seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

patmaddox
Hi, I don't know how many people have successfully run seaside on pharo 1.4 or even tried to, and I've not seen it documented anywhere. I have it running and while many of the unit tests don't pass :(  I can start up a zinc server and click through the example apps and some of my own apps fine. I've attached the .mcz file which excludes Comanche, Swazoo, and OmniBrowser from the default install group (OB is only used for the server manager I think, which is not very important, and I'm using nautilus on 1.4).

I understand that this patch might break earlier stuff so with any luck Dale will be able to give me some tips on how to make it more compatible.

Anyway, load up the mcz and then
ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project latestVersion load: #('default' 'Zinc-Seaside')

and to run a server
ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8282

and you should be set.

note: I *just* got this "working" and it seems to work fine with my apps so far, but no promises that everything will go smoothly.

Pat

ConfigurationOfSeaside30-PatMaddox.354.mcz (164K) Download Attachment

Re: seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Pat,

On 02 Mar 2012, at 03:22, Pat Maddox wrote:

> Hi, I don't know how many people have successfully run seaside on pharo 1.4 or even tried to, and I've not seen it documented anywhere. I have it running and while many of the unit tests don't pass :(  I can start up a zinc server and click through the example apps and some of my own apps fine. I've attached the .mcz file which excludes Comanche, Swazoo, and OmniBrowser from the default install group (OB is only used for the server manager I think, which is not very important, and I'm using nautilus on 1.4).
>
> I understand that this patch might break earlier stuff so with any luck Dale will be able to give me some tips on how to make it more compatible.
>
> Anyway, load up the mcz and then
> ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project latestVersion load: #('default' 'Zinc-Seaside')
>
> and to run a server
> ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8282
>
> and you should be set.
>
> note: I *just* got this "working" and it seems to work fine with my apps so far, but no promises that everything will go smoothly.
>
> Pat
>

> <ConfigurationOfSeaside30-PatMaddox.354.mcz>
I am assuming you did something with the ConfigurationOfSeaside30, maybe others can comment on that part.

But the combination Seaside on Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 using Zinc has been working for some time (for 1.4) and for more than a year (for 1.3). Including passing tests.

See for example

        http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/
        http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0%20(Metacello)/
        http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.1/

and of course

        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Seaside%20Pharo%201.3/
        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Seaside%20Pharo%201.4/

All these build on Pharo and include variants with ZnZincServerAdaptor.

Building these yourself can sometimes be a bit of an adventure, but the above will certainly help.

Regards,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Seaside] seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

Dale Henrichs
Pat,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the changes ... but it looks like you've excluded the load of Kom? the changes with tthe OmniBrowser and Swazoo groups probably don't affect what is loaded with your load expression, but removing 'Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche'  and the tests definitely does so presumably that was the important piece to get working for Pharo 1.4 ...

I have been trying to follow the wishes of Lukas, Philippe and Julian when it comes to defining the default behavior of the metacello configuration for seaside, but since it appears that none of the maintainers of seaside actually uses metacello there is tension between what they have told be to do and what is practical ...

The point of metacello goes something like this:

  developer gets project working on Pharo1.4 and records what works in metacello configuration

that way when a user of the project wants to load the project in Pharo1.4, they don't have to do anything but load the configuration ...

When a developer answers a question about why something doesn't work on Pharo1.4 with something along the lines of:

  - do xyz
  - I don't use w anymore, try q

The there is a clear indication that the relevant information has not been recorded in the configuration ...

I periodically visit the seaside project (usually around the time that I'm preparing to do Seaside work in GemStone) and pull in information that I can glean from the mcz files lying around in the various repositories and reconstruct what I think the seaside developers have in mind ... I then load the configuration of a variety of platforms (pharo1.0, squeak, etc.) and if the tests pass, I say my work is done ...

There has been continuous problems with OmniBrowser across multiple platforms (another example of a project where the maintainer doesn't use metacello) and that has caused problems in Seaside, because the seaside maintainers insist that OB be included in the core ... so I disagree with their decision, but it is their decision ...

There's only so much I can do...

Dale

| Hi, I don't know how many people have successfully run seaside on
| pharo 1.4 or even tried to, and I've not seen it documented
| anywhere. I have it running and while many of the unit tests don't
| pass :(  I can start up a zinc server and click through the example
| apps and some of my own apps fine. I've attached the .mcz file which
| excludes Comanche, Swazoo, and OmniBrowser from the default install
| group (OB is only used for the server manager I think, which is not
| very important, and I'm using nautilus on 1.4).
|
| I understand that this patch might break earlier stuff so with any
| luck Dale will be able to give me some tips on how to make it more
| compatible.
|
| Anyway, load up the mcz and then
| ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project latestVersion load: #('default'
| 'Zinc-Seaside')
|
| and to run a server
| ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8282
|
| and you should be set.
|
| note: I *just* got this "working" and it seems to work fine with my
| apps so far, but no promises that everything will go smoothly.
|
| Pat

Re: [Seaside] seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

Lukas Renggli
> There has been continuous problems with OmniBrowser across multiple platforms (another example of a project where the maintainer doesn't use metacello) and that has caused problems in Seaside, because the seaside maintainers insist that OB be included in the core ... so I disagree with their decision, but it is their decision ...

Uhh? No! Nothing in Seaside depends on OB.

We like OB and we use it in our development images. This is all.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Seaside] seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

Dale Henrichs
If you want to discuss configuration issues, I am all ears...

Dale

| > There has been continuous problems with OmniBrowser across multiple
| > platforms (another example of a project where the maintainer
| > doesn't use metacello) and that has caused problems in Seaside,
| > because the seaside maintainers insist that OB be included in the
| > core ... so I disagree with their decision, but it is their
| > decision ...
|
| Uhh? No! Nothing in Seaside depends on OB.
|
| We like OB and we use it in our development images. This is all.
|
| Lukas
|
| --
| Lukas Renggli
| www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Seaside] seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

Dale Henrichs
If you have questions about metacello, I am willing to answer them...

Dale

On 06 Mar 2012, at 08:43, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2012/3/5 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>>> There has been continuous problems with OmniBrowser across multiple platforms (another example of a project where the maintainer doesn't use metacello) and that has caused problems in Seaside, because the seaside maintainers insist that OB be included in the core ... so I disagree with their decision, but it is their decision ...
>>
>> Uhh? No! Nothing in Seaside depends on OB.
>>
>> We like OB and we use it in our development images. This is all.
>
> Yes, but we don't use Metacello to build them.
>
> I'm cool with switching the default adaptor to Zinc if that makes life easier.
This is a configuration issue.

From my point of view, as author of Zn, I can only say that I am very happy with the collaboration and openness of the Seaside developers to adopt Zn. They tried and used Zn as soon as it became available, it was included in builds and distributions, and there are enough abstraction in place to let people use whatever server they want.

What should be the default is not for me to say, although it would make some sense on certain Pharo builds.

Sven

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Seaside] seaside on pharo 1.4 w/ zinc (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 mcz attached)

Dale Henrichs
Philippe,

Wouldn't it be more correct to say "we don't use Metacello"?

Dale

On 06 Mar 2012, at 16:58, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Wouldn't it be more correct to say "we don't use Metacello"?

There are both build like this:

http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/

as well as

http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0%20(Metacello)/