self-backporting from P7 to P6.1

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

are there some recommended practices / tooling for custom backporting from P7 to P6.1?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: self-backporting from P7 to P6.1

Guillermo Polito
Esteban did some work on making a forward compatibility package for spec.

github://pharo-contributions/Spec70Compatibility:v1.0.0/src

The idea is that people should do the opposite: code for Pharo7, while being in Pharo 6.

But that covers only Spec. We have to think if there is some automatic solution for all the stream/file changes also.

Peter, I want your file dialog into pharo!

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: self-backporting from P7 to P6.1

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 30 Apr 2018, at 11:41, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Esteban did some work on making a forward compatibility package for spec.
>
> github://pharo-contributions/Spec70Compatibility:v1.0.0/src
>
> The idea is that people should do the opposite: code for Pharo7, while being in Pharo 6.
>
> But that covers only Spec. We have to think if there is some automatic solution for all the stream/file changes also.
>
> Peter, I want your file dialog into pharo!

Me too !!

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there some recommended practices / tooling for custom backporting from P7 to P6.1?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>

> --
>
> Guille Polito
> Research Engineer
>
> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>
> Web: http://guillep.github.io
> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: self-backporting from P7 to P6.1

Peter Uhnak
> The idea is that people should do the opposite: code for Pharo7, while being in Pharo 6.

Exactly. Several times I was put off contributing to P7, because I needed a solution now, and not in year when P7 comes out... so I hacked a workaround instead of a proper fix... which is not good.

> Peter, I want your file dialog into pharo!

Me too !!

Me too. :-D

But I'm finishing my degree in ~45 days so it won't be before that...

Peter

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 12:19 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The idea is that people should do the opposite: code for Pharo7, while being in Pharo 6.

Exactly. Several times I was put off contributing to P7, because I needed a solution now, and not in year when P7 comes out... so I hacked a workaround instead of a proper fix... which is not good.

> Peter, I want your file dialog into pharo!

Me too !!

Me too. :-D

But I'm finishing my degree in ~45 days so it won't be before that...

Finish your degree, that's important too :)

Peter