running Pharo headless as service on Windows.

running Pharo headless as service on Windows.

John Thornborrow
Hi all,

We're attempting to run a Pharo image as Headless as a Service on
Windows XP.

We've successfully done this before, but now we're using a later image
(and exupery vm) it is unable to fully initialize. Squeak.exe is visible
in Task manager.

I don't even know where to start looking for more information so any
help is appreciated :)

I know it's not working because it is only supposed to start, run some
specs/tests, then exit the image. When running this manually in the
command prompt, it behaves as expected (with and without the -headless
opt) but when run as service (SYSTEM user) it starts, but does nothing.
Presumably because of Morphic and no user environment for SYSTEM?

MAny thanks and Regards,
John Thornborrow.

www.pinesoft.co.uk

Consider your responsibility to the environment - think before you print!

******************************************************************************************************************************************
This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: running Pharo headless as service on Windows.

Schwab,Wilhelm K
John,

How are you obtaining the output, and/or concluding that the intended thing happened?  I have found services to be quite flaky on Windows (did I just limit the scope to services??<g>), with a mix of silly syntax restrictions in the service properties and registry entries making huge differences in success or failure (with no useful error messages), and other hassles following from things like OutputDebugString() being hobbled ever more over time.

Bill

Re: running Pharo headless as service on Windows.

Damien Cassou
hi John,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM, John Thornborrow<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're attempting to run a Pharo image as Headless as a Service on
> Windows XP.
>
> We've successfully done this before, but now we're using a later image
> (and exupery vm) it is unable to fully initialize. Squeak.exe is visible
> in Task manager.
>
> I don't even know where to start looking for more information so any
> help is appreciated :)
>
> I know it's not working because it is only supposed to start, run some
> specs/tests, then exit the image. When running this manually in the
> command prompt, it behaves as expected (with and without the -headless
> opt) but when run as service (SYSTEM user) it starts, but does nothing.
> Presumably because of Morphic and no user environment for SYSTEM?

last time I had a similar problem it was related to SqueakV39.sources
that was not present when using Squeak as a service.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: running Pharo headless as service on Windows.

John Thornborrow
Hi Damien,

Yes, this was the problem. Details in my reply to Wilhelm if interested :)

Regards,
John.

Damien Cassou wrote:

> hi John,
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM, John Thornborrow<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We're attempting to run a Pharo image as Headless as a Service on
>> Windows XP.
>>
>> We've successfully done this before, but now we're using a later image
>> (and exupery vm) it is unable to fully initialize. Squeak.exe is visible
>> in Task manager.
>>
>> I don't even know where to start looking for more information so any
>> help is appreciated :)
>>
>> I know it's not working because it is only supposed to start, run some
>> specs/tests, then exit the image. When running this manually in the
>> command prompt, it behaves as expected (with and without the -headless
>> opt) but when run as service (SYSTEM user) it starts, but does nothing.
>> Presumably because of Morphic and no user environment for SYSTEM?
>>

> last time I had a similar problem it was related to SqueakV39.sources
> that was not present when using Squeak as a service.

Consider your responsibility to the environment - think before you print!

******************************************************************************************************************************************
This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: running Pharo headless as service on Windows.

John Thornborrow
Hi Wilhelm,

To be semantic, we aren't running Pharo directly as a service - we are
using Hudson[1] to execute the image. The image then outputs the test
results to a text file (we are using SSpec and TextSpecRunner) and a
batch script parses this results file.

The issue was, as Damien suggested, that the image could not locate a
sources file, so instead of calling the executable with the full path in
our batch script, I simply changed it to "cd" to the path and call it
locally :)

Regards,
John.

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> John,
>
> How are you obtaining the output, and/or concluding that the intended thing happened?  I have found services to be quite flaky on Windows (did I just limit the scope to services??<g>), with a mix of silly syntax restrictions in the service properties and registry entries making huge differences in success or failure (with no useful error messages), and other hassles following from things like OutputDebugString() being hobbled ever more over time.
>
> Bill

I'm glad you go it going.  There is also an AppDirectory key that you can associate with a service, and I _think_ it will accomplish the same thing, albeit with silly syntax and no error useful messages :)

Bill