running code asynchronously

rjk-2
Dear Seasiders,

I'm cooking up some seaside/code recipes as an exercise and hopefully
for (web)publication some day, i have the following question;

Q. How do i run code asynchronously (inside the request/response
cycle) ?
A. My answer at this point is the following using a [block] fork.
construct
as described in Smalltalk by example from alex sharp:

        01 renderContentOn: html
        02    html paragraph: Time now asTimeStamp.
        03    [Transcript cr; show: 'waiting for 10 seconds...'.
        04    (Delay forSeconds: 10) wait.
        05    Transcript cr; show: 'done!...'] fork.
        06    html paragraph: Time now asTimeStamp.

Could somebody confirm this? and give additional comments if this is
not the true seaside way?
Thanks in advance!

Redmar Kerkhoff

Re: running code asynchronously

Stefan Schmiedl
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:17:45 +0200
rjk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Seasiders,
>
> I'm cooking up some seaside/code recipes as an exercise and hopefully
> for (web)publication some day, i have the following question;
>
> Q. How do i run code asynchronously (inside the request/response
> cycle) ?

The question sounds wrong :-D

IMO, it's either "synchronously inside the cycle" or "asynchronously
beside the cycle".

> A. My answer at this point is the following using a [block] fork.
> construct
> as described in Smalltalk by example from alex sharp:
>
> 01 renderContentOn: html
> 02    html paragraph: Time now asTimeStamp.
> 03    [Transcript cr; show: 'waiting for 10 seconds...'.
> 04    (Delay forSeconds: 10) wait.
> 05    Transcript cr; show: 'done!...'] fork.
> 06    html paragraph: Time now asTimeStamp.
>
> Could somebody confirm this? and give additional comments if this is
> not the true seaside way?

re "true seaside way": That would totally depend on what you're doing
in the forked thread.

s.

Re: running code asynchronously

Philippe Marschall
2008/4/27 rjk <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Seasiders,
>
>  I'm cooking up some seaside/code recipes as an exercise and hopefully
>  for (web)publication some day, i have the following question;
>
>  Q. How do i run code asynchronously (inside the request/response cycle) ?
>  A. My answer at this point is the following using a [block] fork. construct
>  as described in Smalltalk by example from alex sharp:
>
>         01 renderContentOn: html
>         02    html paragraph: Time now asTimeStamp.
>         03    [Transcript cr; show: 'waiting for 10 seconds...'.
>         04    (Delay forSeconds: 10) wait.
>         05    Transcript cr; show: 'done!...'] fork.
>         06    html paragraph: Time now asTimeStamp.
>
>  Could somebody confirm this? and give additional comments if this is not
> the true seaside way?

- What problem do you want to solve?
- Whatever you do are you sure you want to do it in the rendering phase?

Cheers
Philippe