seaside on dreamhost

redblue last
Hi.

Has anyone tried to run seaside on a DreamHost shared account ? What
would be the steps to do so ?

Re: seaside on dreamhost

Philippe Marschall
2006/7/29, redblue last <[hidden email]>:
> Hi.
>
> Has anyone tried to run seaside on a DreamHost shared account ? What
> would be the steps to do so ?

No, but are you aware of http://www.seasidehosting.st/. Free seaside
hosting of non-commercial applications.

Philippe

Re: seaside on dreamhost

redblue last
> No, but are you aware of http://www.seasidehosting.st/. Free seaside
> hosting of non-commercial applications.

Yes, but I'm interested in commercial applications involving a
database. Also could Goods be run on dreamhost ?

Re: Re: seaside on dreamhost

Benjamin Pollack
On 7/29/06, redblue last <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, but I'm interested in commercial applications involving a
> database. Also could Goods be run on dreamhost ?

The short answer to your question is that Dreamhost's normal plans do
not allow you to run private servers on their systems, so you would be
able to run neither GOODS nor Seaside. You'd really have to purchase a
virtual or dedicated server if that's the route you wished to pursue
with them. I would still encourage you to ask Dreamhost themselves in
their forums at http://discussion.dreamhost.com/. They're fairly
responsive, and if enough people ask, they will notice Seaside. They
may also give you a personal exemption, which I've heard they do from
time to time.

--Benjamin

Re: Re: seaside on dreamhost

redblue last
> I would still encourage you to ask Dreamhost themselves in
> their forums at http://discussion.dreamhost.com/. They're fairly
> responsive, and if enough people ask, they will notice Seaside. They
> may also give you a personal exemption, which I've heard they do from
> time to time.

Thanks, I will ask them and post it here.

Re: Re: seaside on dreamhost

redblue last
from dreamhost staff:

Hello,

Unfortunately there are no plans to make these available on our servers
at this time.

Thanks!

Re: seaside on dreamhost

German Arduino-2
redblue last wrote:
> from dreamhost staff:
>
> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately there are no plans to make these available on our servers
> at this time.
>
> Thanks!
This is an ever present problem to deploy Squeak web applications.

I've solved buying / selling virtual servers, but trying to setup Sqeuak
in a shared hosting common server isn't a problem. Really would be nice
that hosting providers offer Squeak as they offer Perl, Python, ASP, etc.

Cheers.