seaside with squeak 4.5?

LawsonEnglish
What is the preferred way of using the latest version of Seaside with
the latest version of Squeak?

I can't find any working links that point to such an implementation.

http://squeak.org/seaside no longer exists, for example...

Lawson

--
Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian Kernighan

Re: seaside with squeak 4.5?

sebastien audier
http://pharo.org/

You can consider this as a joke. But not completely. ;)

What is the preferred way of using the latest version of Seaside with the latest version of Squeak?

I can't find any working links that point to such an implementation.

http://squeak.org/seaside no longer exists, for example...

Lawson

--
Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian Kernighan

Sébastien AUDIER

Re: [squeak-dev] seaside with squeak 4.5?

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 05:12:11PM -0700, Lawson English wrote:
> What is the preferred way of using the latest version of Seaside with
> the latest version of Squeak?
>
> I can't find any working links that point to such an implementation.
>
> http://squeak.org/seaside no longer exists, for example...
>
> Lawson

Good question, this should not be left undocumented.

Chris C, were you going to set up a new page for this to replace the dead
link that still points at our old squeak.org page?

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] seaside with squeak 4.5?

Johan Brichau-2

> On 13 Dec 2014, at 01:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 05:12:11PM -0700, Lawson English wrote:
>> What is the preferred way of using the latest version of Seaside with
>> the latest version of Squeak?
>>
>> I can't find any working links that point to such an implementation.
>>
>> http://squeak.org/seaside no longer exists, for example...
>>
>> Lawson
>>

> Good question, this should not be left undocumented.
>
> Chris C, were you going to set up a new page for this to replace the dead
> link that still points at our old squeak.org page?

Actually, we specifically changed this reference over a month a go to this link because we were told that this was where the new Seaside on Squeak download was going to come.
I guess we were too fast :)

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Johan

Re: seaside with squeak 4.5?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Sorry for not having updated the MetaRepo for too long.

Installer squeaksource
        project: 'MetacelloRepository';
        install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) load.

That gets you the default packages. You'll want to
add some more groups. You can find them in
ConfigurationOfSeaside3

Re: seaside with squeak 4.5?

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 01:05:48PM +0100, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> Sorry for not having updated the MetaRepo for too long.
>
> Installer squeaksource
> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
> install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) load.
>
> That gets you the default packages. You'll want to
> add some more groups. You can find them in
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3

I just loaded this into my working image, which is fully up to date with
Squeak trunk, and also happens to be a 64 bit image on a 64 bit VM with
a reimplemented Chronology package and lots of other stuff in it. It loaded
with no problems at all.

Dave

Re: seaside with squeak 4.5?

Stephan Eggermont-3
David wrote:
>I just loaded this into my working image, which is fully up to date with
>Squeak trunk, and also happens to be a 64 bit image on a 64 bit VM with
>a reimplemented Chronology package and lots of other stuff in it. It loaded
>with no problems at all.

That's good to hear. Then we didn't break too much :) I'm looking forward
to the 64-bit support, for both the better integration with 64-bit OS and applications
and the support for a larger image.

I took a look at what is actually loaded, and that is a very limited group.
You probably also want an adapter (Swazoo/Webclient) and development support.

Stephan _______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: seaside with squeak 4.5?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:18:31PM +0100, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> David wrote:
> >I just loaded this into my working image, which is fully up to date with
> >Squeak trunk, and also happens to be a 64 bit image on a 64 bit VM with
> >a reimplemented Chronology package and lots of other stuff in it. It loaded
> >with no problems at all.
>
> That's good to hear. Then we didn't break too much :) I'm looking forward
> to the 64-bit support, for both the better integration with 64-bit OS and applications
> and the support for a larger image.

As far as I can tell, you didn't break anything at all :-) I didn't really
test anything, just loaded it into my image. But I saw no indication of
any problems.

<OT>
The more interesting 64-bit support is coming from Eliot's new 64-bit Spur
image. That will provide some considerable performance advantages, and much
better memory management for large images. I expect that this will make it
practical to use very large in-memory Smalltalk images without performance
penalty. The image that I'm running is the Dan Ingalls/Ian Piumarta image
format, which was intentionally kept very simple and close to the 32-bit
Squeak image format. It works very well and allows use of very large images,
but for practical applications I think that the new object memory in Spur
will be essential.

Keep an eye on the squeak-dev and vm-dev lists if interested, Eliot is making
rapid progress on 64-bit Spur.
</OT>