seasidehosting.st - which seaside versions work?

seasidehosting.st - which seaside versions work?

Thomas Froeb
Hi,

I'm using Seaside2.6a3-lr.22 and wanted to host a Pier-Wiki, but I get
only an error when I start the image and want to access the application:

  Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request /GET /seaside/config
<http://gung.seasidehosting.st/seaside/config>/.

Reason: *Error reading from remote server
*

*
*

The image from seaside.st works fine.

I looked than at:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-February/006928.html
Do I really have to downgrade to Seaside 2.5?
But the current version of pier seems only to run with Seaside 2.6?
What should I do?

Thanks, Thomas

Re: seasidehosting.st - which seaside versions work?

Lukas Renggli
Hi Thomas,

> I'm using Seaside2.6a3-lr.22 and wanted to host a Pier-Wiki, but I get
> only an error when I start the image and want to access the application:

all versions of Seaside 2 going back to 2002 should work, more
precisely all versions that are started using "WAKom startOn:
aNumber".

>   Proxy Error
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request /GET /seaside/config
> <http://gung.seasidehosting.st/seaside/config>/.
>
> Reason: *Error reading from remote server

There seems to be a problem with your image, very likely the server
cannot be started by our start-up script. The following problems are
known to be trouble causers:

- The Kom-Server and/or Seaside is not properly installed. Does your
application work, if you test your image locally?

- There is an error in the start-up sequence of your image, causing a
debugger to pop up and to block the remaining start-up tasks (the
server is usually started last). Have you checked SqueakDebug.log on
the server?

> Do I really have to downgrade to Seaside 2.5?
> But the current version of pier seems only to run with Seaside 2.6?
> What should I do?

No, Pier doesn't work with older versions of Seaside, moreover several
people are successfully running Pier on seasidehosting.st so there
should be another solution.

If the above problem persist please ask again, and I will check on the server.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: seasidehosting.st - which seaside versions work?

Yanni Chiu
Thomas Froeb wrote:
> I looked than at:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-February/006928.html
>
> Do I really have to downgrade to Seaside 2.5?

You do not need to downgrade to 2.5, and I don't think the
message says that you need to. It says the opposite, you need
to upgrade to 2.6 if you want to be able to set the default
(i.e. http://foo.seasidehosting.st instead of
http://foo.seasidehosting.st/seaside/myapp).

Re: Re: seasidehosting.st - which seaside versions work?

Lukas Renggli
> > I looked than at:
> > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-February/006928.html
> >
> > Do I really have to downgrade to Seaside 2.5?
>
> You do not need to downgrade to 2.5, and I don't think the
> message says that you need to. It says the opposite, you need
> to upgrade to 2.6 if you want to be able to set the default
> (i.e. http://foo.seasidehosting.st instead of
> http://foo.seasidehosting.st/seaside/myapp).

Yes, that particular feature only works in 2.6, but I guess that is
not the problem the original poster asked about.

Just as a side-node: there is "bug" in all Seaside versions, that
prevents properly running Pier (and probably other applications that
use custom URLs). The problem is that there is no clear distinction
between Application>>basePath and how the application is nested within
WADispatcher. The problem could be solved, if the application would
have parent information to its WADispatcher's, so that Pier (or any
other application) could properly decide what part belongs to Seaside
and what parts are customized.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> There seems to be a problem with your image, very likely the server
> cannot be started by our start-up script.
> - There is an error in the start-up sequence of your image, causing a
> debugger to pop up and to block the remaining start-up tasks (the
> server is usually started last). Have you checked SqueakDebug.log on
> the server?

Just in case it's not clear how to test the startup script,
you need to ftp to your subdomain at seasidehosting.st.
You should find a SqueakStartup.st file there, and download it.
Look at the startup script, and note the WAKom port number.
Start your image with something like:
     squeak.exe your.image SqueakStartup.st

I've not tried this myself, but I think it should work.

Lukas Renggli schrieb:

> Hi Thomas,
>

>>   Proxy Error
>>
>> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
>> The proxy server could not handle the request /GET /seaside/config
>> <http://gung.seasidehosting.st/seaside/config>/.
>>
>> Reason: *Error reading from remote server
>>

> There seems to be a problem with your image, very likely the server
> cannot be started by our start-up script. The following problems are
> known to be trouble causers:
>
> - The Kom-Server and/or Seaside is not properly installed. Does your
> application work, if you test your image locally?

Everything works perfectly on my local machine
> - There is an error in the start-up sequence of your image, causing a
> debugger to pop up and to block the remaining start-up tasks (the
> server is usually started last). Have you checked SqueakDebug.log on
> the server?

the SqueakDebug.log seems to be empty on the server

> If the above problem persist please ask again, and I will check on the server.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

I got the problem. I had running a SoapServer in my Image which seemed
to made the problems. Now I removed it from the StartUpList and it works.
Thanks for all the advices.

Greetings,
Thomas

Re: seasidehosting.st - which seaside versions work?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Na das sieht ja schon nett aus :) Was schätzt du wann wir das
freigeben können?

- Bert -