check the performance of Rubric when dealing with large content. And by large, I mean 45 MB  or about 15 million lines of text.

I opened the file in several other editors:
- TextMate: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
- Sublime Text 2: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
- Eclipse: 5s + browsing is very slow (so it is basically useless)

How did Rubric perform:
- When opened with unwrapped lines: 33s + the text can be browsed smoothly
- When opened with wrapped lines -> Pharo crashed :(

In any case, I think being 3 times slower (even if without wrapping) than TextMate is highly exciting. Great job Alain.

If you want to reproduce the experiment, here is the Smalltalk snippet I used:

---
Gofer new
        smalltalkhubUser: 'AlainPlantec' project: 'Rubric';
        package: 'Rubric-AlainPlantec.26';
        load.

[
        contents := ((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'src' / 'ArgoUML-0-34' / 'output.mse') readStreamDo: #contents).
         (RubLipsumBasicExample
                windowWithScrolledText: (
                RubLipsumBasicExample new
                        string: contents;
                        newScrolledTextNotWrapped))
                        openInWorld
         ] timeToRun
---

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: rubric performace

> I did a little experiment to check the performance of Rubric when dealing with large content. And by large, I mean 45 MB  or about 15 million lines of text.
>
> I opened the file in several other editors:
> - TextMate: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
> - Sublime Text 2: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
> - Eclipse: 5s + browsing is very slow (so it is basically useless)

thanks doru this is really interesting.

> How did Rubric perform:
> - When opened with unwrapped lines: 33s + the text can be browsed smoothly
> - When opened with wrapped lines -> Pharo crashed :(
>
> In any case, I think being 3 times slower (even if without wrapping) than TextMate is highly exciting. Great job Alain.

I think that with more ironing and optimisation it will only get better!
Thanks synectique http://www.synectique.eu  for sponsoring the work of Alain and releasing it MIT.

> If you want to reproduce the experiment, here is the Smalltalk snippet I used:
>
> ---
> Gofer new
> smalltalkhubUser: 'AlainPlantec' project: 'Rubric';
> package: 'Rubric-AlainPlantec.26';
> load.
>
> [
> contents := ((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'src' / 'ArgoUML-0-34' / 'output.mse') readStreamDo: #contents).
> (RubLipsumBasicExample
> windowWithScrolledText: (
> RubLipsumBasicExample new
> string: contents;
> newScrolledTextNotWrapped))
> openInWorld
> ] timeToRun
> ---
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

Re: rubric performace

Igor Stasenko
On 25 April 2013 00:03, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did a little experiment to check the performance of Rubric when dealing with large content. And by large, I mean 45 MB  or about 15 million lines of text.
>
> I opened the file in several other editors:
> - TextMate: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
> - Sublime Text 2: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
> - Eclipse: 5s + browsing is very slow (so it is basically useless)
>
> How did Rubric perform:
> - When opened with unwrapped lines: 33s + the text can be browsed smoothly
> - When opened with wrapped lines -> Pharo crashed :(

is it reproducible?

> In any case, I think being 3 times slower (even if without wrapping) than TextMate is highly exciting. Great job Alain.
>
> If you want to reproduce the experiment, here is the Smalltalk snippet I used:
>
> ---
> Gofer new
>         smalltalkhubUser: 'AlainPlantec' project: 'Rubric';
>         package: 'Rubric-AlainPlantec.26';
>         load.
>
> [
>         contents := ((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'src' / 'ArgoUML-0-34' / 'output.mse') readStreamDo: #contents).
>          (RubLipsumBasicExample
>                 windowWithScrolledText: (
>                 RubLipsumBasicExample new
>                         string: contents;
>                         newScrolledTextNotWrapped))
>                         openInWorld
>          ] timeToRun
> ---
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: rubric performace

Usman Bhatti
Thanx for benchmarking Rubric.
Alain, is doing great work and I'll integrate in Glamour for a demo.

usman

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stephane ducasse
doru can you reproduce your crash?
Because igor asked and I did not see your answer.

Stef

On Apr 25, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did a little experiment to check the performance of Rubric when dealing with large content. And by large, I mean 45 MB  or about 15 million lines of text.
>
> I opened the file in several other editors:
> - TextMate: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
> - Sublime Text 2: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
> - Eclipse: 5s + browsing is very slow (so it is basically useless)
>
> How did Rubric perform:
> - When opened with unwrapped lines: 33s + the text can be browsed smoothly
> - When opened with wrapped lines -> Pharo crashed :(
>
> In any case, I think being 3 times slower (even if without wrapping) than TextMate is highly exciting. Great job Alain.
>
> If you want to reproduce the experiment, here is the Smalltalk snippet I used:
>
> ---
> Gofer new
> smalltalkhubUser: 'AlainPlantec' project: 'Rubric';
> package: 'Rubric-AlainPlantec.26';
> load.
>
> [
> contents := ((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'src' / 'ArgoUML-0-34' / 'output.mse') readStreamDo: #contents).
> (RubLipsumBasicExample
> windowWithScrolledText: (
> RubLipsumBasicExample new
> string: contents;
> newScrolledTextNotWrapped))
> openInWorld
> ] timeToRun
> ---
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

Re: rubric performace

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I tried but could not :(. I tried multiple times to load the file and go around the "out of memory" limitation and then at some random point, Pharo crashed. I was on Mac when I did the experiment. If I get more info I will let you know.

Doru

On Apr 29, 2013, at 8:44 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> doru can you reproduce your crash?
> Because igor asked and I did not see your answer.
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 25, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did a little experiment to check the performance of Rubric when dealing with large content. And by large, I mean 45 MB  or about 15 million lines of text.
>>
>> I opened the file in several other editors:
>> - TextMate: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
>> - Sublime Text 2: 10s + the text is wrapped and can be browsed smoothly
>> - Eclipse: 5s + browsing is very slow (so it is basically useless)
>>
>> How did Rubric perform:
>> - When opened with unwrapped lines: 33s + the text can be browsed smoothly
>> - When opened with wrapped lines -> Pharo crashed :(
>>
>> In any case, I think being 3 times slower (even if without wrapping) than TextMate is highly exciting. Great job Alain.
>>
>> If you want to reproduce the experiment, here is the Smalltalk snippet I used:
>>
>> ---
>> Gofer new
>> smalltalkhubUser: 'AlainPlantec' project: 'Rubric';
>> package: 'Rubric-AlainPlantec.26';
>> load.
>>
>> [
>> contents := ((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'src' / 'ArgoUML-0-34' / 'output.mse') readStreamDo: #contents).
>> (RubLipsumBasicExample
>> windowWithScrolledText: (
>> RubLipsumBasicExample new
>> string: contents;
>> newScrolledTextNotWrapped))
>> openInWorld
>> ] timeToRun
>> ---
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "What we can governs what we wish."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: rubric performace

stephane ducasse
tx!