running Magma tests in 1.1

Chris Muller-3
To run the test-suite for Magma 1.1r2 in Pharo:

- Proceed past two warnings about "FlapTab" when loading Magma.
- Revert FileDirectory>>#fileExists: to the prior version.
- Remove #testClassSchemaUpgrades.
- Load OSProcess.

The second and third steps, above, I believe may be regressions in Pharo 1.1.

In Pharo 1.1:

    FileDirectory default fileExists:  '/bin/sh'    "---> false"

but the file does, indeed, exist as a soft-link.  Squeak answers true
and, I'll bet, so does Pharo 1.0, so I'm not sure if there is a
problem here or not.

#testClassSchemaUpgrades tests Magma's ability to keep up with
class-schema changes in the image.  Usually class-schemas change only
in development, not production systems so maybe it's not a big deal.
But still, it can be very convenient develop new class schemas while
connected to a persistent Magma store.  Magma makes use of the
SystemChangeNotifier to do this.  I don't know if Pharo cleaned
something with SystemChangeNotifier or a regression happened, but I
don't have time to debug it right now.  Certainly, if there is a
problem with Magma I will fix it, but I'm not convinced of that yet.

 - Chris

Re: running Magma tests in 1.1

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Yes, the implementation of fileExists: was changed, so it no longer iterates over entire directory contents, but tries to open the file. Sadly, the Unix vm contains a bug which means relative links will not be resolved correctly.
A fix from Cog has been submitted, but no release has been made which obtains it yet.

Cheers,
Henry

Den 30. juli 2010 kl. 23:09 skrev Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> To run the test-suite for Magma 1.1r2 in Pharo:
>
> - Proceed past two warnings about "FlapTab" when loading Magma.
> - Revert FileDirectory>>#fileExists: to the prior version.
> - Remove #testClassSchemaUpgrades.
> - Load OSProcess.
>
> The second and third steps, above, I believe may be regressions in Pharo 1.1.
>
> In Pharo 1.1:
>
>    FileDirectory default fileExists:  '/bin/sh'    "---> false"
>
> but the file does, indeed, exist as a soft-link.  Squeak answers true
> and, I'll bet, so does Pharo 1.0, so I'm not sure if there is a
> problem here or not.
>
> #testClassSchemaUpgrades tests Magma's ability to keep up with
> class-schema changes in the image.  Usually class-schemas change only
> in development, not production systems so maybe it's not a big deal.
> But still, it can be very convenient develop new class schemas while
> connected to a persistent Magma store.  Magma makes use of the
> SystemChangeNotifier to do this.  I don't know if Pharo cleaned
> something with SystemChangeNotifier or a regression happened, but I
> don't have time to debug it right now.  Certainly, if there is a
> problem with Magma I will fix it, but I'm not convinced of that yet.
>
> - Chris

Re: running Magma tests in 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the implementation of fileExists: was changed, so it no longer iterates over entire directory contents, but tries to open the file. Sadly, the Unix vm contains a bug which means relative links will not be resolved correctly.
A fix from Cog has been submitted, but no release has been made which obtains it yet.

Hi Henry, Thanks a lot. Do you know if we have a test in PharoCore that test this? At least a failing/error one due to this? It would be great to have it.

The other vms are ok ?

thanks

mariano

Cheers,
Henry

Den 30. juli 2010 kl. 23:09 skrev Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> To run the test-suite for Magma 1.1r2 in Pharo:
>
> - Proceed past two warnings about "FlapTab" when loading Magma.
> - Revert FileDirectory>>#fileExists: to the prior version.
> - Remove #testClassSchemaUpgrades.
> - Load OSProcess.
>
> The second and third steps, above, I believe may be regressions in Pharo 1.1.
>
> In Pharo 1.1:
>
>    FileDirectory default fileExists:  '/bin/sh'    "---> false"
>
> but the file does, indeed, exist as a soft-link.  Squeak answers true
> and, I'll bet, so does Pharo 1.0, so I'm not sure if there is a
> problem here or not.
>
> #testClassSchemaUpgrades tests Magma's ability to keep up with
> class-schema changes in the image.  Usually class-schemas change only
> in development, not production systems so maybe it's not a big deal.
> But still, it can be very convenient develop new class schemas while
> connected to a persistent Magma store.  Magma makes use of the
> SystemChangeNotifier to do this.  I don't know if Pharo cleaned
> something with SystemChangeNotifier or a regression happened, but I
> don't have time to debug it right now.  Certainly, if there is a
> problem with Magma I will fix it, but I'm not convinced of that yet.
>
> - Chris

Re: running Magma tests in 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the implementation of fileExists: was changed, so it no longer iterates over entire directory contents, but tries to open the file.

Hi Henry, do you think this is the cause of:  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2987

or it has nothing to do?

thanks

mariano

Sadly, the Unix vm contains a bug which means relative links will not be resolved correctly.
A fix from Cog has been submitted, but no release has been made which obtains it yet.

Cheers,
Henry

Den 30. juli 2010 kl. 23:09 skrev Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> To run the test-suite for Magma 1.1r2 in Pharo:
>
> - Proceed past two warnings about "FlapTab" when loading Magma.
> - Revert FileDirectory>>#fileExists: to the prior version.
> - Remove #testClassSchemaUpgrades.
> - Load OSProcess.
>
> The second and third steps, above, I believe may be regressions in Pharo 1.1.
>
> In Pharo 1.1:
>
>    FileDirectory default fileExists:  '/bin/sh'    "---> false"
>
> but the file does, indeed, exist as a soft-link.  Squeak answers true
> and, I'll bet, so does Pharo 1.0, so I'm not sure if there is a
> problem here or not.
>
> #testClassSchemaUpgrades tests Magma's ability to keep up with
> class-schema changes in the image.  Usually class-schemas change only
> in development, not production systems so maybe it's not a big deal.
> But still, it can be very convenient develop new class schemas while
> connected to a persistent Magma store.  Magma makes use of the
> SystemChangeNotifier to do this.  I don't know if Pharo cleaned
> something with SystemChangeNotifier or a regression happened, but I
> don't have time to debug it right now.  Certainly, if there is a
> problem with Magma I will fix it, but I'm not convinced of that yet.
>
> - Chris

Re: running Magma tests in 1.1

Henrik Sperre Johansen
No.
That was for Linux VM, and only relative _aliases_.

Cheers,
Henry