running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sanjay Minni
Hi,

I am using a Windows 10 local machine and digitalocean ubuntu server droplet
- how can I run pharo 8 remotedly in the windows 10 inbuilt powershell ssh
terminal - or any other method

(I have  successfully executed
    # ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer startDefaultOn: 8080'
and connected from my local machine)

-----
cheers,
Sanjay

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sanjay Minni
probably this earlier thread http://forum.world.st/Pharo-7-RFB-td5089434.html
on
RFB / VNC - remote access to graphical user interface is related.

How to  set it up in the situation below

Sanjay Minni wrote

> Hi,
>
> I am using a Windows 10 local machine and digitalocean ubuntu server
> droplet
> - how can I run pharo 8 remotedly in the windows 10 inbuilt powershell ssh
> terminal - or any other method
>
> (I have  successfully executed
>     # ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer startDefaultOn: 8080'
> and connected from my local machine)
>

> -----
> cheers,
> Sanjay

-----
cheers,
Sanjay

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

cedreek
Hi Sanjai,

Have you tried Telepharo ?

Hth,

Cédrick

Le 18 avr. 2020 à 19:41, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Eventually in a Digitalocean Ubuntu droplet, I connected from Windows 10 to
a Ubuntu Graphical desktop, installed PharoLauncher and couple of images and
got seaside up, installed Mongo DB and a Pharo App. pretty smooth and can
share how to step by step if anybody is interested.

(note: no additional software is required on Windows 10 except chrome - as
SSH, Remote Desktop is inbuilt, Chrome only for its VNC app)

Question: what is the best way to run and leave the Pharo App as a seaside
server running.
Currently I am running thru the X Desktop and if I Disconnect / logout from
the remote desktop session then the pharo app may go down. also is that the
most stable and resource optimised way

further: is Apache recommended

-----
cheers,
Sanjay

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Everybody is free to do whatever they want, of course.

My advice would be to not use graphical tools to deploy server applications (unless as add ons afterwards, like a dashboard or management app).

Use Linux (Ubuntu is the safest choice).

Stick with headless (no gui) command line tools.

Pharo is very good at this.

The following book chapter explain things reasonably well:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html

Nowadays, you would use Baselines and git though.

I can give you more info if you want. Feel free to ask questions.

Sven

> On 16 May 2020, at 07:00, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Eventually in a Digitalocean Ubuntu droplet, I connected from Windows 10 to
> a Ubuntu Graphical desktop, installed PharoLauncher and couple of images and
> got seaside up, installed Mongo DB and a Pharo App. pretty smooth and can
> share how to step by step if anybody is interested.
>
> (note: no additional software is required on Windows 10 except chrome - as
> SSH, Remote Desktop is inbuilt, Chrome only for its VNC app)
>
> Question: what is the best way to run and leave the Pharo App as a seaside
> server running.
> Currently I am running thru the X Desktop and if I Disconnect / logout from
> the remote desktop session then the pharo app may go down. also is that the
> most stable and resource optimised way
>
> further: is Apache recommended
>

> -----
> cheers,
> Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 16 May 2020, at 09:22, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Everybody is free to do whatever they want, of course.
>
> My advice would be to not use graphical tools to deploy server applications (unless as add ons afterwards, like a dashboard or management app).
>
> Use Linux (Ubuntu is the safest choice).
>
> Stick with headless (no gui) command line tools.
>
> Pharo is very good at this.

Also use 64-bit (that is 64-bit Pharo on 64-bit Linux), it will make your life much easier.

Here is a short example:

stfx@audio359:~$ mkdir pharo8

stfx@audio359:~$ cd !$
cd pharo8

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  3054  100  3054    0     0  67866      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 69409
Downloading the latest 80 Image:
    http://files.pharo.org/get-files/80/pharo64.zip
Pharo.image
Downloading the latest pharoVM:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/80/pharo64-linux-stable.zip
pharo-vm/pharo
Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer startOn: 9090' &
[1] 84125
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl http://localhost:9090/random
CF4173824EF6E0D9F336E5464A5FACB8ABEFFD1A6EE7A5F9F6631186F619606

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ jobs
[1]+  Running                 nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer startOn: 9090' &

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ kill %1
[1]+  Terminated              nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer startOn: 9090'

BTW, nohup is one way to keep something running after you log out (systemctl services being the pro/real way)

> The following book chapter explain things reasonably well:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html
>
> Nowadays, you would use Baselines and git though.
>
> I can give you more info if you want. Feel free to ask questions.
>
> Sven
>
>> On 16 May 2020, at 07:00, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Eventually in a Digitalocean Ubuntu droplet, I connected from Windows 10 to
>> a Ubuntu Graphical desktop, installed PharoLauncher and couple of images and
>> got seaside up, installed Mongo DB and a Pharo App. pretty smooth and can
>> share how to step by step if anybody is interested.
>>
>> (note: no additional software is required on Windows 10 except chrome - as
>> SSH, Remote Desktop is inbuilt, Chrome only for its VNC app)
>>
>> Question: what is the best way to run and leave the Pharo App as a seaside
>> server running.
>> Currently I am running thru the X Desktop and if I Disconnect / logout from
>> the remote desktop session then the pharo app may go down. also is that the
>> most stable and resource optimised way
>>
>> further: is Apache recommended
>>

>> -----
>> cheers,
>> Sanjay
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sanjay Minni
Can I run this way the same image which otherwise runs fine thru the
graphical environment

When I run that image in graphical environment it immediately starts as the
application server. So cwould it work from the command line tools without
changes.

...$ ...
...$ nohup ./pharo <myPharo.imageWithCompletePath>

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 16 May 2020, at 11:15, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can I run this way the same image which otherwise runs fine thru the
> graphical environment
>
> When I run that image in graphical environment it immediately starts as the
> application server. So cwould it work from the command line tools without
> changes.
>
> ...$ ...
> ...$ nohup ./pharo <myPharo.imageWithCompletePath>

In principle, yes.

But I recommend to not have running servers/services in the saved image, but instead to save (better auto build) a new clean image with nothing open (close all windows), nothing running, just your code. And then use a startup script.

Either use a run.st file which does all the work, or a class side 'MyStart startForProduction'.

Please read the book chapter.

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> On 16 May 2020, at 09:22, Sven Van Caekenberghe &lt;
>
>> sven@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Everybody is free to do whatever they want, of course.
>>>
>>> My advice would be to not use graphical tools to deploy server
>>> applications (unless as add ons afterwards, like a dashboard or
>>> management app).
>>>
>>> Use Linux (Ubuntu is the safest choice).
>>>
>>> Stick with headless (no gui) command line tools.
>>>
>>> Pharo is very good at this.
>>
>> Also use 64-bit (that is 64-bit Pharo on 64-bit Linux), it will make your
>> life much easier.
>>
>> Here is a short example:
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~$ mkdir pharo8
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~$ cd !$
>> cd pharo8
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash
>>  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
>> Current
>>                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
>> Speed
>> 100  3054  100  3054    0     0  67866      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
>> 69409
>> Downloading the latest 80 Image:
>>    http://files.pharo.org/get-files/80/pharo64.zip
>> Pharo.image
>> Downloading the latest pharoVM:
>> http://files.pharo.org/get-files/80/pharo64-linux-stable.zip
>> pharo-vm/pharo
>> Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer
>> startOn: 9090' &
>> [1] 84125
>> nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl http://localhost:9090/random
>> CF4173824EF6E0D9F336E5464A5FACB8ABEFFD1A6EE7A5F9F6631186F619606
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ jobs
>> [1]+  Running                 nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit
>> 'ZnServer startOn: 9090' &
>>
>> stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ kill %1
>> [1]+  Terminated              nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit
>> 'ZnServer startOn: 9090'
>>
>> BTW, nohup is one way to keep something running after you log out
>> (systemctl services being the pro/real way)
>>
>>> The following book chapter explain things reasonably well:
>>>
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html
>>>
>>> Nowadays, you would use Baselines and git though.
>>>
>>> I can give you more info if you want. Feel free to ask questions.
>>>
>>> Sven

>> sm@

> -----
> cheers,
> Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sanjay Minni
@Sven,

(While going thru the book ".../DeployForProduction...")

seems section 1 & 2 would have to be updated ...

In section 3 Build Your Image ...
what is the script for installing dependencies from github and having a
Baseline (instead of Configuration) as practically all packages have moved
to Github

and
In this method it seems the image is never saved / persistent. In the event
of a stoppage it begins ground up. Is that correct ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 16 May 2020, at 11:15, Sanjay Minni &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Can I run this way the same image which otherwise runs fine thru the
>> graphical environment
>>
>> When I run that image in graphical environment it immediately starts as
>> the
>> application server. So cwould it work from the command line tools without
>> changes.
>>
>> ...$ ...
>> ...$ nohup ./pharo
> <myPharo.imageWithCompletePath>
> In principle, yes.
>
> But I recommend to not have running servers/services in the saved image,
> but instead to save (better auto build) a new clean image with nothing
> open (close all windows), nothing running, just your code. And then use a
> startup script.
>
> Either use a run.st file which does all the work, or a class side 'MyStart
> startForProduction'.
>
> Please read the book chapter.
>
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>
>>> sven@

>>> Also use 64-bit (that is 64-bit Pharo on 64-bit Linux), it will make
>>> your
>>> life much easier.
>>>
>>> Here is a short example:
>>>
>>> stfx@audio359:~$ mkdir pharo8
>>>
>>> stfx@audio359:~$ cd !$
>>> cd pharo8
>>>
>>> stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash
>>>  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
>>> Current
>>>                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
>>> Speed
>>> 100  3054  100  3054    0     0  67866      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Sanjay,

When you do a metacello configuration or baseline install with the command line tools, the image is saved automatically at the end (if the load is successful).

My current approach is described here

 https://github.com/svenvc/minimal-pharo-server-tools

which is a newer version of

 https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

Much of this goes beyond Pharo and requires some Unix/Linux knowledge, but it is all standard stuff.

Sven

> On 17 May 2020, at 18:39, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Sven,
>
> (While going thru the book ".../DeployForProduction...")
>
> seems section 1 & 2 would have to be updated ...
>
> In section 3 Build Your Image ...
> what is the script for installing dependencies from github and having a
> Baseline (instead of Configuration) as practically all packages have moved
> to Github
>
> and
> In this method it seems the image is never saved / persistent. In the event
> of a stoppage it begins ground up. Is that correct ?
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> On 16 May 2020, at 11:15, Sanjay Minni &lt;
>
>> sm@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> Can I run this way the same image which otherwise runs fine thru the
>>> graphical environment
>>>
>>> When I run that image in graphical environment it immediately starts as
>>> the
>>> application server. So cwould it work from the command line tools without
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> ...$ ...
>>> ...$ nohup ./pharo
>> <myPharo.imageWithCompletePath>
>> In principle, yes.
>>
>> But I recommend to not have running servers/services in the saved image,
>> but instead to save (better auto build) a new clean image with nothing
>> open (close all windows), nothing running, just your code. And then use a
>> startup script.
>>
>> Either use a run.st file which does all the work, or a class side 'MyStart
>> startForProduction'.
>>
>> Please read the book chapter.
>>
>>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote

>>> -----
>>> cheers,
>>> Sanjay
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>

> -----
> cheers,
> Sanjay

Re: running Pharo8 in Digitalocean

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks sven :)

On 17 May 2020, at 20:28, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sanjay,

When you do a metacello configuration or baseline install with the command line tools, the image is saved automatically at the end (if the load is successful).

My current approach is described here

https://github.com/svenvc/minimal-pharo-server-tools

which is a newer version of

https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

Much of this goes beyond Pharo and requires some Unix/Linux knowledge, but it is all standard stuff.

Sven

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50