saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

Andrei Chis
Hi all,

I saw that there are a few issues about images saved on an operating system not working when opened on other operating systems:

I gave the fix in case 19869 a try and with it I can save an image on windows and open it on mac, however, there are some side effects.
First several folders having the following name are created in the image folder:

'\Users\andrei\test-image'
'\Users\andrei\test-image\pharo-local\'
'\Users\andrei\test-image\pharo-local\ombu-sessions'

Second, I can only open the image on man once. The second time I get the following stack:

[31mPrimitiveFailed: primitive #createDirectory: in WindowsStore failed
[0mWindowsStore(Object)>>primitiveFailed:
WindowsStore(Object)>>primitiveFailed
WindowsStore(DiskStore)>>createDirectory:
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>ensureCreateDirectory:
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>ensureCreateDirectory:
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>ensureCreateDirectory:
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>ensureCreateDirectory:
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>ensureCreateDirectory:
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>ensureCreateDirectory:
FileSystem>>ensureCreateDirectory:
FileReference>>ensureCreateDirectory
OmSessionStore>>resetWithStoreNamed:
OmSessionStore>>resetWithNextStoreName
OmSessionStore>>store
WeakMessageSend>>value
WeakMessageSend>>cull:
WeakMessageSend>>cull:cull:
[ action cull: arg1 cull: announcer ] in LegacyWeakSubscription(WeakAnnouncementSubscription)>>deliver: in Block: [ action cull: arg1 cull: announcer ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
BlockClosure>>on:fork:
LegacyWeakSubscription(WeakAnnouncementSubscription)>>deliver:
[ tmp4 deliver: arg1 ] in SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:to:startingAt: in Block: [ tmp4 deliver: arg1 ]
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:to:startingAt:
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:to:
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:
SystemAnnouncer(Announcer)>>announce:
SystemAnnouncer>>announce:
SystemAnnouncer>>snapshotDone:
SessionManager>>snapshot:andQuit:
[0m

So it seems that OmSessionStore is not reset and holds a reference to a the windows path which it tries to create.

Cheers,
Andrei

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

nacho
Yesterday I had exactly the same problem. Worked with an image in Windows during the morning and in the evening tried to open it on my mac with no success.
The error I had was indeed a path problem. The image was trying to resolve a path in windows.
I eventually got the image running but with limited usage. I couldn't open the playground.
I ran some test -especially onf FileSystem and saw that a lot of them not passed.
So had to re-build the image I was working on from latest.
Now I'm opening that image in a Windows machine with no problems so far...let's see what happens in the evening.
Cheers
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

Andrei Chis
Any hints about how to handle Freetype fonts?
Right now I'm getting also some segmentation faults when opening on mac an image saved on windows, that seem related to Freetype fonts.

crash.dmp (12K) Download Attachment

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

philippeback
I'd say that one should clear all fonts being loaded, refresh the list of available fonts because they are on another location (and this should happen even moving from windows to windows), and switch back to a default font that is sure to be available.

I got an issue with the "hack" font because the new version changed the file names of the fonts and the system died.

That should already solve some problems.

Phil

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hannes Hirzel
What about loading some TTF fonts into the image?

--Hannes

> I'd say that one should clear all fonts being loaded, refresh the list of
> available fonts because they are on another location (and this should
> happen even moving from windows to windows), and switch back to a default
> font that is sure to be available.
>
> I got an issue with the "hack" font because the new version changed the
> file names of the fonts and the system died.
>
> That should already solve some problems.
>
> Phil
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Any hints about how to handle Freetype fonts?
>> Right now I'm getting also some segmentation faults when opening on mac
>> an
>> image saved on windows, that seem related to Freetype fonts.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You will also face serious fun with Freetype fonts.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Andrei Chis
>>> <[hidden email]>

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

tinchodias
Hi Andrei,

Could you tell me what's your "EpMonitor current sessionStore baseLocator" ?

By default it's a FileLocator, but maybe you personalized it and setted a FileReference. FileLocators don't have a WindowsStore but FileReference do.

The OmSessionStore is part of Epicea, and has a startUp: that executes the #ensureCreateDirectory. Well, maybe it shouldn't be done on start up but when a change happens... I should try this.

Martín

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
What about loading some TTF fonts into the image?

--Hannes

> I'd say that one should clear all fonts being loaded, refresh the list of
> available fonts because they are on another location (and this should
> happen even moving from windows to windows), and switch back to a default
> font that is sure to be available.
>
> I got an issue with the "hack" font because the new version changed the
> file names of the fonts and the system died.
>
> That should already solve some problems.
>
> Phil
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Any hints about how to handle Freetype fonts?
>> Right now I'm getting also some segmentation faults when opening on mac
>> an
>> image saved on windows, that seem related to Freetype fonts.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You will also face serious fun with Freetype fonts.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Andrei Chis
>>> <[hidden email]>

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

Andrei Chis
Hi Martin,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 6:14 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrei,

Could you tell me what's your "EpMonitor current sessionStore baseLocator" ?

It's 'a FileLocator {localDirectory}\ombu-sessions'

By default it's a FileLocator, but maybe you personalized it and setted a FileReference. FileLocators don't have a WindowsStore but FileReference do.

I started another thread 'OmSessionStore and SnapshotDone event' where I described the error better.

The OmSessionStore is part of Epicea, and has a startUp: that executes the #ensureCreateDirectory. Well, maybe it shouldn't be done on start up but when a change happens... I should try this.

The issue is that #ensureCreateDirectory is called before the file system is initialized. Even if a FileLocator is used for #baseLocator, #ensureCreateDirectory will need to resolve the file and access the file system.

Cheers,
Andrei

Denis Kudriashov

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

Andrei Chis
Loaded slice 19990 and the issues is still there with the latest image+vm.

Re: saving an image on windows and opening it on mac problems

Andrei Chis
Actually if I just execute before saving on Windows the following code I get no error when opening the image on Mac:

OmSessionStore allInstancesDo: [ :each |
SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance unsubscribe: each ].