self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

Sabine Manaa
Hi,

I want to get the ip adress of the user with:

self requestContext request remoteAddress

But this returns always 127.0.0.1, also on the remote system.

E.g. http://ec2-176-34-68-88.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/
in the first line of the page, I did

html text: self requestContext request remoteAddress.

I would expect the ip adress of my provider

Did I miss somethng?

Sabine

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

mmimica
If there is a Http proxy running on your server you will get its ip address.

On Thursday, 11 April 2013, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get the ip adress of the user with:
>
> self requestContext request remoteAddress
>
> But this returns always 127.0.0.1, also on the remote system.
>
> E.g. http://ec2-176-34-68-88.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/
> in the first line of the page, I did
>
> html text: self requestContext request remoteAddress.
>
> I would expect the ip adress of my provider
>
> Did I miss somethng?
>
> Sabine

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

NorbertHartl
Sabine,

if you have a normal setup that would mean you use a front-end web server that accepts requests and forward them to the smalltalk image. In this case the connection would go from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 so the information you are requesting is valid. In this case it is also common that the front-end server writes the originating IP address in a http header. Have a look at

Then I would advize to have a look at the headers of the request in

self requestContext request headers

to find any header containing the information you are looking for in case it is not the one above.

Norbert

Am 11.04.2013 um 17:21 schrieb Milan Mimica <[hidden email]>:

If there is a Http proxy running on your server you will get its ip address.

On Thursday, 11 April 2013, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get the ip adress of the user with:
>
> self requestContext request remoteAddress
>
> But this returns always 127.0.0.1, also on the remote system.
>
> E.g. http://ec2-176-34-68-88.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/
> in the first line of the page, I did
>
> html text: self requestContext request remoteAddress.
>
> I would expect the ip adress of my provider
>
> Did I miss somethng?
>
> Sabine

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

Sabine Manaa
Hi Norbert,
I found it in the "x-forwarded-for" entry header dict.
Thank you!
Sabine

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Norbert Hartl [via Smalltalk]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sabine,
>
> if you have a normal setup that would mean you use a front-end web server
> that accepts requests and forward them to the smalltalk image. In this case
> the connection would go from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 so the information you
> are requesting is valid. In this case it is also common that the front-end
> server writes the originating IP address in a http header. Have a look at
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Forwarded-For
>
> Then I would advize to have a look at the headers of the request in
>
> self requestContext request headers
>
> to find any header containing the information you are looking for in case it
> is not the one above.
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 11.04.2013 um 17:21 schrieb Milan Mimica <[hidden email]>:
>
> If there is a Http proxy running on your server you will get its ip address.
>

> On Thursday, 11 April 2013, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to get the ip adress of the user with:
>>
>> self requestContext request remoteAddress
>>
>> But this returns always 127.0.0.1, also on the remote system.
>>
>> E.g. http://ec2-176-34-68-88.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/
>> in the first line of the page, I did
>>
>> html text: self requestContext request remoteAddress.
>>
>> I would expect the ip adress of my provider
>>
>> Did I miss somethng?
>>
>> Sabine
>>

>> --

> Milan Mimica
> http://sparklet.sf.net

> 127.0.0.1, click here.
> NAML

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

Johan Brichau-2
If you are using nginx as a front-end proxy, you can transmit the IP address of the requester like this:

        location / {
                proxy_pass        <a href="http://localhost:5984;">http://localhost:5984;
                proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
        }

On 11 Apr 2013, at 17:35, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sabine,
>
> if you have a normal setup that would mean you use a front-end web server that accepts requests and forward them to the smalltalk image. In this case the connection would go from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 so the information you are requesting is valid. In this case it is also common that the front-end server writes the originating IP address in a http header. Have a look at
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Forwarded-For
>
> Then I would advize to have a look at the headers of the request in
>
> self requestContext request headers
>
> to find any header containing the information you are looking for in case it is not the one above.
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 11.04.2013 um 17:21 schrieb Milan Mimica <[hidden email]>:
>
>> If there is a Http proxy running on your server you will get its ip address.
>>

>> On Thursday, 11 April 2013, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I want to get the ip adress of the user with:
>> >
>> > self requestContext request remoteAddress
>> >
>> > But this returns always 127.0.0.1, also on the remote system.
>> >
>> > E.g. http://ec2-176-34-68-88.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/
>> > in the first line of the page, I did
>> >
>> > html text: self requestContext request remoteAddress.
>> >
>> > I would expect the ip adress of my provider
>> >
>> > Did I miss somethng?
>> >
>> > Sabine
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> --
>> Milan Mimica
>> http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

Sabine Manaa
Hi Johann,

thank you for your answer.
I use the  "x-forwarded-for" entry header dict, which was suggested by Norbert.

Sabine

Am 13.04.2013 um 13:49 schrieb Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Johann,
>
> thank you for your answer.
> I use the  "x-forwarded-for" entry header dict, which was suggested by
> Norbert.

Just a little note. The X-Fowarded-For header is a list of IPs. The idea is that every proxy/server that mangels the request is added to the list of IPs. So if you do

($, split: (headerString  copyWithout: Character space)) first

you get the first IP which should be the client. I think in most cases you'll find a single ip but the above is more safe.

The proposal of Johan is to use nginx as a helper to ease this process. By using the real ip module in nginx the server selects one address from available sources and sets a specific header. Might be a good idea to use it that way. At least I can find in my server configs the exact same line that Johan proposed. And that means he stole it from server. Damn you, belgian hacker!

Norbert_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

On 13 Apr 2013, at 14:20, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At least I can find in my server configs the exact same line that Johan proposed. And that means he stole it from server. Damn you, belgian hacker!

The Russians got to it first [1] !!! ;-)

[1] http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpProxyModule_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

Sabine Manaa
The germans will use it as soon as they need it;-)
I am only logging the ip adresses of my users.
So long this solution is enough for me.
Thanks!

Am 13.04.2013 um 20:16 schrieb Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]>:

The germans will use it as soon as they need it;-)

Strong statement! Where do you think I'm from? Small hint: The distance between you and me is roughly twice as much as between Johan and me :)

Norbert

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2013, at 14:20, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> At least I can find in my server configs the exact same line that Johan
>> proposed. And that means he stole it from server. Damn you, belgian hacker!
>
> The Russians got to it first [1] !!! ;-)
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpProxyModule_______________________________________________
> seaside mailing list

> 127.0.0.1, click here.
> NAML

Re: self requestContext request remoteAddress always 127.0.0.1

Sabine Manaa
Ups, sorry.
You are from Cologne...nice Town!
I did misunderstand the conversation about the russians and belgians.
Greetings from sunny Freiburg
Sabine