seeking your tutorials

Martin Bähr
hi,

i again have the privilege to be part of Google Code-In with FOSSASIA.
as last year i am submitting tasks to motivate students to learn smalltalk.

last year we had great fun working through the tutorials for various
web-frameworks, and this year i want to expand that to any pharo smalltalk
related tutorial. if you have, or know of, any tutorial that can reasonably be
handled by say, someone who read the first 3 chapters in PbE, please send me a link.

the tutorial should be detailed, but doesn't need to be perfect. if there are
bugs in it, then the students will submit bugreports instead of completing the
tutorial, or they will ask you for help to explain something better.

if you have a tutorial, here is your chance to get it tested.

or use this as an opportunity to write a tutorial.

more advanced tutorials are also possible, then we just need to find an
easier tutorial that students can do first, before tackling yours.

i start students off with reading the first 3 chapters of PbE, and then nudge
them towards any other tutorials that i can find.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: seeking your tutorials

stepharo
For when do you need that?
I have the magritte tutorial and we are writing a web tutorial covering
Mongo and Seaside.

stef

Le 9/12/15 10:51, Martin Bähr a écrit :

> hi,
>
> i again have the privilege to be part of Google Code-In with FOSSASIA.
> as last year i am submitting tasks to motivate students to learn smalltalk.
>
> last year we had great fun working through the tutorials for various
> web-frameworks, and this year i want to expand that to any pharo smalltalk
> related tutorial. if you have, or know of, any tutorial that can reasonably be
> handled by say, someone who read the first 3 chapters in PbE, please send me a link.
>
> the tutorial should be detailed, but doesn't need to be perfect. if there are
> bugs in it, then the students will submit bugreports instead of completing the
> tutorial, or they will ask you for help to explain something better.
>
> if you have a tutorial, here is your chance to get it tested.
>
> or use this as an opportunity to write a tutorial.
>

> more advanced tutorials are also possible, then we just need to find an
> easier tutorial that students can do first, before tackling yours.
>

> i start students off with reading the first 3 chapters of PbE, and then nudge
> them towards any other tutorials that i can find.
>

> greetings, martin.

Re: seeking your tutorials

Markus Schlager-2
Hi Martin,

Some material (in German) I use at school (10th Grade, Gymnasium). The
Prof-Stef-Tutorial is about pong, developed with pharo 1.3, I guess, but
changed a little for pharo 3.0.

http://www.gymnasium-untergriesbach.de/system/files/oeffentlich/unterrichtsmaterial/informatik/10.klasse/skript/sr/info10-oop-folien-schlager.pdf

contains an older Squeak-related tutorial of mine and a "Taxi"-Tutorial I
did with Java first (I had to use Java) and later with pharo to have
a comparison.

A short handout I give to my pupils:

http://www.gymnasium-untergriesbach.de/system/files/oeffentlich/unterrichtsmaterial/informatik/10.klasse/sonstiges/sr/smalltalk-werkzeugkiste_2.pdf

There's also a similar Java-Werkzeugkiste on this website covering the
same stuff but significantly longer

Markus

MS-info10-ProfStef-MarkusSchlager.20.mcz (111K) Download Attachment

Re: seeking your tutorials

garduino
stepharo wrote
I have the magritte tutorial and we are writing a web tutorial covering
Mongo and Seaside.
Does exist a new Magritte tutorial? Where?

Thanks!

Re: seeking your tutorials

Stephan Eggermont-3

Re: seeking your tutorials

stepharo
check on github squarebracket / magritte

Le 11/12/15 22:24, garduino a écrit :

> stepharo wrote
>> I have the magritte tutorial and we are writing a web tutorial covering
>> Mongo and Seaside.
> Does exist a new Magritte tutorial? Where?
>
> Thanks!

Re: seeking your tutorials

garduino
ok, thank!

May be is SquareBracketAssociates/Magritte :)

Re: seeking your tutorials

Martin Bähr
sorry, responding to this slipped off my todo-list somehow

Excerpts from stepharo's message of 2015-12-10 20:42:27 +0100:
> For when do you need that?

google code-in is running now, until end of january. new tasks can be added any time.

> I have the magritte tutorial and we are writing a web tutorial covering
> Mongo and Seaside.

this one here?

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/Magritte/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/BookletMagritte.pdf

i am afraid, this looks a bit to advanced. it should be possible to work
through the tutorial in a few hours (or it should be possible to split it up
into multiple tasks.)

here are the tasks and tutorials i used last year:
http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/learning-smalltalk-with-Google-Code-In

i will use some of them again, in particular the one for zinc, as it is very
simple and clear, but i am hoping to find more...

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
--
chief engineer                                                       eKita.co
pike programmer      pike.lysator.liu.se    caudium.net     societyserver.org
secretary                                                      beijinglug.org
mentor                                                           fossasia.org
foresight developer  foresightlinux.org                            realss.com
unix sysadmin
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: seeking your tutorials

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Markus Schlager's message of 2015-12-10 22:55:22 +0100:
> Some material (in German) I use at school (10th Grade, Gymnasium). The
> Prof-Stef-Tutorial is about pong, developed with pharo 1.3, I guess, but
> changed a little for pharo 3.0.
>
> http://www.gymnasium-untergriesbach.de/system/files/oeffentlich/unterrichtsmaterial/informatik/10.klasse/skript/sr/info10-oop-folien-schlager.pdf

this looks interesting. unfortunately, german will not work well, as most, if not all students speak mainly english. i fear that this is a self-selecting problem of GCI
btw: pages 3.7,3.8 and 3.9 are empty

but thank you anyways, i may use this myself when my kids get older :-)

greetings, martin.