seaside front-end testing tool pharo4.0

YannLesage
Hello,

I work for Synectique. We are trying to test telescope and all front end of our website. We have started to write tests in js on client-side with mocha on DOM(number of element, element visibility or css change...)

We want to automate our tests with Jenkins and optionally launch this test from  the Pharo image. We have planed to make this with mocha, xml reporter and take syntaxe from TestCase class.

To avoid to reinvent the wheel, we have searched for existants solutions and found :
- SeasideTesting -> don't load in Pharo 4.0
- Albatros : we have found the repo but the last version dates from 2010 and is based on squeak.

So is there someone who test front-end in pharo4.0 with seaside and how ?
Is There an existants and functional project ?

Thanks for  your answers
Yann Lesage

Re: seaside front-end testing tool pharo4.0

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Yann,

Use webdriver (selenium) testing with Parasol: http://www.slideshare.net/esug/4-beach-parasol-presentation

SeasideTesting is dead (I stopped maintaining it since we use Parasol).

cheers
Johan

On 23 Sep 2016, at 12:16, lesage yann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Johan,

Thank for you reply,

I have read yours links. It's interesting but to test cytoscape we need an access to javascript variable. I think used js.executeScript is not really good solution for that (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13994393/reading-javascript-variables-using-selenium-webdriver).

So we'll write our project with Pharo/ Mocka/ Seaside.

Have a nice day.

Yann Lesage

[...]

Bob Nemec
We're trying to use iMacros for testing. Selecting widgets and navigating is working well, since they can use relative position (handy when the component id is different each time).

Problem is that when entering content into a text field the 'oninput' javascript event is not being triggered. We depend on that. I have an open ticket with the vendor. They've sent some suggestions, but no luck so far. Surprising, you'd think that would be a basic event trigger.

If the oninput worked iMacros looks like it would be a useful tool for testing a Seaside app.

Bob Nemec
HTS

Bob Nemec

Re: seaside front-end testing tool pharo4.0

Johan Brichau-2
Yann,

I think Mocha and Selenium (Parasol) are two different kind of testing frameworks.

Selenium is about browser automation and Parasol allows to write browser application tests with it from within your Smalltalk backend’s unit testing framework. The abstraction level is actions a user can do via the UI.
Mocha is a unit testing framework for javascript applications. The abstraction level is the javascript API of your implementation modules.

I’m not sure I understand what you are looking for because SeasideTesting and Albatros were even less about browser-based testing. SeasideTesting was just testing the html output of Seaside, for example.
If Seaside is part of your solution stack and you want to write tests that simulate user actions on the webpage, Parasol is the way to do it from your Smalltalk backend.

cheers
Johan

On 23 Sep 2016, at 14:07, lesage yann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob,

thank for your anwer.

Johan,

In some case, we just to test user interaction but we want to test our js script more deeply (time excution, if error come of model (server side) or of script ...). I have understund :
- selenium + parasol is a good to user interaction test
- mocha stay the solution to test our script JS and theirs dom modifications.

So I think i have answers for my questions.

realy thank for you two :D