running windows vm with input script

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I cannot figure out how to open a pharo image and run some script(s)
specified from the Windows command line.

On Mac/Linux, I would do:

pharo pharo.image script.st

Can anyone tell me how to achieve that on Windows?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: running windows vm with input script

Rob Rothwell
Message: 6
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:09:29 +0200
From: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Pharo-project] running windows vm with input script
To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>

I cannot figure out how to open a pharo image and run some script(s)
specified from the Windows command line.

On Mac/Linux, I would do:

pharo pharo.image script.st

Can anyone tell me how to achieve that on Windows?

Hmm...I just did:

pharo test.st

and it worked, with pharo.ini as follows, since I am using a Cog image that I renamed:

[Global]
WindowTitle="Pharo"
QuitDialogLabel="Quit Pharo"
ImageFile="Pharo-1.1-11406-rc3dev10.07.2.working.image"
QuitDialogMessage="Are you sure you want to quit Pharo without saving?"
DeferUpdate=1
ShowConsole=0
DynamicConsole=1
ReduceCPUUsage=1
ReduceCPUInBackground=0
3ButtonMouse=0
1ButtonMouse=0
UseDirectSound=1
PriorityBoost=1
B3DXUsesOpenGL=1
CaseSensitiveFileMode=0

My test.st just had:

Transcript show: 'Hello'.

But it opened my image and ran the script...

Some time ago I modified the VM to allow setting the error code from within the image before exiting so you could check a return value from a batch file or vbscript, etc...  It turned out I didn't need it at the time, but I've always thought that should become part of the VM.   Of course, it requires a new primitive as well...

Let me know if I didn't try what you are asking...

Rob

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: running windows vm with input script

Tudor Girba
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the answer. This is indeed the scenario I was looking for,
only I would also like to be able to pass the image as a parameter as
well.

In any case, unfortunately the Cog VM is still beta, and I need to
deploy this in a production environment. So, I would need to do it
with the regular closure VMs.

I forgot to mention that I am running Pharo 1.1. If I just execute:

pharo myimage.image script.st

the image gets spawned, but the whole Pharo is frozen.

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Jul 2010, at 01:50, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:09:29 +0200
> From: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Pharo-project] running windows vm with input script
> To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>

> I cannot figure out how to open a pharo image and run some script(s)
> specified from the Windows command line.
>
> On Mac/Linux, I would do:
>
> pharo pharo.image script.st
>
> Can anyone tell me how to achieve that on Windows?
>
> Hmm...I just did:
>
> pharo test.st
>
> and it worked, with pharo.ini as follows, since I am using a Cog
> image that I renamed:
>
> [Global]
> WindowTitle="Pharo"
> QuitDialogLabel="Quit Pharo"
> ImageFile="Pharo-1.1-11406-rc3dev10.07.2.working.image"
> QuitDialogMessage="Are you sure you want to quit Pharo without
> saving?"
> DeferUpdate=1
> ShowConsole=0
> DynamicConsole=1
> ReduceCPUUsage=1
> ReduceCPUInBackground=0
> 3ButtonMouse=0
> 1ButtonMouse=0
> UseDirectSound=1
> PriorityBoost=1
> B3DXUsesOpenGL=1
> CaseSensitiveFileMode=0
>
> My test.st just had:
>
> Transcript show: 'Hello'.
>
> But it opened my image and ran the script...
>
> Some time ago I modified the VM to allow setting the error code from
> within the image before exiting so you could check a return value
> from a batch file or vbscript, etc...  It turned out I didn't need
> it at the time, but I've always thought that should become part of
> the VM.   Of course, it requires a new primitive as well...
>
> Let me know if I didn't try what you are asking...
>
> Rob
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: running windows vm with input script

laurent laffont

I forgot to mention that I am running Pharo 1.1. If I just execute:

pharo myimage.image script.st

Have you tried with an absolute path ? pharo myimage.image C:\Path\to\script.st

Laurent

the image gets spawned, but the whole Pharo is frozen.

Cheers,
Doru

Message: 6

Re: running windows vm with input script

Tudor Girba
Yohoo! That was it.

Genius :)

Thanks a lot,