sending emails

ching
Hi Seaside,

Can anyone enlighten me on how to send emails programmatically from Squeak? Is there a mail server in Squeak that can be used for this purpose as opposed to a stand-alone third-party mail server?

Many thanks in advance.

Ching

Re: sending emails

Randal L. Schwartz

Ching> Can anyone enlighten me on how to send emails programmatically from Squeak?
Ching> Is there a mail server in Squeak that can be used for this purpose as
Ching> opposed to a stand-alone third-party mail server?

Why do you need a mail server in Squeak?  I think you're looking for a mail
client.  And this client (there's a few for squeak) must connect with *some*
mail server in the world to be able to attempt delivery, and that mail server
must trust the mail client.  So, you'll need to know what mail server trusts
your machine from your current location, and use that.  That mail server will
in turn deliver the mail to your final location.

RE: sending emails

Ramon Leon-5
> Hi Seaside,
>
> Can anyone enlighten me on how to send emails
> programmatically from Squeak? Is there a mail server in
> Squeak that can be used for this purpose as opposed to a
> stand-alone third-party mail server?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ching

Call MailSender setSmtpServer and configure your smtp host, then use
something like this...

SeasidePlatformSupport
        deliverMailFrom: '[hidden email]'
        to: {'[hidden email]'. '[hidden email]'}
        text: (String streamContents: [:s |
                nextPutAll: 'Subject: ' ;
                nextPutAll: 'Your Subject' ;
                cr ;
                nextPutAll: 'Content-type:' ;
                nextPutAll: 'text/html' ; "or text/plain"
                cr ; cr ;
                nextPutAll: 'Bla Bla Bla' ])

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: sending emails

Randal L. Schwartz

Ramon>                 nextPutAll: 'text/html' ; "or text/plain"

Keep in mind that for a significant portion of the internet, providing an
HTML-only email will cause it to be ignored or worse, mark you as a spammer.

Use text/plain, or at least multipart/alternative with a text/plain payload
choice, please.

RE: sending emails

Ramon Leon-5

> Ramon>                 nextPutAll: 'text/html' ; "or text/plain"
>
> Keep in mind that for a significant portion of the internet,
> providing an HTML-only email will cause it to be ignored or
> worse, mark you as a spammer.
>
> Use text/plain, or at least multipart/alternative with a
> text/plain payload choice, please.

Oh I couldn't agree more, I was just avoiding the next question, how do I do
html emails.  I despise them myself, but I've accepted that most people
really just don't care, and html emails aren't going away, no matter how
much I rant and rave about it.  Also on my shit list are giant signatures
with attached images of scanned signatures that dwarf the tiny emails
they're attached to.  I routinely receive emails from one guy who's sig is
nearly a page and a half long.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: sending emails

Randal L. Schwartz

Ramon>   I despise them myself, but I've accepted that most people
Ramon> really just don't care, and html emails aren't going away, no matter how
Ramon> much I rant and rave about it.

Exactly.  But we might as well tell people, for the record, how to do it
right, so that if they do it wrong later, we won't be held to blame. :)

Re: sending emails

ching

On Jan 4, 2008 12:02 PM, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Seaside,
>
> Can anyone enlighten me on how to send emails
> programmatically from Squeak? Is there a mail server in
> Squeak that can be used for this purpose as opposed to a
> stand-alone third-party mail server?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ching

Call MailSender setSmtpServer and configure your smtp host, then use
something like this...

SeasidePlatformSupport
       deliverMailFrom: '[hidden email]'
       to: {'[hidden email]'. '[hidden email]'}
       text: (String streamContents: [:s |
               nextPutAll: 'Subject: ' ;
               nextPutAll: 'Your Subject' ;
               cr ;
               nextPutAll: 'Content-type:' ;
               nextPutAll: 'text/html' ; "or text/plain"
               cr ; cr ;
               nextPutAll: 'Bla Bla Bla' ])
Thanks Ramon,
I am currently downloading the new Seaside one-click experience because I have way too much junk in my old Squeak image I don't know what works anymore. I will surely try  out  this code.

Do I need some sort of login/authentication code to access my mail server at: '[hidden email]'?

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: sending emails

ching

On Jan 4, 2008 12:24 PM, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ramon>                 nextPutAll: 'text/html' ; "or text/plain"
>
> Keep in mind that for a significant portion of the internet,
> providing an HTML-only email will cause it to be ignored or
> worse, mark you as a spammer.
>
> Use text/plain, or at least multipart/alternative with a
> text/plain payload choice, please.

Oh I couldn't agree more, I was just avoiding the next question, how do I do
html emails.  I despise them myself, but I've accepted that most people
really just don't care, and html emails aren't going away, no matter how
much I rant and rave about it.  Also on my shit list are giant signatures
with attached images of scanned signatures that dwarf the tiny emails
they're attached to.  I routinely receive emails from one guy who's sig is
nearly a page and a half long.

Hi Ramon,
I am certainly glad I know nothing about those scanned signatures, I always wondered about that whenever I come to the close of an email and there is a box which says "use signature". and I just do not have the luxury of those pesky things while I muddle around what works in the most simple manner possible.
Cheers,
Ching

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: sending emails

Randal L. Schwartz

Ching> Do I need some sort of login/authentication code to access my mail server
Ching> at: '[hidden email]'?

Only your ISP's admin will know the answer to that.  Not us.

Re: sending emails

Michael Davies-2
On Jan 4, 2008 7:06 AM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ching> Do I need some sort of login/authentication code to access my mail server
> Ching> at: '[hidden email]'?
>
> Only your ISP's admin will know the answer to that.  Not us.

There's a good post at http://blog.saush.com/?p=199 on this topic,
which specifically mentions authentication.

Re: sending emails

ching

On Jan 4, 2008 7:31 PM, Michael Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ching> Do I need some sort of login/authentication code to access my mail server
> Ching> at: '[hidden email]'?
>
> Only your ISP's admin will know the answer to that.  Not us.

There's a good post at http://blog.saush.com/?p=199 on this topic,
which specifically mentions authentication.

Thanks a lot, Michael,  Randall

Re: sending emails

ching
Hi Seaside,

I evaluated the following code suggested :

username:= 'userName'.
password:='passWord'.
client := SMTPClient openOnHostNamed: 'mail.mydomain.com ' port: 25.
client user: username; password: password; login; initiateSession.
client mailFrom: '[hidden email]';
     recipient: '[hidden email]';
     data:
'Subject: Hello from SMTPClient!
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Sending from SMTPClient!'.
client quit.

and I got the following response from the mail server on mydomain.com:
    '503 AUTH command used when not advertised'

Thanks for any solution to this problem,

Ching

On Jan 5, 2008 9:58 AM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ching> Do I need some sort of login/authentication code to access my mail server
> Ching> at: '[hidden email]'?
>
> Only your ISP's admin will know the answer to that.  Not us.

There's a good post at http://blog.saush.com/?p=199 on this topic,
which specifically mentions authentication.

Thanks a lot, Michael,  Randall

Re: sending emails

Tom Phoenix
On Jan 6, 2008 5:14 AM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I evaluated the following code suggested :
>
> username:= 'userName'.
> password:='passWord'.
> client := SMTPClient openOnHostNamed: 'mail.mydomain.com ' port: 25.
> client user: username; password: password; login; initiateSession.
> client mailFrom: '[hidden email]';
>      recipient: ' [hidden email]';
>      data:
> 'Subject: Hello from SMTPClient!
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Sending from SMTPClient!'.
> client quit.
>
> and I got the following response from the mail server on mydomain.com:
>     '503 AUTH command used when not advertised'

I hope you didn't really bother the nice people at mydomain.com. You
did use your own SMTP server, didn't you?

Does it matter to you that messages such as #initiateSession are
listed only in the "private protocol"? The "public protocol" includes
#mailFrom:to:text:.

Have you tried stepping through your code to see what step it was
trying to do when it got that message?

Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix

Re: sending emails

ching

On Jan 7, 2008 1:12 AM, Tom Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 6, 2008 5:14 AM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I evaluated the following code suggested :
>
> username:= 'userName'.
> password:='passWord'.
> client := SMTPClient openOnHostNamed: 'mail.mydomain.com ' port: 25.
> client user: username; password: password; login; initiateSession.
> client mailFrom: '[hidden email]';
>      recipient: ' [hidden email]';
>      data:
> 'Subject: Hello from SMTPClient!
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Sending from SMTPClient!'.
> client quit.
>
> and I got the following response from the mail server on mydomain.com:
>     '503 AUTH command used when not advertised'

I hope you didn't really bother the nice people at mydomain.com. You
did use your own SMTP server, didn't you?

Tom, I did send a support ticket in this regard asking for their help in accomplishing what i wanted to do which was to send emails from squeak. I wanted to see if I could use their SMTP server since my account included email capability. I assumed that sending emails from squeak would be possible if I could find the mechanism for authenticating a session using my account with their servers.

the code snippet that I used comes form  http://blog.saush.com/?p=199 and I merely copied it and tried it on a workspace. I assume that messages like #initiateSession interacts with the SMTP server in the prescribed manner for authenticating the source of the session as evidenced by the need for username/password.

Have you tried stepping through your code to see what step it was
trying to do when it got that message?

Googling '503 AUTH command used when not advertised', I gathered that certain steps needed to be be accomplished which included issuing the EHLO command before the AUTH command. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this at all.

Thanks for the input, Tom

Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix

Re: sending emails

Tom Phoenix
On Jan 6, 2008 7:23 PM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I hope you didn't really bother the nice people at mydomain.com. You
> > did use your own SMTP server, didn't you?
>
> Tom, I did send a support ticket in this regard asking for their help in
> accomplishing what i wanted to do which was to send emails from squeak. I
> wanted to see if I could use their SMTP server since my account included
> email capability. I assumed that sending emails from squeak would be
> possible if I could find the mechanism for authenticating a session using my
> account with their servers.

So, does that mean that you have some preexisting relationship with
them, and so mydomain.com wasn't being used as a placeholder, like
example.com? At least, I hope your password isn't "passWord"!

> Googling '503 AUTH command used when not advertised', I gathered that
> certain steps needed to be be accomplished which included issuing the EHLO
> command before the AUTH command. I was wondering if anyone had any
> experience with this at all.

Sure; lots of folks. They hang out in forums whose topic is "SMTP", or
something similar. Although some SMTP experts may also be found on the
Seaside list, they'll give you better answers faster in their own
forum.

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix

Re: sending emails

ching

On Jan 7, 2008 11:56 AM, Tom Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 6, 2008 7:23 PM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I hope you didn't really bother the nice people at mydomain.com. You
> > did use your own SMTP server, didn't you?
>
> Tom, I did send a support ticket in this regard asking for their help in
> accomplishing what i wanted to do which was to send emails from squeak. I
> wanted to see if I could use their SMTP server since my account included
> email capability. I assumed that sending emails from squeak would be
> possible if I could find the mechanism for authenticating a session using my
> account with their servers.

So, does that mean that you have some preexisting relationship with
them, and so mydomain.com wasn't being used as a placeholder, like
example.com? At least, I hope your password isn't "passWord"!

Yes, I have a pre-existing relationship with them. No, " mydomain.com" is just a placeholder like "example.com". my actual domain name, paid for by me,  is registered and hosted by those nice people (i did not want to advertise the actual domain name) and no, the password is not "passWord". I was under the impression that I had some kind of rights to use the mail server for sending mails from squeak and not just using webmail or outlook express (manually emailing)

> Googling '503 AUTH command used when not advertised', I gathered that
> certain steps needed to be be accomplished which included issuing the EHLO
> command before the AUTH command. I was wondering if anyone had any
> experience with this at all.

Sure; lots of folks. They hang out in forums whose topic is "SMTP", or
something similar. Although some SMTP experts may also be found on the
Seaside list, they'll give you better answers faster in their own
forum.

You're right there, Tom. I did find a lot of  discussion  regarding this particular topic but largely these discussions are specific to some mail servers they are using. I did find the RFC document that mentions the 503 AUTH error and it was a very general document. I was looking for something relating to Squeak  and seaside because I am sure many Squeakers/Seasiders have successfully implemented emailing out from Squeak. I would like to know if anyone has been where I am now and would appreciate their input.

Thanks

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix