rubric presentation and text color attributes

12

rubric presentation and text color attributes

Usman Bhatti
Hi,

There seems to be a problem with simple the rubric presentation in Moose 5.0. TextColor attributes are overridden with default text color from the theme when the morph is created.

There is a flag in the morph creation code that says that the code needs reviewing in Pharo 4.0. So removing two lines below after the flag resolve this issue:

GLMMorphicRubricTextRenderer>>morph
|morph|
morph := RubScrolledTextMorph new
getSelectionSelector: #primarySelectionInterval;
model: textModel;
color: Smalltalk ui theme backgroundColor;
textFont: StandardFonts defaultFont;
yourself.
self flag: 'Temporary solution until Moose moves to Pharo 4'.
(Smalltalk ui theme class canPerform: #textColor) ifTrue: [
morph textColor: Smalltalk ui theme  textColor ].
^ morph

Should I commit a fix removing the flagged lines? Should I create a new branch for the fix?

Re: rubric presentation and text color attributes

Andrei Chis
Hi Usman,

Are you loading Moose 5.0 in Pharo 3, 4 or 5?

From what I remember due to issues with black/white theme we decided to have the glamour presentation for rubric use the default theme settings.
In Moose 6 the check can be removed but not the settings of the setting of the textColor:

Is there an issue you are having because of this?

Cheers,
Andrei

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Usman,

Are you loading Moose 5.0 in Pharo 3, 4 or 5?

I'm loading it in Pharo 4.0.

From what I remember due to issues with black/white theme we decided to have the glamour presentation for rubric use the default theme settings.
In Moose 6 the check can be removed but not the settings of the setting of the textColor:

Is there an issue you are having because of this?

Yes. When I apply some text coloration and display the text with Rubric presentation, it is overwritten with default text color.
Is there any other text presentation using Rubric that might cover my use case?

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Usman,

Are you loading Moose 5.0 in Pharo 3, 4 or 5?

I'm loading it in Pharo 4.0.

From what I remember due to issues with black/white theme we decided to have the glamour presentation for rubric use the default theme settings.
In Moose 6 the check can be removed but not the settings of the setting of the textColor:

Is there an issue you are having because of this?

Yes. When I apply some text coloration and display the text with Rubric presentation, it is overwritten with default text color.
Is there any other text presentation using Rubric that might cover my use case?

How do you set the text color?
Below is an example where the color is set to red:

composite :=  GLMCompositePresentation new.
composite rubricText
title: 'Red string';
format: [ :object | Text string: object asString attribute: TextColor red ].
composite openOn: 'text'.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Usman,

Are you loading Moose 5.0 in Pharo 3, 4 or 5?

I'm loading it in Pharo 4.0.

From what I remember due to issues with black/white theme we decided to have the glamour presentation for rubric use the default theme settings.
In Moose 6 the check can be removed but not the settings of the setting of the textColor:

Is there an issue you are having because of this?

Yes. When I apply some text coloration and display the text with Rubric presentation, it is overwritten with default text color.
Is there any other text presentation using Rubric that might cover my use case?

How do you set the text color?
Below is an example where the color is set to red:

composite :=  GLMCompositePresentation new.
composite rubricText
title: 'Red string';
format: [ :object | Text string: object asString attribute: TextColor red ].
composite openOn: 'text'.

Yes, I am doing similarly and expect the 'text' to be red.

However, in Moose 5.1 image, 'text' is black. This is because the theme color overwrites all precedent color attributes (in GLMMorphicRubricTextRenderer>>morph).

Inline image 1

[...]

You are right it does not work.

In Pharo 5/Moose 6 we could safely remove that line and check as a RubScrolledTextMorph takes the default settings of the theme.
This does not happen in Pharo 4/Moose 5.1. Through the solution is very simple. Changing RubAbstractTextArea class>>textColor
to return the default textColor from the theme instead of black could make it possible to remove that check. This would require updating
the configurations of both rubric and glamour for moose 5.1.

A branch would be one solution. Creating a repo Moose/Moose51 and putting the fixes there. The second would to prefix the package. Something like Glamour-Morphic-Renderer.Moose51.Author.xyz ?

Cheers,
Andrei

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Usman,

Are you loading Moose 5.0 in Pharo 3, 4 or 5?

I'm loading it in Pharo 4.0.

From what I remember due to issues with black/white theme we decided to have the glamour presentation for rubric use the default theme settings.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right it does not work.

In Pharo 5/Moose 6 we could safely remove that line and check as a RubScrolledTextMorph takes the default settings of the theme.
This does not happen in Pharo 4/Moose 5.1. Through the solution is very simple. Changing RubAbstractTextArea class>>textColor
to return the default textColor from the theme instead of black could make it possible to remove that check. This would require updating
the configurations of both rubric and glamour for moose 5.1.

A branch would be one solution. Creating a repo Moose/Moose51 and putting the fixes there. The second would to prefix the package. Something like Glamour-Morphic-Renderer.Moose51.Author.xyz ?

Logically, we should create a 5.1 repo (project in STHub) to keep things separate and clean, even for a minor non-blocking bug like this. Looking at separate branches of a repo inside Monticello looks a bit weird to me.

Then we'll probably have to upgrade the configuration of Glamour Core for Moose 5.1 to load the fix.

If ok with you, I can take care of the two tasks.

regards.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Usman,

Are you loading Moose 5.0 in Pharo 3, 4 or 5?

I'm loading it in Pharo 4.0.

From what I remember due to issues with black/white theme we decided to have the glamour presentation for rubric use the default theme settings.
[...]

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 04-09-15 10:50, Usman Bhatti wrote:
> Logically, we should create a 5.1 repo (project in STHub) to keep
> things separate and clean, even for a minor non-blocking bug like
> this. Looking at separate branches of a repo inside Monticello looks a
> bit weird to me. Then we'll probably have to upgrade the configuration
> of Glamour Core for Moose 5.1 to load the fix. If ok with you, I can
> take care of the two tasks. regards.
No. We don't do branch repos. Don't start creating a mess.
When the git support with libgit is released we can change things,
now we just need a new version and a configuration with different
versions for pharo 4 and 5 for stable/named versions.

Stephan

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04-09-15 10:50, Usman Bhatti wrote:
Logically, we should create a 5.1 repo (project in STHub) to keep things separate and clean, even for a minor non-blocking bug like this. Looking at separate branches of a repo inside Monticello looks a bit weird to me. Then we'll probably have to upgrade the configuration of Glamour Core for Moose 5.1 to load the fix. If ok with you, I can take care of the two tasks. regards.
No. We don't do branch repos. Don't start creating a mess.
When the git support with libgit is released we can change things,
now we just need a new version and a configuration with different
versions for pharo 4 and 5 for stable/named versions.

A new version only will not solve the problem. The fix also needs to be committed somewhere and if I commit the fix it in the main branch (see screenshot below), I need to merge all the the changes done for Moose 6.0 (and update other packages that these packages depend on) and hence break my tools in Moose 5.1.

I do not see how it can solved without creating a branch.

Indeed, once the fix committed, a new version will be created and the stable will be updated.

Inline image 1

Stephan

On 04-09-15 11:42, Usman Bhatti wrote:
> A new version only will not solve the problem. The fix also needs to
> be committed somewhere and if I commit the fix it in the main branch
> (see screenshot below), I need to merge all the the changes done for
> Moose 6.0 (and update other packages that these packages depend on)
> and hence break my tools in Moose 5.1.
Why? The only thing you are depending on is that #bleedingEdge returns a
version for Moose 6, isn't it?

Stephan

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04-09-15 11:42, Usman Bhatti wrote:
A new version only will not solve the problem. The fix also needs to be committed somewhere and if I commit the fix it in the main branch (see screenshot below), I need to merge all the the changes done for Moose 6.0 (and update other packages that these packages depend on) and hence break my tools in Moose 5.1.
Why? The only thing you are depending on is that #bleedingEdge returns a version for Moose 6, isn't it?

No. We are using the stable version of Moose (release Moose 5.1) for Pharo 4.0 and not the bleeding edge.

Stephan

Re: rubric presentation and text color attributes

Tudor Girba-2
As I mentioned when we released 5.1, we should create a separate repo for committing code packages with fixes for 5.1. The configuration remains in the same place and we will create a new version that will point to the new packages.

@Usman: could you create the moose/moose51 repo?

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

On 03-09-15 11:39, Andrei Chis wrote:
> A branch would be one solution. Creating a repo Moose/Moose51 and putting
> the fixes there. The second would to prefix the package. Something like
> Glamour-Morphic-Renderer.Moose51.Author.xyz ?

In configuration management there are
five orthogonal dimensions:
- version (in time);
- hierarchy (methods classes packages);
- variant (pharo 4, pharo 5);
- status (bleedingEdge, release);
- view (source, tests, help, documentation, deployment)

Mapping them to repositories and filenames is always going to
be tricky, and we tend not to manage all five dimensions.
As soon as you start managing three or more, you start dictating
a development process, and we have several.

Stephan

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I mentioned when we released 5.1, we should create a separate repo for committing code packages with fixes for 5.1. The configuration remains in the same place and we will create a new version that will point to the new packages.

@Usman: could you create the moose/moose51 repo?

MCHttpRepository
user: ''
password: ''

@Andrei, can you commit the fix(es) in the repo? I see how to correct the problem in Glamour renderer but I do not understand what checks you would wish to introduce in Rubric for default theme colors.

Doru

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I mentioned when we released 5.1, we should create a separate repo for committing code packages with fixes for 5.1. The configuration remains in the same place and we will create a new version that will point to the new packages.

@Usman: could you create the moose/moose51 repo?

MCHttpRepository
user: ''
password: ''

@Andrei, can you commit the fix(es) in the repo? I see how to correct the problem in Glamour renderer but I do not understand what checks you would wish to introduce in Rubric for default theme colors.

I committed the two fixes.
Can you update the configurations?

Cheers,
Andrei

Doru

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I mentioned when we released 5.1, we should create a separate repo for committing code packages with fixes for 5.1. The configuration remains in the same place and we will create a new version that will point to the new packages.

@Usman: could you create the moose/moose51 repo?

MCHttpRepository
user: ''
password: ''

@Andrei, can you commit the fix(es) in the repo? I see how to correct the problem in Glamour renderer but I do not understand what checks you would wish to introduce in Rubric for default theme colors.

I committed the two fixes.
Can you update the configurations?

Yes. I'm doing it now.

Cheers,
Andrei

Doru

[...]

Just a note: please still prefix the versions with a Moose51 suffix because we should not confuse them with the ones from the regular repository.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Just a note: please still prefix the versions with a Moose51 suffix because we should not confuse them with the ones from the regular repository.

I created the two versions:

ConfigurationOfGlamourCore>>version313Moose51: (new #stable)
ConfigurationOfRubric>>version1214Moose51:

they are loading correctly in the latest build and the bug is fixed.

[...]

So if someone wants to use rubric in Pharo4, what version should he use?

Stephan

location: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose51/main'

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

On 04 Sep 2015, at 12:34, Usman Bhatti [hidden email] wrote:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM, stephan [hidden email] wrote:

On 04-09-15 11:42, Usman Bhatti wrote:

A new version only will not solve the problem. The fix also needs to
be committed somewhere and if I commit the fix it in the main branch (see
screenshot below), I need to merge all the the changes done for Moose 6.0
(and update other packages that these packages depend on) and hence break
my tools in Moose 5.1.

Why? The only thing you are depending on is that #bleedingEdge
returns a version for Moose 6, isn't it?

No. We are using the stable version of Moose (release Moose 5.1) for
Pharo 4.0 and not the bleeding edge.

Stephan

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: rubric presentation and text color attributes

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 04-09-15 16:12, Usman Bhatti wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a note: please still prefix the versions with a Moose51 suffix
>> because we should not confuse them with the ones from the regular
>> repository.
>>
> I created the two versions:
>
> ConfigurationOfGlamourCore>>version313Moose51: (new #stable)
> ConfigurationOfRubric>>version1214Moose51:

Shouldn't that be a symbolic name #'Moose5.1' refering to version313
resp 1214?

Stephan

12