saving projects (OLPC)

Randy Heiland
Using the OLPC etoys, when I save my project to 'Publish to different server' (by holding down the Keep Project icon for an extended time), does it save it to both my local hard disk AND some Squeak server, or just my local disk?

-Randy

p.s. THANKS for all those math functions in the 'palette of useful tiles'!

nitpick:  it would be nice to really be able to create a variable named 'x' (as opposed to having it renamed to 'x1')

Re: saving projects (OLPC)

Bert Freudenberg
On Aug 30, 2007, at 5:56 , Randy Heiland wrote:

> Using the OLPC etoys, when I save my project to 'Publish to
> different server' (by holding down the Keep Project icon for an
> extended time), does it save it to both my local hard disk AND some
> Squeak server, or just my local disk?

The project is always saved to you local "Squeaklets" folder, and
then copied to whatever location you choose in the dialog.

> -Randy
>
> p.s. THANKS for all those math functions in the 'palette of useful
> tiles'!
>
> nitpick:  it would be nice to really be able to create a variable
> named 'x' (as opposed to having it renamed to 'x1')

There already is a variable named 'x' for each object ...

- Bert -

Re: saving projects (OLPC)

Scott Wallace
Hi, Randy,

The reason you're not allowed to create a variable named "x" is
because all players already automatically have a system-defined
variable named x -- the horizontal cartesian coordinate.  So "Car's
x" would become ambiguous if Car, in addition to having its built-in,
system-defined variable named "x", could also define its own "x"
variable.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

On Aug 30, 2007, at 5:56 AM, Randy Heiland wrote:

> nitpick:  it would be nice to really be able to create a variable
> named 'x' (as opposed to having it renamed to 'x1')

Re: saving projects (OLPC)

John Kershaw
Why does the Mac version of Squeak save into ~/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak?

I would have thought a more logical location would be:

~/Documents/My Squeak

Student (and staff) would never find the former on their own!

John.

On 30 Aug 2007, at 13:56, Randy Heiland wrote:

Using the OLPC etoys, when I save my project to 'Publish to different server' (by holding down the Keep Project icon for an extended time), does it save it to both my local hard disk AND some Squeak server, or just my local disk?

-Randy

p.s. THANKS for all those math functions in the 'palette of useful tiles'!

nitpick:  it would be nice to really be able to create a variable named 'x' (as opposed to having it renamed to 'x1')

Re: saving projects (OLPC)

Bert Freudenberg
For historic reasons - when the main way to run Squeak was through
the browser plugin ...

But the installer should have placed an alias to that folder on your
desktop?

Besides, the latest version should actually use ~/Documents/
Squeakland as the default folder.

And, nowadays this can be changed by editing the info.plist file in
the VM bundle to any folder you want (the item key is
SqueakUnTrustedDirectory).

- Bert -

On Aug 31, 2007, at 0:20 , John Kershaw wrote:

> Why does the Mac version of Squeak save into ~/Library/Preferences/
> Squeak/Internet/My Squeak?
>
> I would have thought a more logical location would be:
>
> ~/Documents/My Squeak
>
> Student (and staff) would never find the former on their own!
>
> John.
>
> On 30 Aug 2007, at 13:56, Randy Heiland wrote:
>
>> Using the OLPC etoys, when I save my project to 'Publish to
>> different server' (by holding down the Keep Project icon for an
>> extended time), does it save it to both my local hard disk AND
>> some Squeak server, or just my local disk?
>>
>> -Randy
>>
>> p.s. THANKS for all those math functions in the 'palette of useful
>> tiles'!
>>
>> nitpick:  it would be nice to really be able to create a variable
>> named 'x' (as opposed to having it renamed to 'x1')

Re: saving projects (OLPC)

John Kershaw
I've just installed Squeakland on a brand new MacBook, which is to be
the master image for the rest of the MacBooks arriving later today.
Teaching starts tomorrow (supply hold-up!).

I downloaded the image from the Squeakland home page. It did indeed
create aliases to the application and the save folder (In Preferences/
blah/blah/blah). But that's no use to me - I installed it using the
admin account, but the students will run it from their own network
accounts.

Is the OLPC version ready for prime time? What's the correct download
URL?

John.