sanity check

Herbert König
Hi,

my diagnosis on the attached debugger is, that between (1) and (2)
some other process resulting from an Ajax event has set observee
selectedPosition to nil.

A solution would be to have a single request from the browser which
first does the changes to the model and then updates the required
parts of the Webpage.

Am I right here?

In this example the event should first set selectedPosition to nil (by
deleting it) and then Ajax update the grid with no highlighted row and
one row missing. And update some other elements of the page.

Am I just dense in not seeing how to do this (without refreshing the
whole page) or is this currently not possible in AIDA?

Cheers,

Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Halt.png (86K) Download Attachment

Re: sanity check

BrunoBB
Hi,

I'm not AIDA expert, but sometimes while debugging something very similar
happened to me.

I check for notNil and actually is not nil (1), but after that it result
that it is nil (2).

But this happened sometimes only and while debugging.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: [aida] sanity check

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert!

Code below is not executing the inner block immediatelly but after the
grid is shown! In below code the #rowBlueIfTrue: just sets the block in
argument to be executed later. It is therefore plenty if possibilities
that selectedPosition is nilled somewhere. I would set a breakpoint in
its mutator to see, who is nilling it. It can even be a parallel Ajax
request, yes.

Best regards
Janko

On 15. 01. 2010 12:23, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my diagnosis on the attached debugger is, that between (1) and (2)
> some other process resulting from an Ajax event has set observee
> selectedPosition to nil.
>
> A solution would be to have a single request from the browser which
> first does the changes to the model and then updates the required
> parts of the Webpage.
>
> Am I right here?
>
> In this example the event should first set selectedPosition to nil (by
> deleting it) and then Ajax update the grid with no highlighted row and
> one row missing. And update some other elements of the page.
>
> Am I just dense in not seeing how to do this (without refreshing the
> whole page) or is this currently not possible in AIDA?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [aida] sanity check

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> It is therefore plenty if possibilities
JM> that selectedPosition is nilled somewhere. I would set a breakpoint in
JM> its mutator to see, who is nilling it. It can even be a parallel Ajax
JM> request, yes.

I know who's nilling it but I obviously can't control when it is
nilled (nice word :-) compared to other events.

I'd like to go with the spirit of AIDA as much as possible.

I think I should:
1- implement printWebPageFor:On: in my model and do all necessary
changes in the model and then send the same message to super (Object)
to do the rest (maybe several messages for several update requests)
plus:
2- change the JS to make sure only one Ajax request is fired which
contains all requests. (instead of creating an AjaxUpdater for every
element I want updated and one of them changing the model)

Or would you propose a different way which is more along the lines of
AIDA?

Later on (no promise when, time is scarce) 1- above would omit the
super send and directly reply some JSON to the browser.