seaside 3.0, blog, book, link-checker and persistence

seaside 3.0, blog, book, link-checker and persistence

Nick
Hi,

I've turned my attention to merging the latest code in the add-ons, which resulted in some questions:

* Pier-Blog - easy merge, no conflicts
* Pier-Book - 9 conflicts - the merge didn't look straight-forward so I thought I'd leave it to someone with more intimate knowledge of the code and changes...
* Pier-LinkChecker - I couldn't find the trunk version of this package - I didn't spot it in pier or pieraddons repositories
* Pier-Pharo-Persistency - I couldn't find the trunk version. Is it a rename from Pier-Seaside-Persistency?
* Pier-Seaside-Persistency - I'm running under Pharo so I'll leave this to someone else.

In summary I only merged Pier-Blog

Re: seaside 3.0, blog, book, link-checker and persistence

Julian Fitzell-2
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've turned my attention to merging the latest code in the add-ons, which
> resulted in some questions:
> * Pier-Blog - easy merge, no conflicts
> * Pier-Book - 9 conflicts - the merge didn't look straight-forward so I
> thought I'd leave it to someone with more intimate knowledge of the code and
> changes...
> * Pier-LinkChecker - I couldn't find the trunk version of this package - I
> didn't spot it in pier or pieraddons repositories

Hi Nick,

I think I pulled that code out of some other package (security?).

> * Pier-Pharo-Persistency - I couldn't find the trunk version. Is it a rename
> from Pier-Seaside-Persistency?

I assume you mean Pier-Squeak-Persistency?

> * Pier-Seaside-Persistency - I'm running under Pharo so I'll leave this to
> someone else.

As above - it was renamed. If you look at the history for
Pier-Pharo-Persistency, you'll see the first version says:

--------------
Name: Pier-Pharo-Persistency-jf.1
Author: jf
Time: 3 November 2009, 11:22:49 am
UUID: f8aaec5e-e993-433c-9599-caf72beb50df
Ancestors:

Rename Pier-Squeak-Persistency to Pier-Pharo-Persistency

Re: seaside 3.0, blog, book, link-checker and persistence

Nick
Hi Julian,

I'm probably missing something, but with Pier-Squeak-Persistency being renamed to Pier-Pharo-Persistency in the pier2 repository, I don't seem to be able to get Monticello to provide me with useful merge information. Presumably Monticello can't work out a common ancestor. Am I missing something?

It's a little academic as I've worked out what's changed by comparing differences in versions in the 2.8 Pier trunk - there's a new method PRKernel>>exportOn which has been extracted from the body of PRExportImportWidget>>export. resulting in a trivial merge in PRExportImportWidget>>export.

I'm holding off in case I've missed something enabling a link to be made between the repositories again so that future merges won't be confused by my impending changes, though I'm probably being too pedantic and should just make the changes....

Nick

2010/1/11 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've turned my attention to merging the latest code in the add-ons, which
> resulted in some questions:
> * Pier-Blog - easy merge, no conflicts
> * Pier-Book - 9 conflicts - the merge didn't look straight-forward so I
> thought I'd leave it to someone with more intimate knowledge of the code and
> changes...
> * Pier-LinkChecker - I couldn't find the trunk version of this package - I
> didn't spot it in pier or pieraddons repositories

Hi Nick,

I think I pulled that code out of some other package (security?).

> * Pier-Pharo-Persistency - I couldn't find the trunk version. Is it a rename
> from Pier-Seaside-Persistency?

I assume you mean Pier-Squeak-Persistency?

> * Pier-Seaside-Persistency - I'm running under Pharo so I'll leave this to
> someone else.

As above - it was renamed. If you look at the history for
Pier-Pharo-Persistency, you'll see the first version says:

--------------
Name: Pier-Pharo-Persistency-jf.1

Re: seaside 3.0, blog, book, link-checker and persistence

Julian Fitzell-2
No, you're not being pedantic... we really would like to maintain that
history. But... we can't. :) MC's not quite up to the task
unfortunately.

In theory you could rename the class categories back, do the merge of
the old-named package, then rename them back *again* and commit the
new-named package. But I don't think it's worth the effort in this
case.

The other thing you could do is do the update in another image, making
sure the changes all go into a single ChangeSet. Then you could file
out the ChangeSet and apply it to your main image. That would at least
ensure that the methods had the same timestamps and author initials...
probably not a bad idea if it works easily enough.

Julian

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Julian,
> I'm probably missing something, but with Pier-Squeak-Persistency being
> renamed to Pier-Pharo-Persistency in the pier2 repository, I don't seem to
> be able to get Monticello to provide me with useful merge information.
> Presumably Monticello can't work out a common ancestor. Am I missing
> something?
>
> It's a little academic as I've worked out what's changed by comparing
> differences in versions in the 2.8 Pier trunk - there's a new
> method PRKernel>>exportOn which has been extracted from the body
> of PRExportImportWidget>>export. resulting in a trivial merge
> in PRExportImportWidget>>export.
> I'm holding off in case I've missed something enabling a link to be made
> between the repositories again so that future merges won't be confused by my
> impending changes, though I'm probably being too pedantic and should just
> make the changes....
> Nick
>
> 2010/1/11 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I've turned my attention to merging the latest code in the add-ons,
>> > which
>> > resulted in some questions:
>> > * Pier-Blog - easy merge, no conflicts
>> > * Pier-Book - 9 conflicts - the merge didn't look straight-forward so I
>> > thought I'd leave it to someone with more intimate knowledge of the code
>> > and
>> > changes...
>> > * Pier-LinkChecker - I couldn't find the trunk version of this package -
>> > didn't spot it in pier or pieraddons repositories
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> I think I pulled that code out of some other package (security?).
>>
>> > * Pier-Pharo-Persistency - I couldn't find the trunk version. Is it a
>> > rename
>> > from Pier-Seaside-Persistency?
>>
>> I assume you mean Pier-Squeak-Persistency?
>>
>> > * Pier-Seaside-Persistency - I'm running under Pharo so I'll leave this
>> > someone else.
>>
>> As above - it was renamed. If you look at the history for
>> Pier-Pharo-Persistency, you'll see the first version says:
>>
>> --------------
>> Name: Pier-Pharo-Persistency-jf.1
>> Author: jf
>> Time: 3 November 2009, 11:22:49 am
>> UUID: f8aaec5e-e993-433c-9599-caf72beb50df
>> Ancestors:
>>
>> Rename Pier-Squeak-Persistency to Pier-Pharo-Persistency

Re: seaside 3.0, blog, book, link-checker and persistence

Nick
The other thing you could do is do the update in another image, making
sure the changes all go into a single ChangeSet. Then you could file
out the ChangeSet and apply it to your main image. That would at least
ensure that the methods had the same timestamps and author initials...
probably not a bad idea if it works easily enough.

OK merged with ChangeSet and committed to the repository.