seaside3

NorbertHartl
I'm trying to build a seaside3.0 image without much success. Loading at once exceeds temporary memory. Loading beta.8 from topaz only gave my beta.4. I know this is hardly possible. But I try to bootstrap directly to beta.8 and logging in from the gemtools client should up beta.4. Topaz gave me an oops number after finished atomic loading which let me to think it has been loaded correctly.

topaz 1> doit
ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion
   load: #('Seaside 3.0' 'Seaside 3.0 Tests' 'Magritte2 Tests' 'Pier2 Tests'
           'Pier2 AddOns').
%
--transcript--'Project: Magritte2 Tests'
--transcript--'Loaded -> ConfigurationOfMagritte2 <-'
--transcript--'Loading project version: ~2.0.2 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]'
GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number
2318 in the current language.
Error Category: [User] Number: 2318 Arg Count: 3
Arg 1: genericError
Arg 2: nil
Arg 3: an Array

Is there a specific version I should try. I tried on 2.3 and 2.4 but I would like to load these in 2.4 to get the complete alpha picture :)

Norbert

Re: seaside3

SeanTAllen
Norbert,

If you are ok with using beta.6, I have a full set of instructions for
building your own appliance for seaside 3 that you
could extract information from in order to get running.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to build a seaside3.0 image without much success. Loading at once exceeds temporary memory. Loading beta.8 from topaz only gave my beta.4. I know this is hardly possible. But I try to bootstrap directly to beta.8 and logging in from the gemtools client should up beta.4. Topaz gave me an oops number after finished atomic loading which let me to think it has been loaded correctly.

> topaz 1> doit
> ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion
>   load: #('Seaside 3.0' 'Seaside 3.0 Tests' 'Magritte2 Tests' 'Pier2 Tests'
>           'Pier2 AddOns').
> %
> --transcript--'Project: Magritte2 Tests'
> --transcript--'Loaded -> ConfigurationOfMagritte2 <-'
> --transcript--'Loading project version: ~2.0.2 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]'
> GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
> The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number
> 2318 in the current language.
> Error Category: [User] Number: 2318 Arg Count: 3
> Arg 1: genericError
> Arg 2: nil
> Arg 3: an Array
>
> Is there a specific version I should try. I tried on 2.3 and 2.4 but I would like to load these in 2.4 to get the complete alpha picture :)
>
> Norbert

Re: seaside3

NorbertHartl
Sean,

thanks for helping. But I'm not heading for seaside3 only. I want to have pier2 running. And therefor I guess I have to use to newest stuff. Loading seaside3 isn't that hard. After bootstrapping an image you can use the gemtools client to update glass to beta.7. From there

ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project latestVersion load

works. I didn't test any components so I can't say how good it is but loading works.

Norbert

On 03.03.2010, at 22:25, Sean Allen wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> If you are ok with using beta.6, I have a full set of instructions for
> building your own appliance for seaside 3 that you
> could extract information from in order to get running.
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm trying to build a seaside3.0 image without much success. Loading at once exceeds temporary memory. Loading beta.8 from topaz only gave my beta.4. I know this is hardly possible. But I try to bootstrap directly to beta.8 and logging in from the gemtools client should up beta.4. Topaz gave me an oops number after finished atomic loading which let me to think it has been loaded correctly.

>> topaz 1> doit
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion
>>   load: #('Seaside 3.0' 'Seaside 3.0 Tests' 'Magritte2 Tests' 'Pier2 Tests'
>>           'Pier2 AddOns').
>> %
>> --transcript--'Project: Magritte2 Tests'
>> --transcript--'Loaded -> ConfigurationOfMagritte2 <-'
>> --transcript--'Loading project version: ~2.0.2 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]'
>> GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
>> The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number
>> 2318 in the current language.
>> Error Category: [User] Number: 2318 Arg Count: 3
>> Arg 1: genericError
>> Arg 2: nil
>> Arg 3: an Array
>>
>> Is there a specific version I should try. I tried on 2.3 and 2.4 but I would like to load these in 2.4 to get the complete alpha picture :)
>>
>> Norbert

Re: seaside3

Dale
----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I'm trying to build a seaside3.0 image without much success. Loading
| at once exceeds temporary memory. Loading beta.8 from topaz only gave
| my beta.4. I know this is hardly possible. But I try to bootstrap
| directly to beta.8 and logging in from the gemtools client should up
| beta.4. Topaz gave me an oops number after finished atomic loading
| which let me to think it has been loaded correctly.

I would be suspicious that a commit was missing after 1.0-beta.8 was loaded. 1.0-beta.4 is the version that you get from the initial bootstrap.

| topaz 1> doit
| ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion
|    load: #('Seaside 3.0' 'Seaside 3.0 Tests' 'Magritte2 Tests' 'Pier2
| Tests'
|            'Pier2 AddOns').
| %
| --transcript--'Project: Magritte2 Tests'
| --transcript--'Loaded -> ConfigurationOfMagritte2 <-'
| --transcript--'Loading project version: ~2.0.2
| [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]'
| -----------------------------------------------------
| GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
| The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error
| number
| 2318 in the current language.
| Error Category: [User] Number: 2318 Arg Count: 3
| Arg 1: genericError
| Arg 2: nil
| Arg 3: an Array

I would need to see more of the stack ... you can type 'stack' at the topaz prompt after an error to get a stack dump.

| Is there a specific version I should try. I tried on 2.3 and 2.4 but I
| would like to load these in 2.4 to get the complete alpha picture :)

If you want to run Seaside 3.0, then you need to use 2.4 so you get full partial continuation support.

Dale

Re: seaside3

NorbertHartl
Dale,

On 03.03.2010, at 23:21, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | I'm trying to build a seaside3.0 image without much success. Loading
> | at once exceeds temporary memory. Loading beta.8 from topaz only gave
> | my beta.4. I know this is hardly possible. But I try to bootstrap
> | directly to beta.8 and logging in from the gemtools client should up
> | beta.4. Topaz gave me an oops number after finished atomic loading
> | which let me to think it has been loaded correctly.
>
> I would be suspicious that a commit was missing after 1.0-beta.8 was loaded. 1.0-beta.4 is the version that you get from the initial bootstrap.

You are right but that is really strange. I asked my intuition yesterday and it told me to write commit on the topaz commandline. In my case it didn't change anything. But today it worked.

I did

- copydbf new extent
- bootstrapped beta.4
- ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject
- (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8') load: 'Dev'
- commit

Now if I login from the gemtools client I get a beta.8 workspace.

> | topaz 1> doit
> | ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion
> |    load: #('Seaside 3.0' 'Seaside 3.0 Tests' 'Magritte2 Tests' 'Pier2
> | Tests'
> |            'Pier2 AddOns').
> | %
> | --transcript--'Project: Magritte2 Tests'
> | --transcript--'Loaded -> ConfigurationOfMagritte2 <-'
> | --transcript--'Loading project version: ~2.0.2
> | [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]'
> | -----------------------------------------------------
> | GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
> | The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error
> | number
> | 2318 in the current language.
> | Error Category: [User] Number: 2318 Arg Count: 3
> | Arg 1: genericError
> | Arg 2: nil
> | Arg 3: an Array
>
> I would need to see more of the stack ... you can type 'stack' at the topaz prompt after an error to get a stack dump.

I tried

(ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8') load: 'Seaside3.0 Dev'

The result and stack you can take from attachment glass-seaside3-stack.txt.

> | Is there a specific version I should try. I tried on 2.3 and 2.4 but I
> | would like to load these in 2.4 to get the complete alpha picture :)
>
> If you want to run Seaside 3.0, then you need to use 2.4 so you get full partial continuation support.

I'm glad I tried to right thing :)

After the ConfigurationOfGLASS loading I tested

ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project latestVersion load
(followed by commit for safety)

First it failed. While providing a stack trace for you I got a glimpse of suspect line. I found a "can't find EOCD position". I know this problem and it is really annoying. If the download of mcz files does not succeed you get this and it is possible that the zip file is stored corrupt on disk so further trials will also fail. This needs to be changed.

Anyway I retried then and it succeeded. Login into with gemtools showed a new workspace with the help lines how to start fast cgi adaptor and such.

Next Pier2. Trying to load DaleHenrichs.15 had load errors in version2003. DaleHenrichs.14 loaded fine. I tried to load Magritte2 (loading the newest from squeaksource) first with

ConfigurationOfMagritte2 project latestVersion load

and got the stack in attachment magritte2-stack.txt

ConfigurationOfPier2 project latestVersion load

gave the stack in pier2-stack.txt

I hope this helps you finding anything. If I shall try anything just let me know. we just need to bridge the atlantic time gap ;)

Norbert

glass-seaside3-stack.txt (27K) Download Attachment
magritt2-stack.txt (81K) Download Attachment
pier2-stack.txt (43K) Download Attachment

Re: seaside3

Dale

----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Dale,
|

| On 03.03.2010, at 23:21, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | I'm trying to build a seaside3.0 image without much success.
| > | at once exceeds temporary memory. Loading beta.8 from topaz only
| gave
| > | my beta.4. I know this is hardly possible. But I try to bootstrap
| > | directly to beta.8 and logging in from the gemtools client should
| up
| > | beta.4. Topaz gave me an oops number after finished atomic
| > | which let me to think it has been loaded correctly.
| >
| > I would be suspicious that a commit was missing after 1.0-beta.8 was
| loaded. 1.0-beta.4 is the version that you get from the initial
| bootstrap.
| >
| You are right but that is really strange. I asked my intuition
| yesterday and it told me to write commit on the topaz commandline. In
| my case it didn't change anything. But today it worked.
|
| I did
|
| - copydbf new extent
| - bootstrapped beta.4
| - ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject
| - (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8') load: 'Dev'
| - commit
|
| Now if I login from the gemtools client I get a beta.8 workspace.

| > |
| > |
| > | topaz 1> doit
| > | ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion
| > |    load: #('Seaside 3.0' 'Seaside 3.0 Tests' 'Magritte2 Tests'
| 'Pier2
| > | Tests'
| > |            'Pier2 AddOns').
| > | %
| > | --transcript--'Project: Magritte2 Tests'
| > | --transcript--'Loaded -> ConfigurationOfMagritte2 <-'
| > | --transcript--'Loading project version: ~2.0.2
| > | [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]'
| > | -----------------------------------------------------
| > | GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
| > | The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error
| > | number
| > | 2318 in the current language.
| > | Error Category: [User] Number: 2318 Arg Count: 3
| > | Arg 1: genericError
| > | Arg 2: nil
| > | Arg 3: an Array
| >
| > I would need to see more of the stack ... you can type 'stack' at
| the topaz prompt after an error to get a stack dump.
| >
| I tried
|
| (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8') load: 'Seaside3.0
| Dev'
|
| The result and stack you can take from attachment
| glass-seaside3-stack.txt.

Two things.
  1) 1.0-beta.8 is still under development so things are changing
  2) I _have_ changed how you load things for 1.0-beta.8

I decided that it doesn't make sense to have absolutely everything managed through ConfigurationOfGLASS. Starting with 1.0-beta.8 ConfigurationOfGLASS is managing the GLASS Core code. All other projects should be loaded using the appropriate configuration for that project.

The upshot is that I've removed a number of groupd like 'Seaside3.0 Dev' from the GLASS configuration.

For Seaside (both 2.8 and 3.0) you should use ConfigurationOfSeaside (or the individual configurations as you've done...).

When I release 1.0-beta.8, I will write a blog post with more detail.

| > |
| > | Is there a specific version I should try. I tried on 2.3 and 2.4
| but I
| > | would like to load these in 2.4 to get the complete alpha picture
| :)
| >
| > If you want to run Seaside 3.0, then you need to use 2.4 so you get
| full partial continuation support.
| >
| I'm glad I tried to right thing :)
|
| After the ConfigurationOfGLASS loading I tested
|
| ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project latestVersion load
| (followed by commit for safety)
|
| First it failed. While providing a stack trace for you I got a glimpse
| of suspect line. I found a "can't find EOCD position". I know this
| problem and it is really annoying. If the download of mcz files does
| not succeed you get this and it is possible that the zip file is
| stored corrupt on disk so further trials will also fail. This needs to
| be changed.

I plan to address the failing HTTP downloads today ... the basic idea will be to make a preload pass through the Metacello configurations and download all of the mcz files first ... using retries and "alternate repositories" as necessary. Once all of the mcz files have been downloaded the files will be loaded, which should make things run a little bit smoother.

| Anyway I retried then and it succeeded. Login into with gemtools
| showed a new workspace with the help lines how to start fast cgi
| adaptor and such.
|
| Next Pier2. Trying to load DaleHenrichs.15 had load errors in
| version2003. DaleHenrichs.14 loaded fine. I tried to load Magritte2
|
| ConfigurationOfMagritte2 project latestVersion load
|
| and got the stack in attachment magritte2-stack.txt

| ConfigurationOfPier2 project latestVersion load
|
| gave the stack in pier2-stack.txt

As for Magritte2 and Pier2. I have not ported them to GemStone yet. The errors that you're getting when trying to load ConfigurationOfMagritte2 can be cleaned up, but at this point in time nothing will be loaded, because the port hasn't been done ...

Thanks,

Dale